English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 February 2013, 00:06   #1
MrX_Cuci

New AAA+ title in the works for Amiga: LEONA's Tricky Adventures

Check out the kickstarter project: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cky-adventures

Looks pretty good imho. 60 pounds for the boxed Amiga version complete with a nice T-shirt. Music by Chris Hulsbeck.
Old 22 February 2013, 07:19   #2
fishyfish
Banned

Im conflicted here. Great to see a new boxed title with "trinkets", but 60 pounds is a bit rich for me at the moment.

Good luck to all involved though.
Old 22 February 2013, 07:47   #3
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
looks like it won´t be done for classic amiga...not interesting enough for me...
Old 22 February 2013, 09:09   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
if the game runs on amiga 1200 with turbo cards and is great for 60 pounds, i'll be in
Old 22 February 2013, 09:20   #5
fishyfish
Banned

Given the target platforms Id hazard a guess its using SDL, hence no os3.x/68k version. While there is SDL for os3.x it typically increases requirements, so making it the realm of emulation only.

It using SDL is just an assumption on my part however. Could also be that theyre wanting a certain quality of graphics and sound, ergo using 16/24/32 bit color graphics + rta .
While 68k/aga fans are often familiar with the quality attainable on their machines, it can take some effort and knowledge to get good results when downscaling. Perhaps theyre not willing to compromise and/or spend the time required for the sake of 1 platform.

Who knows though, if they can receive a proportional amount (per platform) of "donations" from people under stipulation of a 68k/aga version then maybe they'd be willing to outsource the graphics and sound work required if they can find someone to volunteer their time.

Again, this is all guess work on my part, only they know for sure thus far, but if enough people interested contact them with a friendly inquiry then Im sure we could find out. :-)
Old 22 February 2013, 10:12   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

sorry but if they want to really make a bit of money, developping for 68060 or anything higher is an error, because there is too few people owning these configurations.

and yes, to me kickstarter is really the way to go, for developping new games for amiga classic (1200/AGA/030 mini).
Old 22 February 2013, 10:14   #7
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I'm all for new Amiga stuff, but I just can't see them hitting their target when their demographic audience is so small.

Is there really enough people left in the Dreamcast community to contribute enough? Is there really enough non-68000 Amiga owners to contribute enough?

They should seriously reconsider or I just don't see the project getting off the ground.
Old 22 February 2013, 10:30   #8
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Yes ! there are many guys on dreamcast, it should not be a problem. However for the amiga, this is clearly a huge mistake. Amiga OS4, Aros, or Morphos OS (this one is really the fail in the list)
Old 22 February 2013, 11:06   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

The trailer ingame stuff looks way too homebrewish, no AAA+ feeling at all. 60 pounds for a boxed version? Well, the Dreamcast scene will maybe buy it, there are enough hardcore fans.
Old 22 February 2013, 13:37   #10
vitux
Banned

Someone finally supports the Amiga in a professional and you only see the negative aspects?...Do not understand.
I love to see the logo Amiga in a box, again, this is very important and can help to encourage other companies.
I think there are more people with 060 of what is believed, but surely this game will only be for OS4.
Old 22 February 2013, 13:40   #11
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Erhm what?

Check: homebrewish look = yes
Check: 60 Pounds for a boxed version = way too expensive
Check: No classic Amiga version? = for 3,5 OS4/AROS people?
Old 22 February 2013, 14:00   #12
vitux
Banned

This shotter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...sega-dreamcast completed successfully unannounced Amiga version and they say that this has helped make other versions.
I hope the Amiga version is one of them.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:10   #13
OlafSch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Erhm what?

Classic is simply not realistic. Even if they would there would be people that moan that it not runs on standard A500 or A1200. We have 2013 now. I do not know if they reach the limit but at least it would be nice. They have a cross-platform tool so if they would support amiga-platforms in future it would help to get more games in future. And it is free advertising too. Who now knows that there is still a community and some (more or less) living platforms?
Old 22 February 2013, 14:12   #14
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Of course it's not realistic via Kickstarter. Not for 68k or OS4 games. I'm pretty sure that 9 of 10 backers backed for the Dreamcast version so far.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:27   #15
fishyfish
Banned

Quote:
Erhm what?

If youre so against it and have such little interest or regard then what's the problem? You clearly wouldnt buy it anyway?

Also, what the heck does "No classic Amiga version? = for 3,5 OS4/AROS people?" mean?
Im assuming its some sort of bullshit figures for the platform audience?
There's not a giant audience, but collectively between OS4.x/AROS/MOS there's an audience in the low thousands. Now hypothetically if there was enough DC users to make it to 5000 collectively (very likely under the real figure) then their goal is well within the realm of feasibility.

Now there's also the fact that it's using a "multiplatform engine", which again suggests its using SDL. Perhaps constructive criticism rather than whining would be a better idea?

There's also the fact that NG system users are often more willing to spend a few dollars to support software development (tens of thousands of dollars in bounties for starters, plus much quicker with donations).

If the negativity is due to disappointment, then perhaps as I suggested contacting the people behind it is a better idea? If youre not interested, then whats the problem? Who are you to tell others what they can spend their time developing? If it fails then so be it, but at least they gave it a crack
Old 22 February 2013, 14:28   #16
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The great thing about kickstarter is that noone forces you to back the project if you don't like it. I'm not interested in the game personally, but why would I complain if people are interested? It's their decision if they want to spend money on it.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:35   #17
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I don't complain about it. But it seems that this planned Amiga version will be (if sucessfull) a by-product since the Dreamcast version is the main project. Remove the Dreamcast version from this project and it would be an epic fail. Low thousands interested in the Amiga OS4/AROS version? I highly doubt that. Most of the "modern" Amiga scene user wants to work seriously with there machines, not that keen about games.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 22 February 2013 at 14:42.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:41   #18
Amiga1992

Sorry, any way you look at it, 60 pounds is way too much for a game of this quality. This is far from "AAA+", which is what you expect from a gigantic studio production. I can get much more polished, better, more original indie games for far less, too. Unrealistic cost having in mind today's market.

Also saying "for Amiga" is a bit of a stretch. But here we would enter the fight between those who have brand fetish and those of us who actually attach Amiga to a specific type of hardware and I have no energy to fight zealots.
Dreamcast is cool though.

If you want to see what real indie retro gaming of commercial grade should be like, go no further than RGCD http://www.rgcd.co.uk/
I would suggest anyone who is thinking of making a game for a retro machine to work with these awesome fellas.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:46   #19
fishyfish
Banned

I didnt suggest there's thousands of people who might be interested in NG "amiga" version, but rather the potential audience.
I must question just how much involvement youve had with "NG" amiga systems if you're under the impression "most of the 'modern' amiga scene user want to work seriously with there machines, not that keen about game.s"?

Ive done a few dozen ports to AROS, all of them gaming oriented. M.A.M.E is much more uptodate on NG systems vs "classic" version. Games like Hexen2, quake3, wolfenstein enemy territory, Doom3, PRBoom (gl + enhance Doom version), Odamex, UFO AI, TORCS, Assault Cube, and dozens upon dozens of others, simply dont exist for OS3.x, when they could if there was interest in porting them.

The difference being that there's also the potential for other "modern" software as well, so developers try to fill that niche as well.

Sorry, I dont mean to be attacking you and I have no interest in doing so. It's just a pet peeve of mine when people try to shape an arguement with something they clearly have little knowledge (or perhaps interest) in.
Old 22 February 2013, 14:46   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
But it seems that this planned Amiga version will be (if sucessfull) a by-product since the Dreamcast version is the main project.
Surely will be. I can understand if people would complain that there's no version for PC or Mac or something, but I can fully understand that they don't go for a 68k version...