English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 August 2019, 09:12   #901
LieutLaww

If you are going to be installing 3.1.4 you shouldn't need to change the CF max transfer values anymore, I didn't when I installed mine and all the videos i have seen of people installing it they didn't change it either and as someone else has said use 3.1.4's FFS before trying something else.
Old 02 August 2019, 09:25   #902
ItsTheSmell

Umm I think you've misread what I wrote. I have 2 machines.
Old 02 August 2019, 10:30   #903
LieutLaww

I may have done sorry :P
Old 05 August 2019, 12:00   #904
B2k_ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieutLaww View Post
If you are going to be installing 3.1.4 you shouldn't need to change the CF max transfer values anymore, I didn't when I installed mine and all the videos i have seen of people installing it they didn't change it either and as someone else has said use 3.1.4's FFS before trying something else.

Sorry to disapoint
But for now the BUG is still there

See here

http://se.aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.1.4-FAQ.txt

It still can go wrong if you leave Max Transfer untouched
Old 05 August 2019, 14:43   #905
ItsTheSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2k_ad View Post
Sorry to disapoint<br />
But for now the BUG is still there<br />
<br />
<br />
See here<br />
<br />
<a href="http://se.aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.1.4-FAQ.txt" target="_blank">http://se.aminet.net/docs/help/AmigaOS_3.1.4-FAQ.txt</a><br />
<br />
<br />
It still can go wrong if you leave Max Transfer untouched
<br />
<br />
Last night I got my 20gb HDD and installed 3.1.4 with fast filesystem, I did a 200mb system partition and split the rest into 2 partitions of around 9.5gb but ffs couldn't handle them. Switched back to PFS3-AIO and so far it seems OK. Didn't get time to do any real testing.

Last edited by ItsTheSmell; 05 August 2019 at 14:51.
Old 05 August 2019, 19:14   #906
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
<br />
<br />
Last night I got my 20gb HDD and installed 3.1.4 with fast filesystem, I did a 200mb system partition and split the rest into 2 partitions of around 9.5gb but ffs couldn't handle them. Switched back to PFS3-AIO and so far it seems OK. Didn't get time to do any real testing.
It should be that any boot partition under 4 GB with FFS should be bootable when it's also in RDB. Once SetPatch is run then it'll notice all partitions past the 4GB limit - bast the beginning of the disk/FC/SD.. I don't have all the changes for 3.1.4(.1) memorized, but I thought it could now handle much larger partitions..

Here's how to get your 200MB + 9.5 GB x2 partitions to function.. I did it in WinUAE..

1) Pref the CF or HD using HDToolBox.

2) Reset, then format ONLY the first 200 MB partition. Now install OS 3.1.4 to it.

3) Copy CPU libs to Libs and rename Intuition..to allow it to be active.

4) Reboot/Reset...and 200 MB partition will be used. If you format 2nd and 3rd partitions it'll crash, it locked WinUAE here. I haven't done this with my real hardware yet.

5) Now do a quick format for 2nd partition. Full Format won't happen, it'll revert to quick. For some reason this is where the crash is happening. (I was testing Full format). It shouldn't crash or lock. You could then attempt to format 3rd partition after 2nd. If it crashes, reset..and do it again. It should be fine then.

6. I have access, but I haven't written anything else to any partitions but I can see all 3 are "showing" functional.

7. You could have Amiga OS update to 3.1.4.1 after 3.1.4. I updated after in hopes the FFS would do fine that way. Anyway, report back if you use this method. I used your partitions in this test.
Old 05 August 2019, 20:33   #907
ItsTheSmell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC HACKER! View Post
It should be that any boot partition under 4 GB with FFS should be bootable when it's also in RDB. Once SetPatch is run then it'll notice all partitions past the 4GB limit - bast the beginning of the disk/FC/SD.. I don't have all the changes for 3.1.4(.1) memorized, but I thought it could now handle much larger partitions..

Here's how to get your 200MB + 9.5 GB x2 partitions to function.. I did it in WinUAE..

1) Pref the CF or HD using HDToolBox.

2) Reset, then format ONLY the first 200 MB partition. Now install OS 3.1.4 to it.

3) Copy CPU libs to Libs and rename Intuition..to allow it to be active.

4) Reboot/Reset...and 200 MB partition will be used. If you format 2nd and 3rd partitions it'll crash, it locked WinUAE here. I haven't done this with my real hardware yet.

5) Now do a quick format for 2nd partition. Full Format won't happen, it'll revert to quick. For some reason this is where the crash is happening. (I was testing Full format). It shouldn't crash or lock. You could then attempt to format 3rd partition after 2nd. If it crashes, reset..and do it again. It should be fine then.

6. I have access, but I haven't written anything else to any partitions but I can see all 3 are "showing" functional.

7. You could have Amiga OS update to 3.1.4.1 after 3.1.4. I updated after in hopes the FFS would do fine that way. Anyway, report back if you use this method. I used your partitions in this test.
That's a lot of work to get it going, thanks for this update. Now I've got pfs3 on the HDD I'll keep using it until I get an issue and if I do I'll switch it back to ffs. Can u have a HDD with 2 partitions with different formats
?
Old 05 August 2019, 21:07   #908
AC/DC HACKER!

Not really a lot of "work" when you've been an Amiga user for many, many years....and you explore things beyond the average user. Smiling. I have made some very interesting configurations at times. Indeed, you May have more than 1 partition with more than 1 File System. But the RDB will only contain so many..unless you change the storage value; that's more for advanced usage..(or you enjoy playing around and learning..). I currently have older FFS on my main Boot early partition for older recovery software. PFS-AIO for my other partitions...and larger partitions.

I also have more than 1 CompactFlash for testing. Soon I'm going to really get into testing new FFS more. DiskDoctor still seems to have some problems with recovering from deleted files from patterns; or I'm not using the new syntax correctly yet. But I haven't done much with it yet.

Again, the above was with WinUAE...which does a really good job mimicking an A4000 that I have. So, I'll check real hardware soon. The max I would go with different File Systems at once are 2. 3 can be pushing it..depending on size. 4..can corrupt as soon as you save the RDB...at least in one of my tests with 3.1 and 3.5 it did. Again, older FFS..and older HDToolBox (allows for ASKDEVICE ToolType. I love that, I don't always want to change the device I'm using in ToolTypes.

Glad you have it functional with PFS3. Thumbs up. I'm using that with a SanDisk Extreme because I cannot get any other File System to work with it...and it's 32GB..and I have most of the space filled.
Old 06 August 2019, 19:38   #909
AC/DC HACKER!

I found a bug or shot-coming with OS 3.1.4. My Kingston 32BG CF cards, if I prep them as new with HDToolBox (NOT writing/saving anything to them..) they are then seen as 8GB when clicking "Read configuration". If I don't do that, and go into editing partitions they're all there. I'm able to delete but not create a new partition outside the 4 or 8GB limit.

Note: The crash before was a seek failure. Installing from OS 3.1.4 *without update to 3.1.4.1* will cause a seek fail beyond 4GB on my Kingston CF.

If you don't have Windows (access to WinUAE) then you have to only use your Amiga. What I did to get around this is..and some people might ONLY want to do it with their real hardware.. Boot from Install3.1.4 floppy, copy HDToolBox into RAM: so data files aren't saved to your floppy. Prep CompactFlash that's larger than 8GB as 8GB. Edit partitions so you only have 1 at the beginning. About 400MB or less. It's going to be "killed" anyway in the next process. DON'T USE Long Filenames at this point; the partition won't show after reset.

Save that. Reboot to floppy.. Quick Format new partition on CF. Now install OS 3.1.4.

Once in stalled, reboot from CF. Now run HDToolBox. Do a "Read configuration" and you'll see your 32GB CF read as 30GB (or whatever size beyond 8GB). It's a good reminder that you don't want to use all of your CF..helps prevent "Read Locks" for a while. Now, Okay, and ok. Go edit your partitions and save.

Now, boot from Install3.1.4 floppy and this time only format the 1ST partition (SYS) with a Quick Format. Otherwise there will be a seek error. Now, install the OS. Once done, reboot..after renaming Intuition removing the "-45". You now have a full WB and OS 3.1.4's Intuition is active (copy over your CPU Libs now if you didn't before.). Now add more partitions and format any you created before.

For advanced users..there are other work-arounds, of course. I'm betting, ItsTheSmell, this helps you.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 06 August 2019 at 19:52.
Old 09 August 2019, 00:16   #910
ItsTheSmell

Thanks AC/DC, to e honest Im having great success with the 20gb hdd ive installed. when its running its silent but without the read/write drawbacks of flash media. Ive set it up with a 200mb System partition and left the rest for games and stuff. Not had a single issue even after putting all the updates and bestWB's. One thing that happened today though, I ran Anticlick while I was moving AGA & CD32 games into their respective folders, after about 40 minutes the FDD light came, I got a DF0:uninitialised, the light stayed on for a few minutes and then anticlick got disabled and it started clicking. Its the old 'fix 3 bugs and create 10 more' syndrome.

Last edited by ItsTheSmell; 09 August 2019 at 01:13.
Old 09 August 2019, 09:48   #911
Thomas Richter

Quote:
I found a bug or shot-coming with OS 3.1.4. My Kingston 32BG CF cards, if I prep them as new with HDToolBox (NOT writing/saving anything to them..) they are then seen as 8GB when clicking "Read configuration".
If so, can you please run "SCSIQuery" on the affected CF card and post the output here? SCSIQuery is in Aminet. There is no inherent 8GB boundary anywhere, so something that is returned from the drive is probably a bit unusual.
Old 09 August 2019, 18:55   #912
AC/DC HACKER!

Would I be willing to help?? *Pondering.....* Joke. Haha. Sure!!!

Kingston1 has several partitions..and I updated one to 3.1.4.

Kingston2 is used to do a fresh install of OS 3.1.4 then updated.

I think none of that matters, and it's only the CF data that matters. Or you prefer in Zip or..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheSmell View Post
Thanks AC/DC, to be honest I'm having great success with the 20gb hdd I've installed.[...]
Thumbs up!

Edit: Attached removed since request fulfilled.

Last edited by AC/DC HACKER!; 10 August 2019 at 22:22.
Old 10 August 2019, 20:46   #913
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Would I be willing to help?? *Pondering.....* Joke. Haha. Sure!!!

Kingston1 has several partitions..and I updated one to 3.1.4.
Thanks, got it. Unfortunately, this week I will have no time to look into it, I'm on my way to a conference in San Diego, but I'll check next week what I can do. SCSIQuery does not matter which partition you run it on. It only takes the partition to determine the drive it should query.
Old 10 August 2019, 22:20   #914
AC/DC HACKER!

You're welcome. For a work around I'm going to combine release with update on copy of Installer disk and check that...in a bit.
Old 20 August 2019, 20:21   #915
supercompman

First I want to say thank you to all who contributed to 3.1.4 and 3.1.4.1; I can only imagine the tremendous amount of work that went into these releases.

That said, I am seeing a few peculiar things. I'm probably the oddball here trying to run 3.1.4.1 on a 7MHz 68010, but launching applications from Workbench is _much_ slower than with 3.1. I doubt that this is particularly noticeable on a decent '020 or better. For a vanilla installation of FinalWriter 97, with OS 3.1 it would take approximately 5 seconds to get to the dialog asking about what screen mode to use for opening the FinalWriter screen; with 3.1.4.1 it now takes more than 20 seconds. AWeb is at least 10 seconds slower to start, as well as most other applications. Launching these same applications via the command line or the "Execute Command" dialog launches them in the same amount of time as OS 3.1 would launch them.

Also, probably not directly related, when using IconLib_46.4 from aminet, TurboText 2.0 crashes and reboots the whole system. Launching TurboText from the command line works fine. Using the icon.library included with 3.1.4.1 launches TurboText just fine (albeit slowly) from Workbench.

Any thoughts as to what is going on here would greatly be appreciated. I'm very curious if anyone else has noticed these things.
Old 20 August 2019, 20:52   #916
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercompman View Post
That said, I am seeing a few peculiar things. I'm probably the oddball here trying to run 3.1.4.1 on a 7MHz 68010, but launching applications from Workbench is _much_ slower than with 3.1. I doubt that this is particularly noticeable on a decent '020 or better. For a vanilla installation of FinalWriter 97, with OS 3.1 it would take approximately 5 seconds to get to the dialog asking about what screen mode to use for opening the FinalWriter screen; with 3.1.4.1 it now takes more than 20 seconds. AWeb is at least 10 seconds slower to start, as well as most other applications. Launching these same applications via the command line or the "Execute Command" dialog launches them in the same amount of time as OS 3.1 would launch them.
Hmm.. Most times I'm using my Picasso4 so I don't really notice it. However, I think I noticed some speed differences a while ago when I was using AGA only (Moved the PicassoIV monitor out of Monitors). I'll check here also, since I also have 3.5 installed without being updated. I could also do a vanilla install of 3.1 while keeping my CPU libs with Final Writer. I'll report back in a bit (might be today, or 2 days from now). Oddballs tend to notice "bugs", so...good thing to be. Maybe I'll see the same results.
Old 21 August 2019, 12:13   #917
daxb

@supercompman:
Do you have OS 3.1 and 3.1.4.1 on the same partition and filesystem? I.e. everything is the same but not the OS version?
Old 21 August 2019, 17:11   #918
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Edit: Attached removed since request fulfilled.
Sorry, could you provide this once more? Embarrassing, I know, but I might have lost this in all the traveling.
Old 21 August 2019, 17:12   #919
Thomas Richter

Quote:
That said, I am seeing a few peculiar things. I'm probably the oddball here trying to run 3.1.4.1 on a 7MHz 68010, but launching applications from Workbench is _much_ slower than with 3.1.
There is an entire section in the FAQ on "Oh, why is it so slow". Did you read that?
Quote:
Also, probably not directly related, when using IconLib_46.4 from aminet, TurboText 2.0 crashes and reboots the whole system. Launching TurboText from the command line works fine. Using the icon.library included with 3.1.4.1 launches TurboText just fine (albeit slowly) from Workbench.

Any thoughts as to what is going on here would greatly be appreciated. I'm very curious if anyone else has noticed these things.
As in "you're using the wrong icon.library"?
Old 21 August 2019, 19:47   #920
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Sorry, could you provide this once more? Embarrassing, I know, but I might have lost this in all the traveling.
No way, man. Once was it. Hahaha! I'm glad I ditched embarrassment many years ago.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Kingston.rar (3.0 KB, 40 views)