English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 October 2009, 18:08   #1
mattbarton.exe

Matt's System Shock 2 Video Review

Hi, guys! I hope you like my new YouTube video about [ Show youtube player ]. It is a pain to get running on a modern system, but worth the trouble. It's a good scary game for you to enjoy during Halloween!

[ Show youtube player ]

P.S. In case you missed it, last week's episode was on [ Show youtube player ].
Old 18 October 2009, 00:53   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Never played System Shock 2... I am amazed at the number of games I have never really heard of... I think I am going to have to live to be around 165 to be able to play all these games... I am not even going to start to think about all the games that haven't been released yet...!
Old 18 October 2009, 01:02   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I played System shock 1 a lot, but due to the problems with XP, I never got into System Shock 2 yet. Found some info though and I guess I should really give this one a try. Thanks for the heads up Matt
Old 18 October 2009, 01:06   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

System Shock 2 is one of my favorite FPS games, together with the Thief series and Deus Ex. Yep, very creepy indeed. The Action RPG elements fits the gameplay/story. Should play it again.
Old 18 October 2009, 02:18   #5
Si-Pie

Another great video Matt thanx. Love System Shock 1 and 2. Never actually got around to finishing System Shock 2 but may try and get it up and running again and give it a go.
Old 18 October 2009, 03:59   #6
mattbarton.exe

Thanks for all the great comments, guys and gals. I really appreciate the feedback!

I was just recording some Amiga footage earlier for our movie--Boing, Juggler demo, Shadow of the Beast, Lemmings, and now for Sensible Soccer. Woohoo!
Old 18 October 2009, 23:58   #7
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
I played System shock 1 a lot, but due to the problems with XP, I never got into System Shock 2 yet. Found some info though and I guess I should really give this one a try. Thanks for the heads up Matt
You can actually play it under XP by now? I bought an old Shock2 CD from a public library (€2,- ), and was very disappointed when it wouldn't start. (VirtualBox might be another option since they included DX3D support.)
Old 19 October 2009, 00:03   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
You can actually play it under XP by now?
There some patches and guides out there how to get System Shock 2 working on XP. Have a look here for example : http://www.moddb.com/mods/system-sho...-fix/downloads Luckily some guy on UG made a nice package... Yet have to try it though
Old 19 October 2009, 11:50   #9
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, System Shock 2 works great with the XP "trick".
Old 19 October 2009, 15:19   #10
Mogilny

Well done. I watched your reviews of some of the games I used to play, like Rockstar Ate My Hamster, Elite and The Oregon Trail. When I get the time im gonna watch a few more, looking forward to Defender of the Crown and MI.
Old 19 October 2009, 22:32   #11
Predabot

That's some good stuff there, Matt.

I actually played the demo of this way back when it came out, and I'm a little bit embarrassed to say it, but it scared the living crap out of me!!

I was like 14 at the time, but it was still too scary for me to complete it, or get the full copy. Heh. I should have a look at this again... but with some high-rezolution packs, of course.
Old 20 October 2009, 02:14   #12
mattbarton.exe

Thanks for the great comments!

Make sure you check out these sites:

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/index.php

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Pretty much everything you need to get the game running and enhanced with some great mods.
Old 20 October 2009, 03:39   #13
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Excellent video! System Shock 2 is certainly a game i remember as it gave me the creeps playing it all through the night I can't remember playing the first game but i got this one as soon as it came out after playing the demo.

I'm glad i keep a few old PC's just for games like this... no compatibility issues with Windows 98
Old 20 October 2009, 09:11   #14
Styx

Matt, I really like your stuff though the episodes could be a little longer say 15 minutes. Looking forward for the next ones. Keep up the good work!
Old 20 October 2009, 21:35   #15
mattbarton.exe

I'm sure YouTube will eventually let us make videos as long as we want. When that happens, I'll probably go to a 30 minute program with some extra segments.
Old 20 October 2009, 21:58   #16
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Yay, that would be cool.

Btw, comparing Doom to Ultima Underworld made me think. I know, which I like better. Never played much Doom, though. Doom, Hexen, ROTT, Dark Forces: all the same to me. Shooters became interesting with Half-Life (hint, hint ).
Old 20 October 2009, 22:08   #17
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Then you missed out on Hexen and Dark Forces Really those two are worth a look, even if you're not so much into the 'brainless killing spree' kind (aka Doom *hint hint* ).
Old 20 October 2009, 22:31   #18
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Ouch, I mistook Heretic for Hexen. Never actually played Hexen. Jedi Knight II was quite neat.

Don't get me wrong, I think that e.g. Thief and System Shock 2 play in the same league as Half-Life. Yet Half-Life is the best, while Thief has the best intro .
Old 20 October 2009, 23:27   #19
mattbarton.exe

I think Half-Life 2 is probably the most fun I've ever had with an FPS. I really got sucked in to that game right from the beginning. I also enjoyed the original Far Cry, Crysis (or however it's spelled), Deus Ex, the various Rainbow Six games, Quake 4, and of course Halo. I played Unreal Tournament 2004 with some friends on a LAN and had a good time.

I actually met Romero and interviewed him for our movie. He's without question the coolest developer I have ever met. His knowledge of the early days is staggering for such a young person; you can tell he really, REALLY loves gaming (totally unlike some of the other developers, who are only in it for the money).
Old 20 October 2009, 23:40   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

HL 1 & 2 are for sure masterpieces Deus Ex got me really confused the first time I played it, since it looked like an FPS, but it wasn't one (and yes I played System Shock before ).
Nice to hear that John Romero is really as much into gaming as it seems through his games (with the exception of Daikatana...). Doom really was a totally different expierence, even if Wolfenstein 3D already showed what these guys were able to come up with. I still consider Sandy Petersen to be one of the greatest level designers for a FPS