English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 22 October 2015, 20:56   #21
DamienD
Banned

I do have one issue that I've come about in WinUAE v3.0.0 when using my old configs from v1.0.0 that I just can't fix no matter what I try

Basically when an image starts from the bottom and scrolls upwards it's leaving pixels on screen. I've tried changing numerous settings e.g. "Remove interlace artifacts" + "Direct3D --> Direct Draw" + "Filter" options + "Scaling" etc. but no joy.

To show you what I mean I've added a screenshot of Alien Breed with the issue.

Obviously, please don't spend too much time on investigating this but if you have any suggestions / options I could try it would be much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alien Breed (1991)(Team 17)(Disk 1 of 3)(Story Disk)_001.png
Views:	180
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	45909  
Old 22 October 2015, 21:29   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Always use latest version first (and then latest beta). Only then you are allowed to report bugs
Old 22 October 2015, 21:44   #23
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Always use latest version first (and then latest beta). Only then you are allowed to report bugs

I just setup a brand new config in v3.0.0 with Alien Breed using similar options and all worked perfectly...

This is obviously great news but it means now that I will need to re-setup all my 500+ v1.0.0 custom configs from scratch for WinUAE v3.0.0 or indeed v3.1.0 (CPU / RAM / Resolutions / Disks / Drives etc.)

I just wish I knew what line / lines in my old configs are causing this and then I would manually adjust via Notepad...

Anyway, I've attached an old v1.0.0 config in case you can spot something immediately. If not then please don't waste your time.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Alien Breed.uae (10.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 22 October 2015, 21:57   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It has something to do with display panel centering options, it seems to be a real bug, display position gets changed but it is not refreshed fully.
Old 22 October 2015, 22:13   #25
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
It has something to do with display panel centering options, it seems to be a real bug, display position gets changed but it is not refreshed fully.
Oh; it's a real bug? Do you mean I don't need to go through 500+ WinUAE v1.0.0 configs and start again from scratch to get them working in v3.0.0 (or indeed v3.1.0)?

That would be idea for me as I don't think the girlfriend would be very happy with me spending a few weeks / months re-doing everything...

Thank you again Toni for investing your valuable time; seriously though if it's too much work I will do the above

Let me know if I can do anything to make your job easier.
Old 23 October 2015, 15:39   #26
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
There are 3 games that I've noticed this issue on (so far):
... Agony
... Alien Breed
... Pang

As you say, if I switch off Horizontal + Vertical "Centering" then all is good

I've noticed that if I do however have Horizontal "Centering" on there are no issues so just seems to be with Vertical "Centering"...

For now I've turned off Vertical "Centering" on the above 3 configs / games and I'm happy

I won't bother editing all my configs to match as I'm sure you'll have this fixed in the next solid release.

Last edited by DamienD; 23 October 2015 at 17:44.
Old 23 October 2015, 16:48   #27
DamienD
Banned

One last thing Toni I thought I might as well mention that's also related to display / filters / masks.

On the "Filters" tab, under "Extra Settings" I set "Scanline opacity" to be "50". This is a great feature as I get my beloved scanlines but it's not too dark to spoil the colour / brightness of the display

One small issue I've noticed though is if I swap from "Fullscreen" to "Windowed" (or vice-versa) then the above disappears as if nothing has been set...

To get them back on I need to press <F12>, go to "Filters" tab, then adjust the level by any amount and click OK.

Would be very cool if this was reapplied when swapping between "Fullscreen" and "Windowed" modes.
Old 24 October 2015, 09:47   #28
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z should fix the centering problem. (I am not 100% sure if this fix is side-effect free..)

I can't duplicate any scanline changes, you sure it isn't caused by your GPU? (texture size limit etc.). Check the log.
Old 24 October 2015, 13:13   #29
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.7z should fix the centering problem. (I am not 100% sure if this fix is side-effect free..)
Thank you for this Toni. Unfortunately I still have the same issue when vertical centering is switched on. Only tested with Alien Breed and Pang. Have attached a video (skip to 7 seconds).

Quote:
I can't duplicate any scanline changes, you sure it isn't caused by your GPU? (texture size limit etc.).
I changed WinUAE to use the "NVidia GeForce GT 540M" card instead of the inbuilt "Intel HD Graphics 3000" card. When changing from "Fullscreen" to "Windowed" (or vice-versa) the same issue occurs; anything set under "Extra Settings" disappears.

Quote:
Check the log.
I've attached these in case that helps.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (10.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (19.3 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by DamienD; 04 February 2016 at 11:43.
Old 24 October 2015, 13:24   #30
DamienD
Banned

Here are screenshots of my "Display" + "Filter" settings if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Display.png
Views:	159
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	45930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.png
Views:	144
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	45931  
Old 24 October 2015, 13:47   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
anything set under "Extra Settings" disappears.
Disappears? What do you mean?

btw, delete "C:\WinUAE\plugins\filtershaders\direct3d\_winuae.fx" and try again. Your log has odd "D3D9Ex: D3DXCreateEffectCompilerFromFile failed: 8007007E S=1 F=0007 C=007E (126)" error.

Your Alien Breed config works fine here now, garbage at the bottom part of display is gone.

EDIT: centering problem fix is more complex than I originally assumed, better fix is needed..

EDIT2: winuae.7z updated again. May or may not fix centering.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 24 October 2015 at 18:16.
Old 24 October 2015, 20:24   #32
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Disappears? What do you mean?
Started "Pang" and am in "Fullscreen" mode with "Scanline opacity" set at "50" (see attached image "Pang_Fullscreen.png").

I then press <Ctrl> + <F12> to go to "Windowed" mode and the scanlines are now gone. It doesn't matter what video card I use in my laptop (see attached image "Pang_Windowed.png").

If I go back to "Fullscreen" mode scanlines are still gone. The only way to get them back is to adjust the level by any amount.

The above issue isn't that important as I don't usually change from "Fullscreen" to "Windowed" mode so please don't waste too much time on this.

Quote:
btw, delete "C:\WinUAE\plugins\filtershaders\direct3d\_winuae.fx" and try again. Your log has odd "D3D9Ex: D3DXCreateEffectCompilerFromFile failed: 8007007E S=1 F=0007 C=007E (126)" error.
Not sure where this file comes from; I downloaded / extracted the "[1.5.1+ Direct3D Pixel Shader filters]" from your website and it don't contain that file... WinUAE seems to be creating it.

Have now deleted but no difference.

Quote:
Your Alien Breed config works fine here now, garbage at the bottom part of display is gone.
It's slightly better i.e. no garbage stays at the bottom of the screen but the image jerks when scrolling upward; just like the Pang video I uploaded earlier.

I can try to take a video if that helps you?

Quote:
EDIT: centering problem fix is more complex than I originally assumed, better fix is needed..

Quote:
EDIT2: winuae.7z updated again. May or may not fix centering.
I'll give it a try now and get back to you shortly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pang_Fullscreen.png
Views:	134
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	45937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pang_Windowed.png
Views:	139
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	45938  
Old 24 October 2015, 20:30   #33
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Started "Pang" and am in "Fullscreen" mode with "Scanline opacity" set at "50" (see attached image "Pang_Fullscreen.png").

I then press <Ctrl> + <F12> to go to "Windowed" mode and the scanlines are now gone. It doesn't matter what video card I use in my laptop (see attached image "Pang_Windowed.png").

If I go back to "Fullscreen" mode scanlines are still gone. The only way to get them back is to adjust the level by any amount.

The above issue isn't that important as I don't usually change from "Fullscreen" to "Windowed" mode so please don't waste too much time on this.
I understand that scanlines disppear but you said 'anything set under "Extra Settings" disappears.' Select box becomes empty? Unselectable? Values get zeroed? What?

Do following: load your config, save it again with different name. Quit winuae, load new config, cause scanline disappearance, enter GUI, save config with yet another name. Attach both config files.

Quote:
Not sure where this file comes from; I downloaded / extracted the "[1.5.1+ Direct3D Pixel Shader filters]" from your website and it don't contain that file... WinUAE seems to be creating it.

Have now deleted but no difference.
It is also normal if it does not exists. Error is still odd...

Quote:
It's slightly better i.e. no garbage stays at the bottom of the screen but the image jerks when scrolling upward; just like the Pang video I uploaded earlier.
It is normal when centering options are enabled. It is impossible to detect between scrolling and non-centered image. Both are same technically..
Old 24 October 2015, 20:46   #34
DamienD
Banned

I tried the newer version that you uploaded; no difference from the one earlier today.

Quote:
I understand that scanlines disppear but you said 'anything set under "Extra Settings" disappears.' Select box becomes empty? Unselectable? Values get zeroed? What?
Sorry, I wasn't clear with my explanation. After swapping modes if I press F12 to go back to the GUI and look at the Filter --> Extra Settings area all values are still shown correctly but not rendered on screen.

Quote:
Do following: load your config, save it again with different name. Quit winuae, load new config, cause scanline disappearance, enter GUI, save config with yet another name. Attach both config files.
I hope I've done this correctly. Attached are:
... original Pang config (Pang.uae).
... 1st steps (Pang_Test.uae).
... 2nd steps (Pang_Test2.uae)

Quote:
It is normal when centering options are enabled. It is impossible to detect between scrolling and non-centered image. Both are same technically..
I hear what you're saying and wish I could offer more.

It all used to work fine in v1.0.0 and then up until v2.3.0 from testing. No jerking or pixels left at the bottom of the screen.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Pang.uae (10.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: uae Pang_Test.uae (17.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: uae Pang_Test2.uae (23.0 KB, 61 views)
Old 24 October 2015, 21:09   #35
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
It all used to work fine in v1.0.0 and then up until v2.3.0 from testing. No jerking or pixels left at the bottom of the screen.
Do you really mean there is no any display position movement whatsoever with older version? Image not moving up or down, even for single frame? (with vertical centering enabled)

Centering can and will change between version. I still don't see anything wrong except older versions may actually been broken..

Centering option + games rarely works as expected anyway, just use some script utility to switch it off in all your configs.

(I don't mean extra garbage but image moving up or down)

Did 2310b1 also introduce "jerky" movement effect or only garbage at the bottom?

EDIT: _winuae.fx should appear in plugins\filtershaders\direct3d when started in d3d mode. Perhaps there is no write permissions? Does anything change if you run winuae.exe as administrator?

EDIT2: Try reinstalling DX9: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=8109

EDIT3: Does scanlines reappear if you switch back to fullscreen? Do they reappear if you disable scanlines and then re-enable them?

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 24 October 2015 at 21:56.
Old 24 October 2015, 22:22   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Do you really mean there is no any display position movement whatsoever with older version? Image not moving up or down, even for single frame? (with vertical centering enabled)
I'll use Pang as the example. You probably saw from the video that the Ocean logo should start from the bottom of the screen but only appears part way up and then jumps back down and continues up again.

If I turn of vertical smart centering then it behaves normally; scrolls smoothly from the bottom of the screen upwards with no jerky movements.

In the v2.3 + previous if I had vertical smart centering turned on it would still function without any issues.

Quote:
Centering can and will change between version. I still don't see anything wrong except older versions may actually been broken..

Centering option + games rarely works as expected anyway, just use some script utility to switch it off in all your configs.

(I don't mean extra garbage but image moving up or down)
Yeah I can use Notepad++ to modify all my old configs.

I've probably now tested 50 games and it's only Agony + Alien Breed + Pang that this issue occurs in. I've just switched off vertical centering in these configs and all good.

Quote:
Did 2310b1 also introduce "jerky" movement effect or only garbage at the bottom?
Will check and get back to you but from memory; Pang didn't leave artifacts on the screen but the logo jumps / jerks just like in the video. Alien Breed did both.

Quote:
EDIT: _winuae.fx should appear in plugins\filtershaders\direct3d when started in d3d mode. Perhaps there is no write permissions? Does anything change if you run winuae.exe as administrator?
I'll give that a try. WinUAE is running from in C:\WinUAE.

Quote:
I'll try this also.

Quote:
EDIT3: Does scanlines reappear if you switch back to fullscreen?
Unfortunately not.

Quote:
Do they reappear if you disable scanlines and then re-enable them?
How do I disable besides moving the slider back from "50" to "0"? If I move it by anything they work again.
Old 24 October 2015, 22:48   #37
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Just tested this again with "2310b1" and strangley it's now doing neither for Alien Breed or Pang when vertical centering is enabled.

Quote:
Does anything change if you run winuae.exe as administrator?
No; running WinUAE v3.0.0 + Pang, the logo still jumps / jerks.

Quote:
No difference unfortunately.
Old 24 October 2015, 23:11   #38
DamienD
Banned

As "2310b1" now suddenly works for me with both Alien Breed + Pang (old 1.0.0 configs), I thought I'd test some of the older WinUAE versions again. The last version that works for me with vertical centering on i.e. no jerking / scrolling / additional pixels is 2.7.0.

When I try 2.8.0, 3.0.0 or 3.1.0 the issue is present. Tried Quickstart configs but as soon as I enable vertical centering the issue returns.

Are there some betas between 2.7.0 and 2.8.0 that I can test with so that it may help you diagnose when this issue first starts?

Last edited by DamienD; 24 October 2015 at 23:36.
Old 25 October 2015, 00:08   #39
DamienD
Banned

Ok, been through testing the betas before the 2.8.0 release.

All is working perfectly up to "winuae_2710b9.zip". With "winuae_2710b10.zip" the issue starts.

I hope this helps Toni. Let me know if there is anything else I can do
Old 25 October 2015, 11:14   #40
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Thanks.

2710b10 fixed vertical centering, previously (for many, many versions..) it didn't work at all.. ("First and last drawn scanlines were always detected incorrectly since few major versions ago, breaking vertical centering.") Jittery movement during this kind of display scrolling (vstart/vstop position changes) is correct, nothing happening is wrong

Losing d3d scanline bug should be fixed now, only happens in no-shader mode (shader load/parse error causes fallback to no-shader mode = shader filters are not supported.)

btw, do you have some display control panel that can be used to force use of NVidia GPU when WinUAE is running, it is possible Intel GPU is actually used even if NVidia strings are logged..

Also includes another possible fix for vertical centering corruption..