English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 02 June 2008, 18:37   #1
Madcrow

Is e-UAE dead?

Seriously, there have been no updates since March 2007, leaving it stuck with the WinUAE 1.4.1 engine codebase, despite the many improvements that have been made since... Am I seriously going to have to install Windoze to get the latest and greatest Amiga-on-PC?
Old 02 June 2008, 19:18   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Rich Drummond is a contractor of Hyperion Entertainment, VOF. He may be working on something behind the scenes. Or something may be tied up in courts. If you're a coder you should seriously get on SourceForge.net and start cutting and pasting to solve problems.
Old 03 June 2008, 08:57   #3
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

Some source capture were available earlier this year to test CAPS integration in Mac OS X.
If anybody fancy compiling a Mac OS X Intel version I am interested.

http://www.freelists.org/archives/ua.../msg00017.html
Old 03 June 2008, 12:00   #4
Interceptor

the last test build richard drummond did seemed to have a bug and wasnt picking up the mac lib from the correct place.

if this has been fixed i'm happy to download the soruce and produce a universal binary for it.
Old 03 June 2008, 13:00   #5
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

I haven t seen anything since but even with that bug I would love to have a compiled version of it.
Old 03 June 2008, 16:21   #6
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Rich Drummond is a contractor of Hyperion Entertainment, VOF. He may be working on something behind the scenes. Or something may be tied up in courts. If you're a coder you should seriously get on SourceForge.net and start cutting and pasting to solve problems.
Sadly, I'm not a coder (though I am working on learning Amiga E, now that a version that works across all Amiga-like platforms including AROS has become available)
Old 04 June 2008, 08:49   #7
chiark
Needs a life

I dropped Rich a mail quite some time back - he used to respond quickly but I never received any reply... I'll give him another poke to check he's OK and try to find out what the status of e-uae is.

It'd be a real shame if he'd moved on, but with some of the bitching and moaning (see the threads on here and elsewhere proclaiming it's only worth bothering with winuae) then I really wouldn't blame him.
Old 08 June 2008, 18:40   #8
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I'm sorry to say that, but emulators - any - works better on Windows and are more supported.
Old 08 June 2008, 19:43   #9
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
I'm sorry to say that, but emulators - any - works better on Windows and are more supported.
I agree.....all emulators of any platform works better on windows
even emulators that have been originally developed on linux and later ported to windows.....the windows port is always better
there is no exception

maybe the best coders likes windows....or maybe windows and DirectX offers better chances to make better programs

btw, don't know why ppl are worried about e-uae when winuae is piece of gold and is supported by the great Toni Einstein da Vinci Willen
Old 08 June 2008, 21:01   #10
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
btw, don't know why ppl are worried about e-uae when winuae is piece of gold and is supported by the great Toni Einstein da Vinci Willen
Well, maybe 'cause they want a good emulator for Mac/Linux/AROS/OS4
Old 09 June 2008, 02:13   #11
Interceptor

I've compiled a Mac OSX Intel binary with working CAPS Library support, it's available here:

http://www.simplyamiga.com/uae/e-uae...S.20080608.zip

please note that *THIS IS TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED*

that said, let me know how it works for you
Old 09 June 2008, 09:16   #12
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

ooh, nice one interceptor
Old 09 June 2008, 16:18   #13
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazinKaesar View Post
Not true. ZSNES is pretty equal across all the various Intel platforms. SNES9x is pretty well supported on a whole host of architectures. The VICE suite (8-bit Commodore stuff) is pretty feature equal across all its platforms, too. MAME/MESS is pretty truly cross platform too.
Old 09 June 2008, 17:34   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
Not true. ZSNES is pretty equal across all the various Intel platforms. SNES9x is pretty well supported on a whole host of architectures. The VICE suite (8-bit Commodore stuff) is pretty feature equal across all its platforms, too. MAME/MESS is pretty truly cross platform too.
That's right I think, but can you name any emulator that is better with a non Windows OS I'm no M$ fanboy, but it really seems as if the big number of users motivate the authors of emulators more to produce better versions (which is the same for cross-platform projects).
Old 09 June 2008, 18:38   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
FUSE (ZX Spectrum emulator) is also across many platforms and is quite excellent.

windows advocates have a tendancy to overstate such matters i think, or perhaps they just arent as well informed on the other platforms

@ Interceptor

so far looking good, (though i had to go for cycle exact on those i tried) and even the AR-III support is working now, which it didnt on the previous intel build i used

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 09 June 2008 at 18:53.
Old 09 June 2008, 19:05   #16
Interceptor

but is FUSE as good as dedicated windows emulators? i think dont think it is. that's my opinion as a user.

i tend to dislike all 'cross platform' emulators as they seem to be a massive compromise in usuablilty, and the lack of linux usabilty normally drags them down with it.

i'm sure a dedicated port of winuae to OSX would be far better than the current osx "version" of e-uae
Old 09 June 2008, 19:39   #17
Tony Landais
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
That's right I think, but can you name any emulator that is better with a non Windows OS I'm no M$ fanboy, but it really seems as if the big number of users motivate the authors of emulators more to produce better versions (which is the same for cross-platform projects).

I have a mac book pro with windows and mac os x. I installed some emulators on mac side by curiosity thinking windows versions are always better. Well I changed my mind about few things.

First mac os x is much easier to configurate if you want a Pal 50Hz output than windows. So if you like smooth emulators on TV and can't figure out how to patch you registry with powerstrip mac os x is what you need.

About emulators I don't use MameUI anymore but Mame os X. I don t have any stuttering sound issue with it. (if you know how to fix it in MameUI let me know).
Emulator enhancer is also very nice. Let you configurate only once your display, sound, joystick.... and all your (bannister's) emulators share the same setup.
We need a port of Playsid on Windows. This player gives you the best of HVSC.

I agree shareware and freeware are much more dynamic on windows than mac but in some rare cases there is better and sometimes much better applications.

if you just want to emulate UAE forget about Mac os X
Old 09 June 2008, 22:27   #18
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

Quote:
Ok for Vice, but MESS is still on a very old version on Linux: I know because I tried it some time ago. Windows version is more complete. Even ZSNES e SNES9x work better on Windows (on the same PC, Windows versions run faster than Linux: I think DirectX do their dirty but good job!).

I'm not a Windows fan, but for gaming, both new and retro, Windows is still the "best" choice...
Old 09 June 2008, 22:36   #19
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor
but is FUSE as good as dedicated windows emulators?
yes. imho, FUSE -is- as good as any dedicated windows emulator. there is nothing that i need done which it doesnt do compared to the others.
I love Spin for example, but like every other emulator, but it also misses the only function i want that is not on fuse. (namely shared internet play)

now that i have ipf and ar-3 on e-uae, i suspect my winuae usage will drop considerably. I find e-uae to be a lot more stable than winuae and people should remember the emulator does not lack a lot of features when used on OSX, its just that you cant get to them from the only available GUI.

many of the "missing features" i would never use myself anyway.
Old 09 June 2008, 23:04   #20
Interceptor

still, you do indeed have IPF on a mac now

i'll build a ppc version and put up a little webpage for it.