English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 22 April 2002, 01:12   #1
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Sinbad

Hello all, I noticed that Cinemaware have uploaded the Sinbad ADF to their site, presumably this is an original...

But I can't find any WHDLoad/JST slave for this! Has one been done, or is one in progress?

Something else which occurred to me: surely if the disk-image was distributed with the crack, then the coders who do the patches would not have to bother about supporting five different versions of the same game, they could just support one version, and distribute the disk-image with it. This would save them work, and save the users work too, a win-win situation...

I understand some people might be pedantic about copyright issues etc. but there are already some (not enough!) patch+image combos already floating around the net, the world seems not to have ended :-)

Someone should make a site that collects the disk-images that are used by these installs... because they are almost impossible to get.
Old 22 April 2002, 03:20   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Hello all, I noticed that Cinemaware have uploaded the Sinbad ADF to their site, presumably this is an original...
No, it's a CRACK!!
Bloody hell, this sucks.
On the one hand, giving away the games legally is a good thing, but please not those dratted cracks again!
I think those guys know what efforts it takes to preserve the originals in their original format, so they just took the cracks off a random rom dump .... errr ... "web site" to save the work! Phew!
And they call the games 'ROMS'. Phew again! :disgusted
Quote:
But I can't find any WHDLoad/JST slave for this! Has one been done, or is one in progress?
Huh? Do you really need an "installer" for this game?
This is a true AmigaDOS game, so just copy the files off the disk and it should work!
Old 22 April 2002, 03:27   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Sinbad

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuous
Someone should make a site that collects the disk-images that are used by these installs... because they are almost impossible to get.
Almost impossible? I find originals every day on ebay. As for finding it free on the net, there are indeed sites that come and go with HD-installed, turnkey games. Usually from cracks, though (ie, Spoky's lame site).

YAD: It's my opinion on the lameness of Spoky's site and doesn't reflect the viewpoints of EAB...yadda yadda yadda. Only allowing slow modem users access to buggy HD installs is (in my dictionary) lame.
Old 22 April 2002, 07:16   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

You mean you have ACCESS to Spokyz' server!??

I paid $A40 for WHDLoad, sent him my key, receipt, etc. and he emails me back to call me an idiot...? Go figure.

If you don't like him then perhaps you would not mind sharing your spokyz logon with me...? because i'm going crazy trying to find all the installs when I know they are at spokyz and I can't get in :-(

Regarding Sinbad, this shows why it's important that the slaves support cracks :-) And regarding it being fully compatible, I will test it tonight, I can't see why it wouldn't be compatible. But I have noticed WHDLoad installs for other games which seem quite compatible even under WinUAE (eg. Syndicate, Maniac Mansion). It's always nice to be able to quit to WB.
Old 22 April 2002, 07:47   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

You're joking, right? I think it's great that you registered WHD, but how could you send that moron your key? Spoky's is everything that is wrong. What a jerk! But I hate to tell ya, you deserve what you get for sending ANYONE your key (especially him!)

No, I have never had a logon account there and I have never downloaded anything from any of his sites, web nor ftp. And I wouldn't even if he gave me full access because I have my standards...I do not support nor condone crooks. Any more than I would pay money for an M$ product (but that's another rant...)

As Codetapper has pointed out, most slaves do support cracks, but what you will end up with will surely be inferior. It's enough that they fix bad coding errors from the programmers, but to have to fix cracktros and hacks as well is probably asking a bit too much. As for not seeing why it wouldn't be compatible, let's say an install patches the disk or executable to fix a problem. Neither the disk nor the executable are likely to be the same on the original as on the crack, so that patch could be modifying something entirely different.
Old 22 April 2002, 10:26   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Is there something your not telling us about Spookys Twistin'?

The only problem I know of is he does let broadband user's on his FTP, is there something else?
Old 22 April 2002, 14:06   #7
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I figured he already had 50 registered keys from the users of his FTP, so he would already have a registered key...

When I said "I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible" I was referring specifically to Sinbad, and I meant that there was a good chance that it would run perfectly without needing a WHDLoad slave. Sorry, I probably could have phrased it more clearly.

My suggestion about including the disk image with the slave was to eliminate the need to have to support any cracks.
Old 22 April 2002, 18:26   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Is there something your not telling us about Spookys Twistin'?

The only problem I know of is he does let broadband user's on his FTP, is there something else?
Yeah. His asking users for their WHD keys. I think that is beneath contempt.
Old 22 April 2002, 18:30   #9
Ian
Global Moderator

I never knew that, why in the hell would he want everyone's WHDLoad key.
Old 22 April 2002, 18:56   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

That is anybody's guess. He might rationalize that he is only sharing with legit WHD customers and uses that as proof, but considering the response he sent back to Minuous, I doubt that seriously. He just sounds like a prick to me.
Old 13 August 2013, 14:52   #11
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Does a working WHDLoad version of this game exist?

I have a working floppy version, without the "disappearing ship" bug. But the WHDLoad slave doesn't seem to support it properly, as it gets an exception and crashes back to AmigaOS immediately when run.

The version from WHDownload has the disappearing ship bug, and Murakami doesn't have it at all. :-(
Old 13 August 2013, 20:19   #12
ascp
Pastafarian

Nope, the existing install is broken, see bugreport here and more if you search. http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=2804
And then read the comments. Stingray to the rescue
Old 13 August 2013, 21:43   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

As always, god help us when he gets bored

Anyway, I have no recollection of this Spoky's guy, is that bad? Did he ever change his ways.
Old 14 August 2013, 07:03   #14
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Does a working WHDLoad version of this game exist?
Yes it does. On my HD. I have redone the patch some months ago, cracked it correctly and it seems to work flawlessly. I'll just need to test it a bit more before releasing the updated patch.
Old 09 March 2014, 14:57   #15
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Any news on this yet? I can help you test this slave if you like.