English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 August 2015, 08:46   #1
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Question WinUAE 3.1.0 + WHDLoad & Windows 10

I just got a new laptop fitted with Windows 10, in which I spent at least one hour installing WinUAE 3.1.0 + WB Classic Full, to realize that WHDLoad games are not working. Every other pre-loaded programs seem to work OK.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this a WHDLoad issue with Windows 10, or is it that WinUAE nor WHDLoad are compatible with Windows 10?
Old 13 August 2015, 09:24   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Not working?"
Old 13 August 2015, 11:54   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

There are no issues with windows 10, WinUAE and WHDLoad.

You have a configuration issue I would guess or missing files.
Old 13 August 2015, 12:48   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Works O.K for me, I'm not going to go through every game though, if you let us know which games you're having trouble with then I'm willing to test them.

OT:
One of the hardest parts about WinUAE and Windows 10 is Installing DX. The link from the popup box takes you to the dx web live installer which refuses to install in 10. (for me anyway) I had to find a DX complete package before it worked.
Old 13 August 2015, 21:11   #5
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
Works O.K for me, I'm not going to go through every game though, if you let us know which games you're having trouble with then I'm willing to test them.

OT:
One of the hardest parts about WinUAE and Windows 10 is Installing DX. The link from the popup box takes you to the dx web live installer which refuses to install in 10. (for me anyway) I had to find a DX complete package before it worked.
I believe that that is the issue with my installation. My system says that I have the latest DirectX verison, but I do remember seeing a message popping up about DX. Where can I find and download the package you are using?
Old 13 August 2015, 21:31   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

From HERE
Old 13 August 2015, 21:40   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am quite sure I used that small redistributable and it did work fine. Did you download it to a HD (or to desktop). I think it didn't work if run directly from browser (not enough privileges or something like that).
Old 13 August 2015, 22:10   #8
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I downloaded the dxwebsetup (286kb) to the desktop and ran it from there. It started O.K then stopped saying windows already had the latest DX Installed. I had to use this file in the end to install dx9, directx_Jun2010_redist

Last edited by Arnie; 12 October 2015 at 20:54.
Old 14 August 2015, 06:30   #9
WeiXing3D
Rusted Amiga user

Quote:
I downloaded the dxwebsetup (286kb) to the desktop and ran it from there. It started O.K then stopped saying windows already had the latest DX Installed. I had to use this file in the end to install dx9, directx_Jun2010_redist
Thank you guys. Installing DirectX from scratch solved the problem
Old 20 August 2015, 18:15   #10
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Quote:
Yes, when you download the newest D3d executable from Microsoft (D3d9.0c, June 2010) and prepare to install it in any OS = Vista or newer, up to and including Win10, you must use dxsetup.exe, and not dxwebsetup.exe, because the latter simply checks the current version number and if it's > than 9.0c it exits without installing, informing you that "You already have a newer version"... Of course, we are trying to force install the older version to reside alongside the newer version of DX/D3d, and the only way to do that is to run dxsetup.exe....(as you no doubt discovered.)
Old 20 August 2015, 18:24   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Proof?

DX Web setup has worked up to Windows 8.1, 100% guaranteed. (I have run it many times during Win 7 and 8.x era)

It seems it stopped working in newer Windows 10 builds but I am sure it did work with some pre-release versions. Possibly when DX12 was introduced.

EDIT:

dxwebsetup.exe does work in Windows 10 just fine. I just tested on clean installed Windows 10. It downloaded and installed missing DLLs (about 90M). Exactly like it did on Windows 7 and 8.x.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 20 August 2015 at 18:35.
Old 20 August 2015, 18:43   #12
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I can confirm that the web setup did work on Win8.1. I did a clean install of Win10 and I got the popup to load DX drivers when WinUAE was started.

I copied the url from the popup into the browser and downloaded the dxwebsetup.exe but It wouldn't install anything. I'm using Win10 pro.

Last edited by Arnie; 12 October 2015 at 20:54.
Old 20 August 2015, 18:45   #13
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

The web installer works perfectly fine for me too in 10.
Old 02 September 2015, 17:27   #14
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Proof?

DX Web setup has worked up to Windows 8.1, 100% guaranteed. (I have run it many times during Win 7 and 8.x era)

It seems it stopped working in newer Windows 10 builds but I am sure it did work with some pre-release versions. Possibly when DX12 was introduced.

EDIT:

dxwebsetup.exe does work in Windows 10 just fine. I just tested on clean installed Windows 10. It downloaded and installed missing DLLs (about 90M). Exactly like it did on Windows 7 and 8.x.
I just ran it and it did not work at all...it puts up the menu box, asks me if I want the Bing bar (no)...when I click to continue it begins initializing...and then promptly exits without having installed a single file--telling me that I "already have the latest version." dxwebsetup.exe has always done this for me.

...otoh, using dxsetup.exe from the populated (containing all of the DX files--~90mb's) DX directory always installs lots and lots of file whenever I run it.

So this is very strange...

I've uploaded the dxwebsetup.exe file I just downloaded from Microsoft for you to look at...just remove the .zip extension...weird, eh?
Attached Files
File Type: zip dxwebsetup.exe.zip (285.3 KB, 119 views)
Old 02 September 2015, 17:39   #15
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Quote:
I can confirm that the web setup did work on Win8.1. I did a clean install of Win10 and I got the popup to load DX drivers when WinUAE was started.

I copied the url from the popup into the browser and downloaded the dxwebsetup.exe but It wouldn't install anything. I'm using Win10 pro.
Very strange...that's the one I just uploaded, as an attachment, I believe...and on my Win10x64 system it initializes for a few seconds and then informs me that I "already have the latest version" and exits...having done nothing! Like I mentioned to Toni, dxsetup, from the full DX directory, installs all the files...you can see them install by name individually, and the process takes a couple of minutes to complete.

The only thing I can think of is that this is what happens when I already have 9.0c installed alongside Windows 10 DX11.x...possibly. Anyway, I have always forced the DX 9.0c install by running dxsetup.exe from a 9.0c decompressed directory of DX files (from the full runtime directx_Jun2010_redist.exe .)
Old 02 September 2015, 19:40   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It is normal, it says "already.." if all files are already installed. Running it twice does the same.

You probably run or installed some program (game) that came with full DX.
Old 19 September 2015, 21:15   #17
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Quote:
It is normal, it says "already.." if all files are already installed. Running it twice does the same.

You probably run or installed some program (game) that came with full DX.
Sorry it took so long to get back, but I still don't think you guys are clear on what I'm saying...I'm saying that running dxsetup.exe always forces an an install of DX, whether it has been installed previously or not. DXwebsetup.exe does not ever force an install, and if DX or a later version is already installed it will put up a message saying so and then exit...

See attachments...dxsetup.png shows DX being force installed by running dxsetup.exe; DXweb.png shows what happens when I try to force install using dxwebsetup.exe. Hope this clear it all up...

Q:Why would you want to force a DX 9.0c install?

A:When you aren't sure that DX9.0c is installed and you want to be positive it's installed

At least, this is the way it works from my location...not sure why it would work differently elsewhere, but from what you guys are saying it may very well do that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DXsetup.png
Views:	229
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	45557   Click image for larger version

Name:	DXweb.png
Views:	229
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	45558  
Old 20 September 2015, 09:10   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I thought topic was about dxwebsetup not installing even when full dx9 is _not_ installed yet. It is normal that it does nothing if all required files have been already installed.

This is easy to confirm: check if windows\system32\D3DX9_43.dll exists.

btw, DX9 is not updated when DX10+ is also supported. DX9 files are still the same. DX10+ is separate installation and new files. It explains why old dx9 installers still work normally.
Old 20 September 2015, 12:51   #19
ShK

Quote:
This is easy to confirm: check if windows\system32\D3DX9_43.dll exists
If it not exists, here's full package: DirectX End-User Runtimes
Old 26 September 2015, 17:12   #20
waltc
Martian Anachronism

Quote:
I thought topic was about dxwebsetup not installing even when full dx9 is _not_ installed yet. It is normal that it does nothing if all required files have been already installed.

This is easy to confirm: check if windows\system32\D3DX9_43.dll exists.

btw, DX9 is not updated when DX10+ is also supported. DX9 files are still the same. DX10+ is separate installation and new files. It explains why old dx9 installers still work normally.
You asked me for "proof" about dxsetup.exe,...heh...so I took the screen shots when I had time to get back here... I should have done that straight away, but I got distracted...

I just wanted you guys to see that I wasn't fibbing about the message... My original point was that the only way to *force* install DX9.0c is by running dxsetup.exe, whether or not DX9.0c has been installed--that's irrelevant. dxsetup will always install the 9.0c runtime--but dxwebsetup will not always install it--it's conditional. That was my original point.

Installing 9.0c is just something I do in order to support old/very old games. Theoretically I know it isn't necessary, but every so often a game will seek an old dx file by name that newer versions of DX no longer use, etc.