English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 09 December 2007, 04:56   #1
The Brave Ant

Exclamation Two questions about "Help" key and Workbench/AmigaDOS/Kickstart.

Two Questions.
Hi guys!
Well, first of all I never had an Amiga and I only uses Winfellow Alpha v0.4.4 built 2
because is more easy for me than Winuae, but I have a pair of questions...

First, Some manuals or cheat codes tell me that I must press the "Help" key
but, where is this key in a PC keyboard?

The second question is about Worckbech or Kickstart.
I don´t know very well if it is refered to one or the other, but almost
all games start when I put the game disk and then press the reset button; but there are some games that this thing don´t occurs, I see the AmigaDOS screen and the icons of the adf inserted in the virtual drives, then I can open the icon and a windows appears showing me the disk´s contents.
My question is, what should I do to see this AmigaDOS screen to examine anyone adf?
This matter happens to me with my Gunship 2000 adf´s and other games. I put the four disks in the four virtual drives and then I press the reset button. Then the AmigaDOS appears and the program let me see the content, for example,
of disk number 1 and I can see a readme file, the exe file and other files.

Well, I hope somebody can help me a little!
Thanks for the replies in advance and sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by The Brave Ant; 09 December 2007 at 05:04.
Old 09 December 2007, 06:10   #2
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
The location of the help key will probably be 'pg up' or is it 'pg down'? Don't quite know exactly as i don't use winfellow.
The screen you are describing in wich you get icons and are able to examine disks is called 'workbench'.
The gunship adf you are using has a stripped down version of this 'software suite'.
Keep in mind that not all disks will be readable using the workbench. Eg. games wich use custom loaders and/or copy protection might show up as 'DF0:NDOS' or 'DF0:????'
Old 09 December 2007, 06:32   #3
smoorke

Also note that some disks may appear empty but in fact arn't. This is due to how workbench handles icons (special files with .info extension). Kickstarts 2.04 and up allow files without icons to be viewed using the 'window/show/all files' menu item.
Kickstarts below that do not have this ability and will require you to open a 'CLI' or 'SHELL' found on the workbench disk and use AmigaDOS commands (eg. 'DIR df0:' or 'LIST df0:') to textually represent the contents of such disks.

Last edited by smoorke; 14 December 2007 at 02:00.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:37   #4
The Brave Ant

Hi smoorke. Thaks for the replies! I could not write until now.

Ok. The "Help" key maybe is in 'pg up' or 'pg down'. Well, now I know where to search.

About my second question, I understood you, but if I put a disk in df0 then the game is loaded automatically and I can not type anything in AmigaDOS, doesn´t matter if I push reset buton or not. The game loads and then I can not do anything else.

Ok, I need to use workbench 2.04 to see the content of a disk, but maybe there is a way to look into a disk without loading? If i put the disk with the workbench already started then the game starts; and if i put a disk and press reset the game starts too.

My question is how to start AmigaDOS in Winfellow? if i don not insert a disk the workbech screen appears asking me to put a disk ( a screen with a disk being inserted in a drive). Maybe there are a key to stop the load and then see the AmigaDOS?

Uf!! It seems to be a little dificult for me!

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 13 December 2007, 01:56   #5
smoorke

I'm sorry but my experience with winfellow stops at knowing it exists, that it is no longer being developed and probably still has tons of bugs, mis-features and strange quirks.

From kickstarts 2.04 and up you can bring up an early boot menu (hold both mousebuttons during reset) and use that to boot your machine without executing the startup-sequence.
Doing so will open the bootshell, which will actually not be of much help to what you are trying to achieve.

Last edited by smoorke; 13 December 2007 at 02:12.
Old 13 December 2007, 02:08   #6
The Brave Ant

Now I have more than 250 games working perfectly with winfellow, it works fine , but no worry more about this matter, it seems that you use WinUAE for sure!.
Winfellow seems to be only to play games and not to be so real than WinUAE offers.
Well, i will try in another way. thanks!
Old 14 December 2007, 03:26   #7
The Brave Ant

Hey ! that works!
Hey do not be angry, because I am a rookie with kickstart and now I learnt one thing more. I do not know this thing about pressing the two mouse buttons!.
Well I will investigate what can I do with this.
Thanks!