It's pretty flippin' brilliant imho.
Old 14 November 2012, 19:15   #62
wXR

Hey great! I hope they can finish it!
Old 19 November 2012, 19:41   #63
vitux
Banned

Hmmm, no news
Hopefully be that is collecting material..
Old 18 December 2012, 23:42   #64
Zikko

Wink Zikko speaks!

Hello!

I'm Erik Gustavsson, I used the alias Zik back in the days. I programmed Nuxelia, and the sound as well as graphics were made by Andreas Paleologos, then known as Odie. At the time we were members of the small demo group Craze, but the Nuxelia project sort of went on on the side and we kept on doing it a while after we we're no longer involved in any demo making.

This forum thread was brought to my attention by Dennis Skoglund, who got my contact info from Jonas Gate. It's really awesome that Nuxelia has drawn all of your attention in this way, and I'm really happy and flattered that you like it!

So, I thought I'd write a thing or two about it for anyone who might be curious.

Our main influences as I recall it were Wonderboy 3 - The Dragons Trap, Zelda 2 and the Super Mario series.

I built a rather sophisticated level editor for it in AMOS, it had multiple layer support and everything. Maps were made up of tiles as small as 8x8 pixels, although most blocks were grouped in 16x16 items.

The graphics were drawn with a very limited 16 colour palette as many games were then. Still can't believe how artists managed to still make things look so good! My god, Turrican 2 and so on.

Anyway, the reason we stuck with 16 colours was not to support ECS, but rather to use the other four bit planes to achieve cool effects with background and other stuff. If I remember correctly, I didn't use dual playfield mode as one of you guessed, but I constructed palettes to achieve similar effects.

I'm still pretty satisfied with how the gradual parallax effect on the sky of the upper screens came out. What's really a shame is that no one got to see any of the other effects that we produced. We made a snow effect where snow flakes appeared in the intersection points of odd and even bit planes with differently angled diagonal lines. Many hundreds of cozy looking snowflakes at zero CPU cost!

Also, we came pretty far on a castle environment with ghosts and mummies, and it also had a BOSS at the end. A real scary looking wizard with all sorts of tricks up his sleeve, such as a cross-screen lightning constructed with the polygon filling features of the blitter chip and a super large rock appearing over your head and falling down, both features using palette tricks and those extra four planes.

Gameplay-wise, from what I've gathered of the YouTube video and your questions, I think you still have some things to discover! :-) There's an upward and downward sword attack, used through just holding the joystick up or down as you press fire during a jump. The upward strike will help you hit some far up question mark blocks, and the downward one is very useful against many monsters.

You switch between the various items by pressing space, and you activate those by pressing down as you stand. The bomb will shatter crackled blocks, clearing the path to treasures here and there.

I think you read signs by pressing and holding fire, or was it up? And wasn't the shop in the demo, a little hut, possibly accessed by an awkward combination of holding fire and then pressing up? Not sure here.

Sadly the game is unlikely to be completed or released for several reasons. We did have contact with some publishers, but the Amiga marked by then was already less than hot, and we were worried about signing contracts that involved completing the game with only a small part of the revenue offered as payment. Also, a little worried about losing the source code, I asked a friend to backup the stuff for me, but instead he managed to destroy the hard disk. I did have an earlier backup, but not very recent so that kind of put me off.

I've tried to resurrect the game a couple of times. I made a Shockwave prototype using the Amiga graphics. There was also a very promising J2ME version with all new miniature graphics and gameplay, but that also never got released. But I guess it's not completely impossible that me and Andreas could team up again and make a similar game at some point in time.

Today I'm working with web, flash, mobile and social media at a company called Sticky Beat, see http://stickybeat.se. Andreas is a freelance musician and animator in Oslo, see http://cuckoo.no.

If you have any more questions or comments regarding Nuxelia, you're more than welcome to put them here. Again, I think it's just great that this old baby of mine still draws attention today!

Regards,
Erik Gustavsson / Zik

Old 19 December 2012, 01:17   #65
Amiga1992

Thanks so much for that! I love how we find all you awesome people through the EAB. Kudos to those who made possible that Erik came here and told us his story!!
Old 19 December 2012, 16:01   #66
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thanks for the info
the game does appear to be AGA only
Old 19 December 2012, 18:32   #67
vitux
Banned

Thanks Erik for Nuxelia history.
I uploader on Youtube. I had just discovered the game and was practicing, is the reason are not seen all the details of the game.
It is unfortunate that the source code was lost. :-(
For me, this game is perfect. has everything that I like about a classic game.
Beautiful graphics, colorful, various levels of scroll (though simulated) :-) incredible effect, gameplay (neither too fast nor too slow) "shooting", puzzle (thinking)...

I know you will be very busy, but try a little more..
Find the source codeee !. :-)

And if you organize a kickstarter to complete.. I with pleasure donate.
It is now fashionable again classics, many games are being made for A500 and AGA. not compare with the 90

I hope you will understand something of what I write with the translator.
Old 19 December 2012, 19:52   #68
vitux
Banned

Very good videos of Andreas, made ​​me laugh the sax and StarWars :-)
Old 25 December 2012, 22:01   #69
vitux
Banned

The artist graphic and music Nuxelia (Andreas) in all its glory, Great :-)
[ Show youtube player ]

Completed Nuxeliaaaaa!
Old 02 October 2013, 23:19   #70
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

perhaps we should try to ask to Erik Gustavsson to give his source codes ???
Old 09 October 2013, 13:31   #71
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
perhaps we should try to ask to Erik Gustavsson to give his source codes ???
Someone just have to finish this game ! Erik should try to do a kickstarter to release it !
Old 10 October 2013, 02:57   #72
ransom1122

Im new to this thread learning of the game from a youtube clip. The game is awesome, and it would be excellent if we could get a full blown version of this game. Any amiga fan would love this as it delivers what amiga can do very well. a colorful great platformer.
Wish you all the best in the compeltion of an already amazing game
Old 10 October 2013, 19:14   #73
s2325
Zone Friend

gameplay [ Show youtube player ] Awesome atmosphere, parallax scrolling, very nice, calm music, hero like in Wonderboy In Monsterland
Old 11 October 2013, 01:07   #74
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
gameplay [ Show youtube player ] Awesome atmosphere, parallax scrolling, very nice, calm music, hero like in Wonderboy In Monsterland
Looks great. Very smooth.
Old 11 October 2013, 15:28   #75
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Great animations, great scrolls great atmospher... this game rocks.
Old 11 October 2013, 17:31   #76
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

reminds me of some freeware amateur games released for the X68000 in the late 90's/early 2000's period. i hope it does get finished. the Amiga deserves it.
Old 13 December 2013, 14:31   #77
vulture

Just saw this today: Wow! Anyone has contact details of the creator?
Old 13 December 2013, 16:11   #78
emufan

he was here some month ago. Zikko/Erik.
Old 12 March 2017, 15:37   #79
Amigajay

Still can't get this to run, just get the title screen up and gets stuck.
Have extracted via winuae too as mentioned in this thread, could someone upload a known working version for me to try please?
Old 12 March 2017, 16:21   #80
DamienD
Banned

Oh wow, only just come across this thread.

Game looks insanely good!!!

< runs off to download / try >

Thread also moved from the request.Old Rare Games section to this project.aGTW section.