English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 13 September 2017, 21:29   #21
solidcore

See last post.

Last edited by solidcore; 20 September 2017 at 03:28.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 13 September 2017, 21:40   #22
kgc210

RGB is already on the CD32 Edge connector. Just connect it to a DB23 or HD15 connector etc?

For parallel just look at the CD32 Debug board

http://www.amigawiki.de/doku.php?id=...ice:schematics

http://www.amigawiki.de/dnl/schemati...g_Board_R2.pdf
Old 13 September 2017, 21:42   #23
plasmab

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post
RGB is already on the CD32 Edge connector. Just connect it to a DB23 or HD15 connector etc?
Any of these badgers open source?
Old 13 September 2017, 21:58   #24
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post

For parallel just look at the CD32 Debug board

http://www.amigawiki.de/doku.php?id=...ice:schematics

http://www.amigawiki.de/dnl/schemati...g_Board_R2.pdf
yeah the pinout is there but you'd need to add caps/resistors from what I've read about it. Would be a daughter solder-on addon.

Thanks for the links I'll have a mooch, I'll track down the authors and bang out some emails if they're useful. If it's from Commodore would that be fine to copy or is that a grey area even today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
Any of these badgers open source?
Hey there! Plasmab Your fault I'm even doing all this - I'll bill you later, joke!... I just couldn't resist your board and look forward to a TF328s :O, I have almost all the parts to assemble her/him but just waiting on the cpld's, ram came very quickly to my surprise. As another user pointed out you have a CD32 Edge board design on your Github, totally overlooked that, the chip on your design is no longer needed for the tf328 right since it works on the SX etc now? I don't know much about what you were doing at the time any advice on that matter is welcome.

Also yeah I don't want to rip anyone if I was to make add-on boards, I'd like them to be open source or FREE to use even for commercial use potentially, but for my personal use, I'd make them anyway of course lol.

Will you go FPGA's at some point?

What price maximum would be reasonable to sell a TF328 if I have a few laying around after purchasing extra parts etc... I read it was okay to sell them as long as it's not stupid money.

Much appreciated
Chris

Last edited by solidcore; 13 September 2017 at 22:52.
Old 13 September 2017, 22:52   #25
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post

What price maximum would be reasonable to sell a TF328 if I have a few laying around after purchasing extra parts etc...
Don't forget to factor in your time. I would imagine time should cost at least the same as materials.
Old 13 September 2017, 23:03   #26
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Don't forget to factor in your time. I would imagine time should cost at least the same as materials.
As I'm starting out I'm still in the sweet spot of having a great time and enjoying soldering especially SMD stuff *is that normal? * I don't think I'd even do it if I found it laborious and boring lol, although no disrespect to anyone who does it for a full-time wage, that's a different thing entirely and I'm envious of their skill and knowledge.

I'd like to sell any extra TF328 for a reasonable price as not to take the piss or anything, I'd couple it along with a Riser board as I'll have excess of these as well and because I'm a fair guy who tries to think about it from a buyers perspective especially one who can't solder. To be honest, when I first got my CD32 I was surprised to see how much a SX1/32 costs lol.

I was extremely happy to find out the RAM from Arrow via US to UK shipped , there are 20 pound handling charges or customs However .

Edit : arrow handling charges are 20 pounds for my orders

Last edited by solidcore; 21 September 2017 at 13:00.
Old 14 September 2017, 02:44   #27
dalek

Quote:

Will I be able to add RGB and other features in the future?

Your riser is looking good

Not sure if you saw it but Stedy gave us his schematic for a proper RGB circuit for the CD32 in this post:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=776
Old 14 September 2017, 03:58   #28
supaduper

Quote:

I was extremely happy to find out the RAM from Arrow via US to UK shipped with FEDEX had no handling charges or customs at all which made my day, I'll be using FEDEX with all my purchases on arrow
Got a link for the RAM bud?, is it compatible with the TF328 ?
Old 14 September 2017, 11:20   #29
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalek View Post
Your riser is looking good

Not sure if you saw it but Stedy gave us his schematic for a proper RGB circuit for the CD32 in this post:

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=776
Thank you for the compliment kind sir, hehe , shame we can't play moonstone together and cut each other's heads off as you're all the way down in Australia!

I appreciate the linkage regarding the RGB schematic by Stedy. Although another user will hopefully be revealing an alternative solution to RGB in good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Got a link for the RAM bud?, is it compatible with the TF328 ?
Sure, however, I have yet to test the ram, as I have not got a riser board or the CPLDS for the tf328 yet, so nothing has been soldered at this time.

Regarding the source of RAM i looked it up from the GitHub on Arrow, IS41C16100C-50TLI, Like I said in the previous post I ordered VIA fedex and 20 pound shipping or customs charges . it was also the earliest option for me.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/is...n-solution-inc

I grabbed 8 simply to make two TF328's. There's 144 in stock, I repeat I don't know 100% if these work or not I just followed what I believe is they're the right parts by looking at "DRAM Chip EDO 16Mbit 1Mx16 5V 44-Pin TSOP-II". (5v not 3v being a key point as I don't think the 3v variant works)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I don't want to be responsible for any mistakes in my advice, I'm a man of integrity hehe.

I see you're in Birmingham - nice and local, if you're a little uncertain about soldering the TF328 we can always down a crate of special brew and then try lol. joke :P I bloody love SMD soldering, in all honesty, that could me a little bit of a freak but I've just got into this kind of thing and the new aspect of it hasn't rubbed off as tiring or laborsome yet. lol

Btw mate if you're making a TF328 closely inspect your board as apparently some of these Chinese board makers can do a poor job like broken traces etc and I would hate for you to waste your good money on a bad board.

See: https://i.imgur.com/Ua8hGTs.jpg (Fortunately for me in this board the trace is unaffected but you can image a broken trace or short in some circumstances YIKES, I cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol immediately and tested points to be sure!)

Last edited by solidcore; 21 September 2017 at 13:01.
Old 14 September 2017, 12:02   #30
plasmab

Anyone can charge what they like for the TF328. But if it's silly money I'll undercut.

I have never had a bad board from DirtyPCBs. At least not electrically. The silkscreens can sometimes be a little faded but I don't care much about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 September 2017, 12:27   #31
solidcore

Quote:
Anyone can charge what they like for the TF328. But if it's silly money I'll undercut.

I have never had a bad board from DirtyPCBs. At least not electrically. The silkscreens can sometimes be a little faded but I don't care much about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for your response as it's much appreciated, regarding 'weapon grade' stuffs (don't know much about it myself) if I sold a pre-assembled one on ebay this one off to pay for my costs would there be any legal consequences you think or is that only if you go commercial?

tf328 at 130 plus a riser seems fair to me but if you don't agree then let me know

In the case of faded silkscreens, I'm not sure if the pic above constitutes as that because there's exposed copper to the right (luckily not the left); however fortunately electrically the connectivity works out on all the IDE pins so I'm going with it being cosmetic. The other board I have is fine, didn't order them myself just grabbed them off eBay as I wanted them sooner than later.

I'll likely be going with DirtyPCBs for my risers as well.
Old 14 September 2017, 13:06   #32
solidcore

*Update*
See last post.

Last edited by solidcore; 20 September 2017 at 03:28.
Old 20 September 2017, 03:35   #33
solidcore

*Update 2017 - 09 - 20*

I've finally finished my design, Bprepared helped me a lot with a lot of technical aspects and supaduper has certainly helped me get a tf328 built so It felt only right to send my PCB off. Thank you also to everyone in this thread.

I'm using pcbway.com, They'll arrive by e-packet (15-30 days) as I'm not too desperate to get the riser cards through DHL, if there had been a Fedex option, I'd of likely taken it... Fedex doesn't seem to charge from America to the UK, not sure about china.

I've added some pass-throughs for IDE/JTAG to make life easier as nobody likes opening their cd32 all the time, that ribbon cable is a shorty and I certainly don't think it's healthy to keep tugging at it. I understand we may need buffered IDE for ribbon cables at any length and the passthrough would need double-sided headers that can accommodate both ends flush for the IDE ribbon(s). I also added a couple of jumpers on there for various possibilities, such as wiring up an on/off switch to the clock buffer (once it has been decided that will disable the board) and the power line passthrough for drives that don't support 44 pin power.

Once the boards arrive I'll take photos, test it, and send one to supaduper and Bprepared, I will have perhaps a couple spare but unsure what I'll do with them yet perhaps sell them or couple them with tf328's as a package.

I have ambitions for a passthrough sata when tf328s is available + an addon card design which will have rgb,usb etc. but let's see how this one turns out first.

*Fingers crossed I didn't mess things up it's my first PCB hehe*

Thank you
Chris.

Last edited by solidcore; 20 September 2017 at 03:43.
Old 20 September 2017, 15:00   #34
Akira

Quote:
I've added some pass-throughs for IDE/JTAG to make life easier as nobody likes opening their cd32 all the time, that ribbon cable is a shorty and I certainly don't think it's healthy to keep tugging at it. I understand we may need buffered IDE for ribbon cables at any length and the passthrough would need double-sided headers that can accommodate both ends flush for the IDE ribbon(s). I also added a couple of jumpers on there for various possibilities, such as wiring up an on/off switch to the clock buffer (once it has been decided that will disable the board) and the power line passthrough for drives that don't support 44 pin power.
Fantastic news! Another "riser" worth having!
Old 20 September 2017, 15:09   #35
alenppc

Quote:
Thankfully there seems to be a lot of people building these, so gougers won't be able to get away with it so easily.

My aim is to build and sell these for $50, IF I can get decently priced chips from UTSource to work.

What I am discovering recently however is that a ton of people don't own a riser. Which is strange, I thought everybody got theirs years ago, so it'd be nice to have an open design to build these as well.
Old 20 September 2017, 15:21   #36
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post
Which is strange, I thought everybody got theirs years ago
There was never any reason to have one I thought. Until kipper 2k made his available a couple of years ago with the promise of it allowing expansions to happen, there weren't any and also no real reasons to own one (what would you put in the pass-through?)
Old 20 September 2017, 15:23   #37
alenppc

I got mine for the RGB connector, so I could use the HDMI converter and/or the 1080 monitor.
Old 20 September 2017, 15:25   #38
Akira

Yeah that is a useful added feature.
Was that a kipper one? There weren't many made as far as I can tell.
I think there was someone else making one of those though. But in general, I don't think people cared much. CD32 is as vilified as the A600, unjustly.
Old 20 September 2017, 15:28   #39
alenppc

Yeah, I got the very first kipper version, with the small 8-pin or whatever PIC.
Old 20 September 2017, 15:38   #40
Amigajay
醉拳

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenppc View Post

What I am discovering recently however is that a ton of people don't own a riser. Which is strange, I thought everybody got theirs years ago, so it'd be nice to have an open design to build these as well.
If people could have bought one a couple of years ago they would have.
AdSense AdSense