English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 April 2018, 12:36   #1
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Amiga Facts

Just a few things about Amiga some of you might not know?

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/20-thi...bout-the-amiga

Also if any of you know anymore interesting facts about Amiga, please... enlighten all of us in this thread.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 30 April 2018, 17:04   #2
rothers

It has rookie errors in it.
Old 30 April 2018, 22:03   #3
kolla

One small fact... MS Windows 1.0 came in 1985, so AmigaBASIC was not "years before Windows", also Microsoft was not just "little company", they already pwnd the PC world with MSDOS, and also had Xenix.
Old 30 April 2018, 23:05   #4
malko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
One small fact... MS Windows 1.0 came in 1985, so AmigaBASIC was not "years before Windows", also Microsoft was not just "little company", they already pwnd the PC world with MSDOS, and also had Xenix.
There are plenty sites for this story. Here is one with nice pictures
Old 01 May 2018, 00:25   #5
haps
Rumpig

It was Commodore that sponsored Chelsea, not 'Amiga'.

I would say that 'Robin Hood & Friar Tuck' were actually the first malware: https://www.cs.utah.edu/~elb/folklore/xerox.txt

Microsoft did not 'work for Amiga', MS-Basic was the foundation of the company and was licensed to several companies. I tried to explain this to a bloke on another site who reckoned Gates worked for Apple before M$ and he would not accept it even when I linked him to a post by Wozniak saying the same thing.
Old 01 May 2018, 12:10   #6
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
One small fact... MS Windows 1.0 came in 1985, so AmigaBASIC was not "years before Windows"

This was something I was questioning too. It didn't seem right when I first read it on the facts page. So the way you are stating it kola, is also pointing to Microsoft not working with Amiga. I know they were early in the PC market but something here just isn't ringing true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
It was Commodore that sponsored Chelsea, not 'Amiga'.

This is correct and I knew the facts page made a slight error, It was Commodore that sponsored Chelsea. Amiga had no advertising control over Commodore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Microsoft did not 'work for Amiga', MS-Basic was the foundation of the company and was licensed to several companies. I tried to explain this to a bloke on another site who reckoned Gates worked for Apple before M$ and he would not accept it even when I linked him to a post by Wozniak saying the same thing.

This is very interesting as I didn't know this either. I always thought Microsoft was involved with Amiga and the Basic and that there was some scandal going on over the years. Also looking at the link malko provided, there is some really interesting information on there. Has anyone else not noticed that the release years of Windows 1 to 3.1, correspond with Commodores workbench/kick-start release.

1985, Commodore KS 1.0 / Microsoft Windows 1.0
1987, Commodore KS 1.2 / Microsoft Windows 2.0
1990, Commodore KS 1.4, 2.0 / Microsoft Windows 3.0
1992, Commodore KS 3.0 / Microsoft Windows 3.1

The similarities between early Workbench and Windows 1.0 is staggering, albeit a little too Apple like in many ways! Too much of a coincidence wouldn't you think?

Gates was known for stealing software and did so many times, specially with Apple. So why would he be any different to Commodore/Amiga?
Old 01 May 2018, 12:32   #7
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
The similarities between early Workbench and Windows 1.0 is staggering, albeit a little too Apple like in many ways! Too much of a coincidence wouldn't you think?
Not surprising, as all of them were mimicking the desktops of Unix workstations, Xerox etc of the time.

If you look closely at the Win95 etc widgets, you see they are copies of the once used by NeXTStep.
Old 01 May 2018, 18:19   #8
UberFreak

Similarities between Windows1.0 and Workbench1.0?
What are you guys smoking

From Wiki:
"Windows 1.0 is not a complete operating system; rather, it extends MS-DOS."
"Windows 1.0 does not allow overlapping windows. Instead all windows are tiled."

Sorry, I wouldnt even call that an OS, just a really bad GUI app running on top of DOS (this would only change 10 years later with Windows95).
Not to mention that Windows completely lacked multitasking at this stage.

I can't find any similarities, except the release year...
Old 01 May 2018, 18:44   #9
Megol

Quote:
Not surprising, as all of them were mimicking the desktops of Unix workstations, Xerox etc of the time.
Xerox, Apple Lisa, Apple Macintosh - yes. Unix - no.

MGR for Unix was released in some form in 1984.
X Windows - 1984.

Quote:
If you look closely at the Win95 etc widgets, you see they are copies of the once used by NeXTStep.
No.
Old 01 May 2018, 20:35   #10
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
Similarities between Windows1.0 and Workbench1.0?
What are you guys smoking

I can't find any similarities, except the release year...

I was referring more to the appearance than anything else. You have got to admit that they do look similar, specially against the Atari and Apple OS.
Old 03 May 2018, 14:48   #11
kolla

@Megol

X Window (not "Windows") System is not a GUI toolkit/widget set - it has no "looks", so not really a relevant example.

How about this:
[ Show youtube player ]

How you cannot see how the Win95 widgets are "inspired" by the ones of NeXT, is beyond me - one can barely tell them apart.

Which one is NeXT and which one is Win95?

Last edited by kolla; 03 May 2018 at 15:19.
Old 03 May 2018, 20:30   #12
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
How you cannot see how the Win95 widgets are "inspired" by the ones of NeXT, is beyond me - one can barely tell them apart.

They look completely the same, with the exception of one being slightly larger than the other.

Nevertheless, if this was copyrighted someone would have something to say! So why didn't they?
Old 03 May 2018, 22:13   #13
jotd
Cat freak

err, it's just a square with black borders, the upper border is thicker...
Old 03 May 2018, 22:49   #14
Daedalus

At that time, people weren't in the business of suing other companies for creating obvious shapes. That sort of carry on is a relatively recent development.
Old 04 May 2018, 10:25   #15
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
At that time, people weren't in the business of suing other companies for creating obvious shapes. That sort of carry on is a relatively recent development.
Agreed. Although you would think that even as trivial as it is, if they Copy, others have the Right to prosecute. I guess it isn't the highest form of flattery, after all !

Here are some other interesting Amiga facts that you can absorb and offer your opinions on...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...e-likely-dying

This site seems to insist that it is a Fact, that not enough of us are trying to preserve original Amiga Software. Mainly Games. There is some interesting views on Copyright too. They go on to mention that preserving Amiga video games, isn't just about shelving and/or image files.

Take a look at some of the facts they are putting forward and offer your opinions here.
Old 04 May 2018, 11:31   #16
Glen M

I've got something like 20gb of ADF files on my NAS. Thousands of games including multiples depending on region and release group. I think the community has a fair amount of the games backed up.
Old 04 May 2018, 16:23   #17
puppypc

Quote:
No offense, kolla, but the left one is quite obviously Win95 :P
Old 04 May 2018, 23:15   #18
kolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypc View Post
No offense, kolla, but the left one is quite obviously Win95 :P
Correct, it is obvious since it is not square and also "cheaper" with the shadings. The first thing I thought when I saw Win95 though, was "eh.. NeXT widgets?"
AdSense AdSense