English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 February 2003, 05:58   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

CD32 questions

I had no idea of where to post it, so here it goes...

I just found a guy who has a CD32 who he doesn't use (He said it was an amiga, but he didn't know the model.. when he checked it out, he saw it was a CD32.... yeah. the CD32 was sold OFICCIALY here, and some fools bought it, though it never had proper support here).

He said he's interested in sell it, as he doesn't use it for nothing, but he has no idea of its value.

How much should I pay for it?

And can I play floppy games with it, burning the games on a CD or something like that?

There would be no point for me to buy it just to play CD32 games (At least not for now, as I still don't have a vanilla Amiga).. but if I can play floppy games on it, then it could be my alternative to not have an Amiga at all.
Old 21 February 2003, 09:18   #2
mtb

There is a way to play also floppy games, you can see

http://acdldp.emuunlim.com/

In fact you can make a cd containing a lot of floppy games, but you can also use a floppy drive ( cdtv with a floppy drive was like an a500 with 1mb chip, cd32 should be like an a1200 without keyboard ).

For the price i really don't know.
Old 21 February 2003, 10:35   #3
gary

Re: CD32 questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
I had no idea of where to post it, so here it goes...

I just found a guy who has a CD32 ...
... can I play floppy games with it, burning the games on a CD or something like that?...
...if I can play floppy games on it, then it could be my alternative to not have an Amiga at all.
Here is information about a CD32 Compilation CD which contains 100 games (mostly converted from floppy disk) called "CD32-100". Its at the EMU-UK forum (www.total-amiga.com):

http://www.total-amiga.com/Vbulletin...&threadid=1311

You can use it on a normal CD32 (no extra memory/floppy disk/keyboard/etc.) All games are chosen from a menu.
More compilation CDs will be available soon (read the forum for updates).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	all2b.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	4723  
Old 21 February 2003, 10:49   #4
kriz

ohh wow !!! Somebody have finally made a disc with lots of games for cd32 !!!! I want this !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 February 2003, 11:16   #5
Amigaboy

*slaps self on head*

CD32 CDs are NOT hard to create.
About a year ago, I created a CD with 400+ games, of which 90-95% work and the remaining either don't work, or require keyboard controls at some point
On this very same CD, there's about 80 or so demos

I didn't use a menu to launch the games because that's limited to how many entries the menu system supports. Rather, my CD boots into a minimum install of workbench with startup-sequence, etc. modified heavily so the very minimum is loaded on startup, thus ensuring I get the maximum amount of memory to myself. Also on startup, I have a program called joymouse (I think) which allows me to navigate workbench using my CD32 pad/joystick

So yeah. The Emu-Uk thing is nothing spectacular, although I do applaud them for at least giving it a shot, while other people just sit around and whine about how it's possible but they don't want to do it.

Shatterhand:
Don't pay too much for it. A CD32 is nothing but an A1200 without a keyboard or floppy drive. If it were me (I must emphasise ME....I seem to get things pretty cheap), I would pay no more than $30 AUS (about $15 US). I've seen them go for less here in Australia. I don't know the CD32 situation in other countries

As I stated above, it's possible to play just about any Amiga game on your CD32, with the following conditions:
- The game can run in 1.5mb - 2mb chip RAM. CD32 has no fast RAM
- The game is HD installable, whether it be via WHDLoad, Jst, or just a normal WB Game
- The game doesn't require keyboard

If it satisfies the above, it's very simple to create a bootable CD.
Set up a WinUAE HD which is 68020, 2mb chip RAM, AGA. Install this HD with Workbench 3.x and optimise the startup-sequence if you want to free some memory.
From here, begin installing games to this HD. Remember you're limited to 650mb/700mb (depending on what type of CD you use...does the CD32 support CDs of greater density?).
Test every game to make sure they work on this HD setup, as well as them not requiring keyboard (IMPORTANT!). Sometimes, even though the game works under WinUAE on your HD setup, they won't necessarily work on CD32, so that's something you'll just have to put up with unfortunately....
When you're done, follow the steps at http://acdldp.emuunlim.com/bootablecdr.shtml since it looks like it's basically what's needed to create the CD

In the end, you should have a bootable CD32 CD.

If anyone is trying to make a CD and is having trouble, PM me or something. I'll try to help out, although it's been a while since I mucked around with this type of thing.

Old 21 February 2003, 11:25   #6
kriz

true amigaboy ) I know I probably could make this myself, but this version looks so good ... screenshots of the games and a nice menu ...

But I thought many of the WHDload games needed 2MB chip + some fast ram (wich the cd32 doesnt have ..) ???
Old 21 February 2003, 11:31   #7
Amigaboy

Yep. The CD32 only has 2mb chip. Nothing more
It's for this reason that you have to be clever when selecting what games go onto the CD. Most of the time, I opted for normal Workbench installable games (KickIt rocks! ) as well as JST games, since they're 2mb friendly
For the WHDLoad games I have on there (of which there's many) and the WHDLoad demos, you need to muck around with tooltypes. As I said, it's been a while, but get rid of PRELOAD from any icons that have it, and replace it with HDLOAD and LOWMEM (LOMEM?)....I think these are the tooltypes, but I can't remember
Read the WHD docs

Old 21 February 2003, 13:16   #8
kriz

hmm oki, thanks man .. thats what i thought too ..
Old 21 February 2003, 20:10   #9
th4t1guy

Here in the US, a cd32 is worth about $75. If you keep your eyes open on Ebay, you might be able to catch a few people selling upgrades for it, but they generally end up being quite expensive, depending on what it is.
Old 21 February 2003, 22:27   #10
Amiga1992

Another thing, if theCD32 is NTSC, don't buy it. You better get a PAL one. Unless you can get this unit you are eyeing for dirt cheap.
Old 23 February 2003, 23:07   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I have no idea of how the Brazilians CD32 were made (My Brazilian A600 had a 1.3 kickstart on it!), but it's probably an NTSC one..

No keyboard support, no Fast Ram support...... Yeah, I will only buy it if it's really very cheap, or else it's better to wait 'til I can find a cheap Amiga here.
Old 23 February 2003, 23:59   #12
Daz

I think they're pretty, buy it anyway to make your home look nicer
Old 24 February 2003, 02:22   #13
gary

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
*slaps self on head*

CD32 CDs are NOT hard to create.
About a year ago, I created a CD with 400+ games, of which 90-95% work and the remaining either don't work, or require keyboard controls at some point
On this very same CD, there's about 80 or so demos
Where can I download this CD? What is it called? I've been looking for ready-to-run compilations for a long time and only found a handfull which only included about 10 games each, most requiring fast-mem, keyboards, etc. I never found any available for download.
Old 24 February 2003, 07:20   #14
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by gary
Where can I download this CD? What is it called? I've been looking for ready-to-run compilations for a long time and only found a handfull which only included about 10 games each, most requiring fast-mem, keyboards, etc. I never found any available for download.
Not downloadable (and never will be). I made it for myself since I had a CD32 sitting around, and even though I have ALOT of games for it, I wanted more

um....I shall now call it "The Super Duper Ultimate Mega Fantastic Superb CD32 CD" or TSDUMFSCD32CD for short

Old 24 February 2003, 16:17   #15
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
(My Brazilian A600 had a 1.3 kickstart on it!)
But shatts, we know your A600 was a knockup made of probably stolen parts;D
Old 26 February 2003, 10:31   #16
Big-Byte
Long time member

Why would your CD32 comp never be downloadable?

I would ask that you uploaded to my ftp but unfortuately my pc is broke at the moment and will be until I get a new fan for my gfx card or just a new gfx card.
Old 26 February 2003, 10:34   #17
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-Byte
Why would your CD32 comp never be downloadable?
I created it solely for the purpose of entertaining myself, not for distribution
This is one thing my decision will never change with.

Sorry guys

Old 26 February 2003, 10:47   #18
gary

So theres a few hunderd megs worth of hardcore pictures on there that you can't remove without rebuilding the ISO image huh?
Old 26 February 2003, 11:01   #19
Amigaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by gary
So theres a few hunderd megs worth of hardcore pictures on there that you can't remove without rebuilding the ISO image huh?
I told Akira not to tell anyone!

Old 27 February 2003, 05:00   #20
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
But shatts, we know your A600 was a knockup made of probably stolen parts;D
LOL

It wouldn't surprise me if that's what happened after all