English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 June 2011, 18:10   #21
mattbarton.exe

Hehe, love that review, Shoonay. Some funny stuff! I think I'll have to steal some of that guy's techniques.

The Witcher 2 looks superior to the original in almost every way, too. I probably should just skip the rest of 1 and go straight to that.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thewitcher/review.html

This review is a lot more critical than I am of the dialog and voice acting, btw.

Last edited by TCD; 06 June 2011 at 19:12. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 06 June 2011, 18:38   #22
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Oh, and BTW Matt, I forgot to mention this because I'm still ROTFLing at your reaction (AAAARGGHHHhhh! ) when you notice the "kill two worms with one stone" dialog, BUT, I think that was a variation on the Sapkowki-style of "inventing" new idioms, sayings, and correlations of words he uses often in the books. AND, at the same time it is also wrong, because the Polish Geralt says at that time exactly what you thought he did - "upiec dwie pieczenie na jednym ogniu" (to cook two meals on one stove) which is our equivalent of the English idiom "to kill two birds with one stone" ...

Last edited by Shoonay; 07 June 2011 at 00:09.
Old 06 June 2011, 20:39   #23
mattbarton.exe

Thanks, Shoonay. I figured a lot of stuff like that was happening to the dialog. I don't know much about Poland, but I know it's a heckuva lot different than what I'm accustomed to (I spent Christmas with some Polish folks one year and was stupefied by all the customs I'd never heard of).

Looking back on it, I wonder why they didn't just set this game in Medieval Poland and add in the supernatural elements like they did with Germany in Darklands. That would've been pretty cool IMO, since you could have actually learned some stuff about Poland.
Old 08 June 2011, 09:44   #24
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
Thanks, Gilgamesh. Yeah, I heard the same thing -- oh, you can't criticize game X because you haven't put 100 hours into it. Whatever. I generally expect a game to capture me as soon as the intro/tutorial type stuff is done. If I've played it for four hours and waiting for it to "pick up," I know something's wrong. If you keep on after four hours despite being bored with it, then you're either just determined to finish it or actually like it better than you realize.
I don't mind a game needing a little momentum, but dozens of hours is just silly. A game needs to be replayable if you ever want to get your money's worth; if it only reaches its peek after a hundred hours of play it is certainly not replayable; nobody is going to make that time investment twice!
Old 08 June 2011, 10:47   #25
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Skylanders was reviewed by Ars Technica.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...video-game.ars

Looks awesome.
Old 11 June 2011, 14:22   #26
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Matt Chat 105: Jon Hare of Sensible Software

Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder or Mega Lo Mania anyone? Matt discusses the endumbening of video gamers with Jon Hare. Enjoy!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 June 2011, 15:23   #27
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Cool as always Matt, thanks
Old 11 June 2011, 15:42   #28
Bloodwych

Wow, really enjoyed this weeks instalment. I agree, Tiny Wings isn't anything special or something we haven't seen before. It is a step back from the 2D games of old.

Lots of interesting ideas and thoughts coming from Jon. I'm really surprised, given his enthusiasm for innovative gaming, he hasn't got more action games like Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder. It should be him who is bringing out really addictive 2D games on the phones just like the good old days. A lot of past Amiga game designers should be banding together and jumping on this boat.

The word explorer game sounds interesting and new, but would it have been a huge hit on the 8bits and 16bits? I want to see Cannon Fodder 3 on the phones, but it sounds like Jon doesn't want to go backwards.

All the best to him anyway - sounds like a top bloke, and like many retrogamers, seems to still have that kid inside - even at 45!
Old 11 June 2011, 18:01   #29
mattbarton.exe

Thanks, guys. I wouldn't be surprised if Jon's comments set off a firestorm of criticism (already seeing some people offended by his remarks about Mass Effect and COD). It must have really been a different world for him, back when game publishers expected (not tolerated or were skeptical) of original ideas for games. Now, of course, you can't even get started unless you're part of a giant team working on an "established franchise" such as COD.

I see good and bad things here. I love the slick production values of COD, for instance. But I miss the diversity you used to find at the gameshop. Thankfully, I agree fully with Jon that the new markets (especially iTunes and Android) are really opening up to new stuff. Sadly, it's only a matter of a few generations (if that!) before the mobile tech gets as good or superior to the desktop/consoles, and then it will just be the same for everyone again.
Old 11 June 2011, 18:25   #30
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
see jon talk a few times now, really have to agree with a lot of what he has to say
Old 11 June 2011, 19:18   #31
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Wow, really enjoyed this weeks instalment. I agree, Tiny Wings isn't anything special or something we haven't seen before. It is a step back from the 2D games of old.

Lots of interesting ideas and thoughts coming from Jon. I'm really surprised, given his enthusiasm for innovative gaming, he hasn't got more action games like Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder. It should be him who is bringing out really addictive 2D games on the phones just like the good old days. A lot of past Amiga game designers should be banding together and jumping on this boat.

The word explorer game sounds interesting and new, but would it have been a huge hit on the 8bits and 16bits? I want to see Cannon Fodder 3 on the phones, but it sounds like Jon doesn't want to go backwards.

All the best to him anyway - sounds like a top bloke, and like many retrogamers, seems to still have that kid inside - even at 45!
All of Sensible Softwares back catalogue belongs to Codemasters, he couldn't write Cannon Fodder 3 if he wanted to.
Old 11 June 2011, 20:02   #32
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

boy, this guy really rips the modern game industry a new one.

And with good reason!
Old 11 June 2011, 22:30   #33
laffer
Zone Friend

Very cool episode! I agree with a lot of what he says... not that all new games are bad, they do feel soulless a lot of the time.
Old 12 June 2011, 05:11   #34
blade002
Zone Friend

What a wonderful interview On the subject of gaming on Android devices though, i own a Samsung Galaxy S and despite their being a plethora of games available for it, i just can't stand controlling a game via the touch screen.

For example, i downloaded a 1942 inspired shooter last night but it required for one of my fingers to be all over the screen to move it left, right, up and down which meant my finger was blocking half the view of the bloody screen.
Old 12 June 2011, 10:24   #35
Skope
Protracker

Another enjoyable episode. Nice work Matt.
Old 12 June 2011, 11:03   #36
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
All of Sensible Softwares back catalogue belongs to Codemasters, he couldn't write Cannon Fodder 3 if he wanted to.
Just did some reading up, and yes it's out of his hands as you said. A shame. Also seems codemasters have nothing to do with an upcoming GFI version:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...der-for-pc-360

I think I'll just stick to the memories of the original Cannon Fodder! I bet Jon is tired of being asked about it and his old Amiga games involvement when its out of his control.
Old 12 June 2011, 12:34   #37
Sensi
Unregistered User

15.56 - 16.50 Agree.

I have nothing against modern games, but they are so similar to each other (as Jon said) and I have no time and mood for trying every single one, playing demos, reading reviews and decide which games are worth playing. Its easier to download freely distributable game that I've got on my list of "want to play sometime" games and get back to 80s or 90s, for free, in few secs/mins.

I think he's saying what most of the retrogamers already know.

Sensible Soccer, SWOS and Mega Lo Mania are great games, SWOS is one of my favs of alltimes, its nice to see an interview with someone who gave me so much fun

Thanks for this interview, Matt

Pitty these GODS of 80s and 90s gaming are not memebers of this (or other) forums
Old 12 June 2011, 13:43   #38
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
and I`ll think sony owns codemasters at least thats what jon implied last time I heard him that sony own all his stuff
Old 18 June 2011, 22:20   #39
mattbarton.exe

Do you guys think Sensible Software were the best C64 devs and Amiga devs at the end of their respective production cycles? Jon Hare thinks so.
Old 19 June 2011, 00:11   #40
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
In term of making great games, i say yes. Cannon fodder has been sold to a huge amount, and that because it's a excellent game, and very funny.