English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 June 2001, 01:13   #1
Malc
Zone Friend

Thumbs up Amiga Disk Mags

Hiya guys, long time no see

Anyway ALE is now safe and warm in it's new home and we once again update the content with some Disk Magazines for those that are interested (a fair few according to post on this very board not long ago)...here they are:

Channel Z - Issue #1 (A1200 Disk Mag)
Channel Z - Issue #3 (A1200 Disk Mag)
Channel Z - Issue #5 (A1200 Disk Mag)
Grapevine Issue #18 (Disk Mag)
Grapevine Issue #19 (Disk Mag)
Mag E Issue #1 (Science Fiction Disk Mag)
Mag E Issue #2 (Science Fiction Disk Mag)
Mag E Issue #3 (Science Fiction Disk Mag)
Total Irrelevance Issue #5 (OctaMED Disk Mag)
WAC Issue #1 (Amos Disk Mag)

Enjoy.

www.commodore-ale.com - just in case you forgot.
Old 04 June 2001, 10:10   #2
MethodGit

Smile Great. Talking of disk mags though...

When is Mr Big's long expected update to Amiga Coverdisks coming then? It's been a very long time coming!
Old 04 June 2001, 13:23   #3
enigma

Cool Another fine url for my list... thanx!

Well of course my game list is larger than this site's
but thanx for the tip.

As for the disk-images...

Old 05 June 2001, 02:43   #4
Malc
Zone Friend

"Well of course my game list is larger than this site's
but thanx for the tip. "

Not sure which way to take that mate? an insult or a compliment anyway Mr Dig! is meant to be updating his site soon, the FTP is working again as most of you know so the ball is in his court right now.

More Disk Mags etc coming.
Old 14 June 2001, 15:45   #5
MrDig

Smile

Well, last week I finished my final school project and now I only have to prepare myself for a presentation.. So I have some more free time the following weeks..

Anyway.. This week I started again with my Coverdisks site.. I still have many many coverdisks which aren't on the site yet... Furthermore I'm planning to add scans of all the actual magazines I own.. I already scanned all my Amiga Action issues..
And I want to make my site viewable for all users, so that people owning real Amigas with internet can view my site.. Several people reported this problem.. So, currently I'm redesigning all the navigation menu's. When all this is finished then you can expect an update.... So my next update will be:
- Amiga Action magazines cover- and diskscans
- Some new coverdisks (Amiga Action, The One, Amiga Computing)
- Non java navigation menus..

I can't say when this update will be finished, depends on several things... I surely hope before the end of this month...

Regards, and I want to thank all the people who have visited my site for the last couple of months even without any updates...

ps. If you, Malc-ALE, want to post this message on commodore-ale.com then go ahead..

Ooppps.. forgot I can post news at commodore-ale.com by meself.. so I will do that...

Last edited by MrDig; 14 June 2001 at 16:42.

Old 14 June 2001, 17:00   #6
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Very cool...I always get butterflies in me stomach when I learn that there will be an update to yer site! Ebay has been flourishing with lovely Amiga mags and their accompanying disks over the last month or so and I have been coveting them. But the fact that I am in the states and these mass lots are overseas, it's just not in my budget to afford such shipping, so I have to watch these juicy bundles fly away. Quite heartbreaking.
Old 14 June 2001, 18:13   #7
MrDig

Thanks for the complement Twistin' Ghost! And I know what it is.. When I see such nice Amiga related material on several sites I always want to buy it all.. But that's not possible I'm afraid..

Old 14 June 2001, 19:37   #8
Amiga1992

I have to get some stuff for you mate, I have a bunch of The One coverdisks that want a home in your site
Old 18 June 2001, 09:31   #9
MrDig

I was away for the weekend so I couldn't reply any faster..

Thanks for the offer Akira! I'm looking forward to your The One coverdisks.. The One is my favourite mag actually.. Can you mail me or tell me in this tread which disks you have and how do you want to send them over?

Old 18 June 2001, 20:04   #10
Amiga1992

I have to check at home. I think I lost only one coverdisk (January 1993, Psycho Santa on the cover ((( ), the rest are there. They all date from 1993 and ahead. Off the top of my head, I think I have:

November 93
December 93
January 93
February 93
March 93
December 93
January 94
February 94

errrr.. some might be wrong, I gotta check. They are about 10. I'll let you know when I dump them.

Oh, now I remember I deleted the Aladdin demo coverdisk too.. What a twat!!! arghhhhh, all for the red transparent disk
Old 18 June 2001, 23:30   #11
MrDig

Wow! These The One disks would be really cool! You mentioned december 93 twice, I hope you meant december 93 and 94 because if I remember it well the demos of december 94 rocks! (Rise of The Robots, Mortal Kombat, etc..) I still blame myself for not buying that issue..

Well, not bad you only miss 2 disks, I also lost a couple of disks because I didn't store all the disks very well..

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your disks!

Old 19 June 2001, 18:55   #12
Amiga1992

After I wrote the first December 93, all the rest should be 1994/ Stupid brain! :P

Yep, Ive got that issue. Mortal Kombat 2 and Rise of the Robots in the cover. Oh, and a demo of an unreleased Thalion game nicknamed Fighter X, or something. That issue has a cool MK2 poster.

I remmeber the covers and disks more than most, though I dont know the exact dates. I'll give you a detailed description whenever I get home.
Old 22 June 2001, 12:54   #13
MrDig

Great that you have The One issue December 94! Finally there is someone who has these disks

A bit strange that X-Fighter is on a coverdisk of December 94 because this unreleased game is also on a The One coverdisk of April 95.. This disk can be found on my site already...

Old 22 June 2001, 18:44   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I may have that The One coverdisk with Psycho Santa on it. Once my disks arrive, I too will be contributing some missing gaps in your coverdisk library. Unfortunately, I don't have a listing of which disks I have, but it's quite a pile.
Old 22 June 2001, 19:36   #15
Amiga1992

MrDig, I confused the disks then :P See, I told you I have bad memory for that stuff... however when I take a look at the library I automatically remember the content of each mag! Strange, that.
Old 22 June 2001, 23:21   #16
MrDig

I checked various mags and I believe there was also a demo of Super StreetFighter 2 on The One issue december 94.. Well, I'll just wait and see..

And thanks for the offer Twistin' Ghost! I'm looking forward to your The One disks also! Psycho Santa sounds nice

And before I am going to press the submit reply button I just wanted to say that I finally updated my coverdisk site!

These are all the new goodies (for detailed updating info just visit my site...):

- Non java navigation bars
- Changed layout a bit (fonts, colors, html-code)
- 3 Amiga Action issues and all available coverscans and diskscans!
- 8 The One issues
- 2 Amiga Power issues and various scans...
- 4 Amiga Computing issues

Phew! I'm glad I've finished this update before the end of june as promised... Now I am gonna focus on adding more disks, coverscans and diskscans...

I hope you all like it and if one of you has some tips and/or suggestions, just mail me or respond!

Old 23 June 2001, 07:31   #17
Amiga1992

Great!!! AN UPDATE!! excellent Mr Dig

As for the coverdisks... I can confirm that the Dec94 issues doesnt have a SSF2 demo.... I just checked

Since I am here I will tell you which coverdisks I really got, as well as its contents:

Mar 92 [old ed, named as 'The One Sneak Previews Disk Nr 8]
INdy Heat Demo, Fuzzball Demo,

Apr 92
Space crusade Demo
Parasol Stars Demo
MS Gold and Snooker savestates, or something.

Nov 93:
Disk a - Uridium 2 Demo
Disk b - Hero Quest 2 Demo / Zombie Apocalypse PD
Disk c - Seek & Destroy Demo / Project Buzzbar PD

Dec 93
Disk a - Alien Breed 2 Demo
Disk b - Brian the Lion Demo / Bob's Bad Day Demo

Jan 94
Disk a - Galactic :Xmas remix [full game]
Disk b - Zool 2 Demo / Beetle PD game [full? kind of]

Feb 94
Disk a - Beneath a Steel Sky Demo
Disk b - Super Methane Bros. Demo

Mar 94
Disk a - Benefactor Demo / Ork Attack PD / Polymorf PD
Disk b - Championship Manager Italia Demo / Premier Picks PD

Oct 94
Disk a - Alien Breed : Tower Assault Demo / Zonked! Demo
Disk b - Sensible World of Soccer Fancy League Demo

Nov 94
Disk a - Aladdin Demo (grrr I deleted this one!)
Disk b - Embryo Demo

Dec 94
Disk a - Rise of the Robots demo
Disk b - Mortal Kombat 2 Demo

Jan 95
Disk a - Jungle Strike Demo (A1200)
Disk b - Holiday Lemmings 94 Demo
Disk c - Super Skidmarks 2 Demo / Base jumpers Demo

Apr 95
Disk a - X-Fighter preview
Disk b - Flight of the Amazon Queen demo

Other assorted coverdisks I still have...

Amiga Computing April 1994
Disk a - Kindwords 3 full proggy [disk one]
Disk b - Kindwords 3 part two / CLiVA

Amiga Power Disks 10 and 11

Amiga Computing, issues 45, 46, 47, 49

Amiga Format disks 31, 32,

Amiga Action disks 26/26

Amiga User INternational Superdisk 28

I must have lost about ten coverdisks though (( Anyway, that's what Ive giot and Ill try to give you anything you dont have.

Cheers,
Old 23 June 2001, 16:10   #18
MethodGit

Big grin Woo-hoo!!! Finally an new update on the site!

Thanks VERY much, Mr Dig, for adding some more (obscure?) coverdisks to your page, and also for the new inclusion of disk/magazine scans. If only it was possible to scan EVERY page of these magazines, we'd be able to possibly recreate the original mags...

I'd also like to thank Akira for still having the "The One Amiga" Jan 94 (I've been looking for that disk!) and Dec 94 (I remember having these, don't know if I still have them today though) disks!! And for having another The One disk that I didn't know about (Apr 92)!!
If memory strikes me though, Akira, I swear that the Base Jumpers demo is actually on Disk B (with Holiday Lemmings 94) of the Jan 95 issue! Do you have a completely different copy to mine?

Now, though I'd ask you this, Mr Dig. Have you been given the following coverdisks yet?

The One
Jan 94
Disk A - Mr Nutz, Clockwiser, Ouch!, Tanx 'n' Stuff
Disk B - Puggsy, Xmas Time
Disk C - Banshee, Waggle-O-Mania II, Smidge

I remember having that issue and the disks, but I'll have to check to see if I've still got those disks...

CU Amiga
Sorry, don't know what the dates on these disks were, it doesn't mention a date on the labels
Disk 18 - Demo-Maker, Moonstone, Superecho, Time Set
Disk 19 - Lotus II, some special printer driver, Trippen, Power Pong, plus some docs, a picture-of-the-month & a tune-of-the-month
Disk 21 - Cubulus, DLock, plus an anti-disk device & a picture-of-the-month

(I actually have these CU Amiga disks on real disk format (what's more, I only just received these disks a few weeks ago after I bought some disks from a car boot sale. I luuurrvvee car boot sales, me ) but I don't have a null-modem cable or any software/hardware stuff to turn my disks into ADFs, sorry )

I also remember having another CU Amiga disk containing playable demos of Lotus III and Silly Putty (I'll check to see if I still have it). Do you have this disk?

Also, from that car boot sale, I have a coverdisk from some unknown magazine (no proper label, it was a hand-written one mentioning only the demos) which features two playable demos: Blood Money & Prehistorik.

About Amiga Power 64: I have this disk, but, as you may have read already, I am unable to transfer it as of this time. The disk can actually be found at some obscure FTP containing *almost* all the Amiga Power disks (click here), but when I tried to copy the game to a hard-disk (the Amiga way, of course), the (emulated Amiga) system reported detecting some checksum error in the executable (I could still copy it using ADF Opus and/or ADF Explorer in Windows though, so that's not a problem). Now I'm not sure if this checksum thingy was on the original disk (it didn't prevent the game from running though), I jsut thought that maybe you should be given a disk that had *no* errors of any kind whatsoever, that's all.

Another question: does anyone remember the magazine Amiga Mania? This one was rather obscure, even in the UK where I bought it from. Its coverdisks were mostly full games (I don't remember seeing any commercial demos on their disks at any point), featuring the likes of Brainball (from the first issue), Dungeons Of Avalon 1 & 2 (seperate from each other of course), Crazy Sue 2, Ramses, plus some other game I remember which, oh no!, I've completely forgotten the title of. I don't have a detailed enough description of this game for you to help me out here, but all I remember of it is that it looked futuristic, and you could choose to play the premade levels or make your own, and it had really cool music (a bit of it I still remember) and before each level started you got some green fireworks and a small message at the bottom giving you some short details about the level and then telling you to press fire to start or something. But that's all I remember of it, sorry.

Also, does anyone remember an Amiga/PC/ST magazine called Public Domain? It always had a mixed-format disk that you could run through your Amiga or PC or Atari ST, and there was different content for each computer on the disks. I have at least one working Public Domain disk (from the car boot sale), although it's a different one to the disk I had a dozen years ago.

Three more questions for Mr Dig:

1. How come I am apparently "forbidden" from entering the The One September 1991 page and from downloading the AP63 disk?
2. You know those pages where you said about a disk "Unavailable, blah, blah, blah, please send it to MrDig@hotmail.com"? Well, have you received any of those disks that you previously asked us to send now?
3. Why don't any of the coverdisks have a .NFO file and a file_id.diz file in the zip anymore like a lot of the Amiga Power coverdisk zips featured?

I may have some more obscure coverdisks as well, I will check them for you as soon as possible.

Once again, congrats very much, for such a great and hugely interesting mixed-content update package for us this week.
Old 23 June 2001, 21:25   #19
Amiga1992

Hey, that Mr Nutz demo sounds neat. However it CANT BE January 1994, since, if you look above, I have that mag and it is not the same. You must be confusing months or years.

BTW, You could be right Marz, I added teh Base Jumpers demo wherever I wanted, really Since it doesnt appear in the coverdisk labels (it was a stop-presser!), I figured it out Id put it in disk C

You could send us the disks so we dump them and tehn return them to you, if you cant transfer them. I'd take good care of them, promise
Old 23 June 2001, 22:36   #20
MethodGit

Stick out tongue Zoiks! I guess this is what happens when you try and make a huge post listing...

Okay, I didn't mean to say "Jan 94" in there, you are right. I think the disks must be from the "Christmas 94" issue, unless The One didn't do any Christmas issues, did they?