English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 March 2023, 19:35   #1
markpaterson

Request: Indivision MK3 users. Please share pics of your in-game scanlines.

I have my A1200 connected by VGA to a 1999 17" Apple Studio Display. It's an incredible CRT for general Workbench and productivity apps, but I also want to use it for retro Amiga gaming.

I'm looking at purchasing the Indivision AGA MK3 to make this possible.

I'm not a fan of the blocky scan-doubled look for retro gaming. I want to preserve the original Amiga look of scanlines.

I know that the Indivision AGA MK3 can add scanlines but I can find very few examples of this in action. The few I've found have no information on the settings they used. I can also find nothing of how it looks on a VGA CRT. Before I plop down ~$200 on the Indivision, I'd love to see some more examples.

I know that it has darkness settings of 25% 50% and 75%. I'd love to see examples of each. And examples of any other settings that affect the look of the scanlines, please post that too. I realize that it might not have anywhere near as many settings to tweak as say a RetroTink 5X Pro, but it would still be great to see what's possible.

Hoping that one or two of you will indulge me with a close up photo of your screen. A HDMI frame grab would be even better as I can display that on my CRT monitor and get a very accurate demonstration of it.

So c'mon people, show off your awesome in-game scanlines!
Old 13 March 2023, 14:43   #2
mahen

Hi ! Quickly took 4 photographs of my 22" HDMI LCD monitor (IPS).

Scanlines opacity set to 50% (since the latest update there are more intermediate values)
filters : when horizontal & vertical bilinear filtering set to the max
no_filters : when set to 0 (15 values for each axis)

http://mahen.free.fr/amiga/indy_50_filters.jpg
http://mahen.free.fr/amiga/indy_50_filters_closeup.jpg

http://mahen.free.fr/amiga/indy_50_no_filters.jpg
http://mahen.free.fr/amiga/indy_50_n...rs_closeup.jpg

It's pretty satisfying provided the screen is not too big. IMHO 22" 16/9 or 17" 4/3 is the perfect size. I remember spending tons of time tweaking complex filters on the MiSTer FPGA and complex pixel shaders combinations under Retroarch, but all in all, I'm quite satisfied with my Indivision MK3 -- very compatible with HDMI screen -- apart from the "vsync with no double buffering mode /!", and pretty faithful compared to other complex treatments one could get... Anyway, you can get butter smooth tear-free display on any modern screen !

I have no idea what result you will get with your CRT but I suspect it will look stellar. I wouldn't be capable of standing a 50 Hz CRT nowadays though, due to eyestrain. I couldn't 10 years back

Last edited by mahen; 13 March 2023 at 14:54.
Old 13 March 2023, 20:56   #3
markpaterson

Thanks so much for posting this. I think it looks great! I prefer the look with the filters on because it seems to soften the pixel edges a little which seems more authentic, and it's great to know you can adjust it to suit your taste.

I know what you mean about the MiSter pixel shaders and how you can get lost in those settings. I have the RetroTink 5x, and while you can get great results from it, it's almost too much. Too many options, so you're left wondering if you have the right option or if you could improve it further. Maybe the "Tink" in the name comes from how much you can tinker with it instead of just playing the damn game! haha

I did a quick Google search of "indivision mk3 bilinear filtering" and it seems like other people agree with this too…
https://forum.icomp.de/index.php?thr...6413#post26413
Old 13 March 2023, 22:41   #4
mahen

Well, that's me too under a different nickname actually

Very glad I could help !
Old 13 March 2023, 22:46   #5
markpaterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by torturedutopian View Post
Well, that's me too under a different nickname actually
Haha! Small world!