English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 May 2009, 19:34   #1
s2325
Zone Friend

Question Resq, Psygnosis game for MegaDrive

Could someone tell me how can I pickup/rescue miners? No entry for this game on gamefaqs.com
Old 17 May 2009, 21:15   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
The only version there is (at least on Planetemu) is labeled beta.

In-game, although your projectiles can kill enemies, nothing can interact with your ship (enemy projectiles, lava ball, pikes).

So my guess is that collision detection with the ship had not been implemented and as a consequence collision with the miners does not work and therefore the miner can't be rescued.

Although very unlikely, it could be that it used a specific collision technique not emulated (at least not in Kega Fusion).
If you have another version than the beta one, I would not mind having a try at it.

Edit (since this was used as an argument during a discussion for the EMPL voting process): with more info about the game, given the rom header and having played further into it, the ship being invincible to enemy fire (at least as far as I have played) is very likely to be a design choice rather than some collision detection missing/not working. For instance, there are several times when you have to try and get out with a very good timing because there are enemy shootings (some with homing missiles) around and only a limited number of places to land on.

Last edited by lilalurl; 05 September 2009 at 10:09.
Old 26 May 2009, 12:41   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

thank you
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 May 2009, 12:45   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

now I see that I must exit ship somehow to rescue miners
Old 26 May 2009, 13:03   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

So I was partially wrong.

If you want to give it a try:

- To land and get out of the ship: locate a flat surface and hold down down (down down down down....). After a few seconds, the character will get out.

- To talk to the miner, press A. First time it will tell him to follow you. Second time it will tell him to wait.
The miners are a bit dumb when they are moving by the way.

- To get back into the ship, press up in front of the cockpit (as shown in the video). Don't try using the beam back to ship power (available in the menu when you press Start and which binds it to the A button), it will kill you (at least in the version I have it does).

- Edit addition: getting back in the cockpit and out replenishes the jetpack fuel.

Too bad the game was not finished, it seemed promising.

Edit: Stuck on level 6. The level is much harder. There are two miners I can't seem to save and don't see a potential solution. For one of them, there is a ruby (red) door that should open since I have ruby cards and keys, but it does not seem to work, so right now I wonder if it is a bug or if I am missing something.

Edit2: Just made some PAR codes to explore that level 6 later this week-end to try and find a solution to my problem. Here they are in case somebody need them (they create some garbage on the life/jetpack bars and score + the game get stuck in the gas areas if you do what should kill you):

- Infinite energy:
FFACA0:0061

- Infinite jetpack:
FFB8CC:0061

- Always have 5 lives:
FF8217:0005

Last edited by lilalurl; 29 May 2009 at 23:13.
Old 26 May 2009, 16:09   #6
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Took a bit more time to test the game.
From level 3 (dynamite level) onwards it becomes quite challenging and therefore interesting.

I won't spoil the interesting parts but be ready to restart some levels a few times because there are some deadly mistakes that anyone is likely to do the first time.

One thing I noticed and that you can be wondering about the first time you find them: Extra weapons (flame grenades, arc gun, missiles/bombs for the ship) are not carried from one mission to another so don't hesitate to use them in the level you get them.

While you will be at it, I forgot to note the code for level 5 (and not ready to do level 4 once again), therefore, if you don't mind noting and posting it there, we could start to compile a list of level codes.
Here are those I have noted so far:

2: FLAIS
3: FSWKM
4: TWSFS
5: ?
6: TIACB

Also, be warned that some areas are a bit difficult: bunch of enemies shooting at you at the same time (and the game rom header is 'Rescue Game which is NOT a shoot-em-up' ) and two rows of harmful moving spikes you are supposed to fly through (in level 5).
I try to play the levels without save states but I had to use a few saves/reloads for these passages.
Old 26 May 2009, 16:16   #7
s2325
Zone Friend

Thank you for your help. I think this game have atmosphere from Amiga games, not MegaDrive.
Old 26 May 2009, 16:52   #8
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Well, as you can see in his comment on the video you posted a link to, Jason Backhouse mentions the graphics were done on an A1200.

I would not be surprised if it was one of those games that were thought and designed for and on an Amiga but was mainly produced as a Megadrive game in order to have more commercial success (and maybe later an Amiga port, which was not likely in 1994).

Maybe you could ask a few questions to Jason Backhouse directly, to confirm or not your feeling.
Perhaps he also met FromWithin at Psygnosis back in the days and could have some interesting things to say about the Amiga.
Old 26 May 2009, 16:57   #9
s2325
Zone Friend

My english is poor, so I think it's not good idea.
Old 26 May 2009, 17:29   #10
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Lol, what a poor excuse. You have been posting here for almost 3 years without any trouble... Maybe you should start asking for every version of Sensible Soccer ever made....

I guess I have no other choice than to invite Jason Backhouse to this board myself.

Edit: message sent.

Last edited by lilalurl; 26 May 2009 at 18:01.
Old 03 June 2009, 18:09   #11
MrBackhouse

Hi Lilalurl.

Message received.

Just replied to you're message on YouTube. Hope you find it inrormative.

Old 03 June 2009, 18:13   #12
laffer
Zone Friend

Let's hear the message, lilalurl
Old 03 June 2009, 23:41   #13
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Welcome to EAB Jason and thanks for replying.

I'll post the answer here since, after reading it, I believe there is nothing that should remain private (if you think differently please notify me).
Quote:
Hi there.

Thank you for your continued interest in our labor of love from the 90's.

I'm not entirly sure why the game never made it into production, pretty sure it was very nearly completed and Psygnosis pulled out.

As far as I remember, a SNES port was a possibility but an Amiga version was never on the cards.

However, I can understand how the look and feel of the game comes across as more Amiga than Console. This was probably because I was inspired by the Bitmap Brothers graphic style back then, Other inspirations were games such as R-Type (for the ship) C64 version of Turrican, Super Ghosts and Goblins (for the centurion) Starwing/Starfox (for the 3D bonus game)

The Game was programmed on 486 PC's by Bill and Pete, while I used Deluxe Paint II and III on an Amiga 1200 with RAM upgrade for Graphics and Animation.

Bill actually worked on an Amiga title before RESQ, remember this "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill's_Tomato_Game"

Hope this info is useful and get in touch if you have anymore questions.

Cheers, Jason.

Here is the link to all the games Bill Pullan is credited for in HOL:
http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_artist=517