English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 February 2014, 19:51   #61
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
so how do you assign a adf file to a number on the display?
The dos version creates from what I understand small partitions or directorys? How does it work on the amiga site?
Old 16 February 2014, 19:58   #62
Higgy

Don't worry about the small partitions etc.
That is where H.M has worked magic. Just format and use as normal USB stick.
Drop and drop .ADF to the stick using windows.
The BOOT program (SELECTOR.ADF) loads and you assign the ADF to the SLOTS 001,002 etc. After assigning you SAVE and REBOOT. Then just select what SLOT has what ADF on.
Simples!
Old 16 February 2014, 20:00   #63
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Don't worry about the small partitions etc.
That is where H.M has worked magic. Just format and use as normal USB stick.
Drop and drop .ADF to the stick using windows.
The BOOT program (SELECTOR.ADF) loads and you assign the ADF to the SLOTS 001,002 etc. After assigning you SAVE and REBOOT. Then just select what SLOT has what ADF on.
Simples!
Does the saving survive a cold boot ( ie keep their previous slot assignment ?

is there/can there be a config file tht will always assign a defaut adf. For example when i test my boards i always boot 3.1 WB floppy so it would be nice to just turn on the Amiga and have it auto boot that (unless i press button etc)
Old 16 February 2014, 20:55   #64
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
Does the saving survive a cold boot ( ie keep their previous slot assignment ?

is there/can there be a config file tht will always assign a defaut adf. For example when i test my boards i always boot 3.1 WB floppy so it would be nice to just turn on the Amiga and have it auto boot that (unless i press button etc)
It remembers. I just turned Amiga on after having dinner and it autobooted Alien 3 which is on slot 1. So it seems the driver remembers what slot you left it on.
Also I imagine that the firmware tries auto booting Selector.adf from SLOT 000. So I cannot see why you could not rename workbench.adf to selector.adf.
But you probably don't need to do it as it remembers the last slot (and what is on the other allocated slots).
Old 16 February 2014, 21:00   #65
kipper2k

Quote:
It remembers. I just turned Amiga on after having dinner and it autobooted Alien 3 which is on slot 1. So it seems the driver remembers what slot you left it on.
Also I imagine that the firmware tries auto booting Selector.adf from SLOT 000. So I cannot see why you could not rename workbench.adf to selector.adf.
But you probably don't need to do it as it remembers the last slot (and what is on the other allocated slots).

Hopefully my Gotek will be here next week, i am fed up of read/write errors on my floppies. would be nice to have an error free R/W loading disks
Old 16 February 2014, 22:31   #66
Mohican

Very nice project ... Well done!
Is there any OS friendly image selecor ? e.g.: simply file requester or anything else ?
Old 16 February 2014, 22:34   #67
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

At the risk of being burned alive as a heretic -

This could easily modified for the AtariST-universe =)
Old 16 February 2014, 22:47   #68
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Very nice project ... Well done!
Is there any OS friendly image selecor ? e.g.: simply file requester or anything else ?
Watch the YouTube link on the first post, it shows the menu. This boots if SLOT 000 is selected.

Once in Workbench if booted from HD you just press the SLOT selection buttons to go forward back (001 - 002 etc) and it is like swapping a normal disk.
Old 16 February 2014, 22:57   #69
H.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
At the risk of being burned alive as a heretic -

This could easily modified for the AtariST-universe =)
Let me some days and this will be done.
The ST version is in progress.
Old 16 February 2014, 23:14   #70
Mohican

Quote:
Watch the YouTube link on the first post, it shows the menu. This boots if SLOT 000 is selected.

Once in Workbench if booted from HD you just press the SLOT selection buttons to go forward back (001 - 002 etc) and it is like swapping a normal disk.
Ok, I have seen this video and I used a Lotharek HxC SD as DF1, but (IMHO) it will be more comfortable if I can select an image from directoy tree directly (with file req) than I can use forward and back.
Old 16 February 2014, 23:30   #71
Higgy

I agree it would be better. But I would rather save money and use this GOTEK option with a few button presses. Remember this is being developed for free. With the drive and serial programmer I have spent less than 23 euros on this.
Have you checked out the Raspberry Pi floppy emulator in Hardware Support thread? There is talk of potentially using a separate display off the Pi.
Old 16 February 2014, 23:39   #72
H.M

BTW A workbench version of the software is something possible...
And replacing the gotek display by some I2C 16*2 or more lcd screen is doable too . These I2C screen can be found for some $ on ebay.
Old 16 February 2014, 23:44   #73
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M View Post
And replacing the gotek display by some I2C 16*2 or more lcd screen is doable too . These I2C screen can be found for some $ on ebay.
Awesome!!!
Old 17 February 2014, 09:49   #74
mikele

I'm lucky to put HxC's order on hold, I don't mind not having directory tree etc. considering the Gotek is 4 times cheaper. Way to go H.M and Gotek!
Old 17 February 2014, 17:54   #75
Mohican

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.M View Post
Hmm .. and can I watch full HD movies on this screen from adf? It would be better than OS friendly selector
Old 17 February 2014, 23:26   #76
Higgy

Here are some pics of GOTEK installation in A1200. In the end I could not be bothered to desolder components and have make another extension PCB. I want to use the damn thing!

Old 17 February 2014, 23:49   #77
kipper2k

looks good, just need a low profile USB stick and you're all set
Old 18 February 2014, 09:35   #78
Turran

Got my first one yesterday (ordered 6. Hehe).

Had some problems getting the PL2303HX working in windows. Just comes up with a yellow exclamation mark.

Then I read that it can be problems with windows 8.1. So I got it working with these two:

http://barenzengineering.com/Downloa..._%20Driver.exe
http://www.microcentertech.com/tech_...OW5006661B.htm

After that, I had to configure the device (COM3) in device manager to fit the settings in the program.
Could not get it detected using VCC and GND from the USB adapter. Once I plugged a floppy power connector from an ATX, all was fine =)

Tested it in an A1200 with Blizzard IV 1230 with no problems. Well, only problem was that the menus in SELECTOR is a bit to fast. Have to really just tap the keys or you send 3-4 commands at once.

Could not close the case without modifications in the A1200 or A500 (tested that one too). Going to try in a A4000 now.

Edit: Yes, A4000 works fine as well =)
Only strange thing is... on all machines I've tested, if I mount a non-bootable disk, the screen just stays black, even through I have a HD. Normally, the machine would go "ok, never mind" and keep booting from the HD. If no other boot device exists, show kickstart screen.
This makes it a bit cumbersome when you play a multi floppy game. You boot with 001. Switch to 002 to insert disk 2. Then you shut the machine down. Now, when you boot up again, it will try and boot from 002, giving only a black screen. You then have to switch to 001 and reboot.

Another nice feature would be if the filename scrolled so you can see the whole thing. Right now, if the filename is too long (TOSEC), you have no idea which disk you are mounting.

Other then a few minor things, I'd say great work H.M =) Big thanks.

Last edited by Turran; 18 February 2014 at 09:49.
Old 18 February 2014, 10:23   #79
Higgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post

Tested it in an A1200 with Blizzard IV 1230 with no problems. Well, only problem was that the menus in SELECTOR is a bit to fast. Have to really just tap the keys or you send 3-4 commands at once.
It is pretty fast on A1200 with 4mb memory.
I thought it might slow down with 100's of ADF's on (I only had 5), so I thought I would not mention it. But yes, it might be nice to have a slight tweek in SELECTOR to have MENU as same speed as stock A500/A600.
Old 18 February 2014, 17:47   #80
bubbob42

I sucessfully flashed the Gotek and the selector.adf boots fine.

However, "save & reset" gives me a "write failed" every time, so I'm stuck with slot 000.

Anything I'm doing wrong here? I tried both USB sticks and MemoryCards (2/8 GB, Fat32, 4096 bytes cluster size)