English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 April 2005, 17:07   #1
Tommy K

8 player gaming

I have got my 1200 and am hoping to install my HD for it in the next couple of days because I am wanting to play Blitz Bombers. However I see that it is supposed to be a 1-8 player game. How is this possible? I have got the demo of Blitz Bombers for my 500 and a adapter so that I can up to 5 player, but how is up to 8 player gaming possible on my 1200?
Old 13 April 2005, 17:51   #2
kriz

possibly two on the keyboard aswell ?
Old 13 April 2005, 18:00   #3
darkwave

IIRC 8 players is supported by using two connected amigas.
Probably only supports a serial connection but don't quote me on that.
Old 14 April 2005, 13:58   #4
Tommy K

Well I have seen something on another site that says you can play with up to 8 players on one Amiga or with 16 players if you link two Amigas up!!! To be honest 5 players is enough for me and my mates, but how can you have 8 on one Amiga? Unless there are 4 of you on the keys, which I cant see and would make things seriously crowded I just don’t know how you can do it.
Old 14 April 2005, 14:49   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

There is a game, that one can (in theory - i never had so much people in my amiga room ) play with 15 friends (so that's one + 15 = 16 people ) on one single Amy... guess what is that game
Old 14 April 2005, 15:08   #6
Tommy K

Must be a turn based game, something like Chaos?
Old 14 April 2005, 15:11   #7
Shoonay
Global Caturator

More like "Worms"
Old 14 April 2005, 15:22   #8
Tommy K

Ah, of course. Should have thought of it really as me and my mates spent a bit of time on that in years gone by.
Old 14 April 2005, 15:24   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yeah, those were the days... i've enjoyed the original version with just my bro, but then when everyone got the pirated one i've played with 3 more people

BRW: What's Chaos
Old 14 April 2005, 17:08   #10
Tommy K

Chaos is a prototype of a game which I believe was called Ultimate Chaos (although my memory is shot to hell, so could have this wrong) for the Spectrum. Anyway the prototype was better than the actual game.

It was a turn based strategy/spell casting/wizard/sorcery kind of game. I believe it was made by the same people who made Laser Squad, which was available for the Spectrum and the Amiga. Anyhow, on Chaos you can have up to 8 wizards, and you all have a turn to cast a spell which range from creations such as dragons and vampires, walls to build a base, castles to hide your wizard in so he is safe, lighting bolts to hit the enemy wizards or creations (providing they are in range), magic swords to make your wizards attacking strength better, some sort of movement spell so that you can move your wizard further etc. Anyway, not all spells are guaranteed to work – they are all different colours when displayed on your list (which is random and changes every game – your can only cast each spell once per game) and the lighter the colour the more likely they are to work. The two spells are split between neutral – which are just as likely to work at any time, Chaos, and Law. As you go through the game there is a gage shows whether the current environment/cosmos is leaning towards Law or Chaos. The more Law spells the players cast the more the gage swings towards Law, the more Chaos spells you cast the more it goes towards Chaos. If for example the gage swings towards Chaos in a big way then all of your Chaos spells become more likely to work. So for example a Vampire (which is a very good creation) will start off (when the gage is neutral) as a dark red colour which may only have a 20% chance of working. But as the gage swings towards Chaos the Vampire spell may become light blue which has say a 70% chance of working.

Anyhow, once all the wizards have had turn of casting their chosen spell, you all then take a turn to move your wizard and any creations that you have around the screen, attacking the enemy where possible or making a defensive wall to protect your wizard. Some creations can move further than others, some can attack from long range (such as the flying creations).

Once you have all moved your characters, you all cast a spell again and continue as before. The aim of the game is to be the last wizard standing. If your wizard is killed then the rest of your creations also die and it is game over for you.

I haven’t yet played Chaos on the Amiga but have seen a site somewhere that has lots of different versions for the Amiga with additional spells etc. I intend to download it in the next few weeks. Sorry my explanation is a bit rambling and hard to understand but the principles of the game are pretty simple once you get into it and it is a top game. You should try playing it through a Spectrum Emulator and see what you think. It really is a top game and as far as I know the only one on the Spectrum that you can have 8 players on. You can also play 1 player against up to 7 computer wizards. The graphics are rubbish but the gameplay is just tops. Give it a go.
Old 14 April 2005, 17:21   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Sounds cool, Tommy K!

...any links for a poor, out-of-time lazy bastard
Old 14 April 2005, 17:32   #12
Tommy K

Give this a try for the Amiga version. Just scroll down the page. It is a German site but hey what can you do? I would recommend that you give the Speccy version a try through the emulator if you don’t like this game as it may be that the original was better. In the prototype version the playing screen was simply on 1 screen with no scrolling, like bomberman. The full version was designed to be a bigger playing field but didn’t work as well in my opinion. As far as I am aware, this version (Total Chaos) is in keeping with the prototype version (just 1 screen). Anyhow I am rambling again so give it a try.

There is another game further up the page called ChaosHeavy, I have no idea if this is part of the same game/family.

http://www.amigafuture.de/download/download.php
Old 14 April 2005, 17:36   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Thanks, will check that
Old 14 April 2005, 17:37   #14
Tommy K

This may be the better option. I didn’t realise that the game had its own site – looks like it has a big following but I cant access the site due to restrictions on my works internet.

http://totalchaos-aga.sytes.net/
Old 14 April 2005, 17:44   #15
Tommy K

Right things are a little clearer in my mind now:

The original (prototype) for the Speccy was called Chaos, which was fantastic.

The full version for the Speccy was called Lords of Chaos, which in my opinion was rubbish.

The version for the Amiga is called Total Chaos, which I haven’t played.

Hope that helps.
Old 14 April 2005, 18:25   #16
Tommy K

Have a look on here as well mate. There is a bit more info http://www.angusm.demon.co.uk/AGDB/DBM1/TotChao.html
Old 14 April 2005, 21:20   #17
Peanutuk

sounds a bit like http://hol.abime.net/914
Old 01 July 2005, 15:57   #18
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy K
In the prototype version the playing screen was simply on 1 screen with no scrolling, like bomberman. The full version was designed to be a bigger playing field but didn’t work as well in my opinion. As far as I am aware, this version (Total Chaos) is in keeping with the prototype version (just 1 screen).
Yes Total Chaos AGA keeps the entire battlefield on 1 screen which was a brilliant design decision IMHO as it allows one to focus on the strategy and tactics without mucking about continuously scrolling the screen around.

Also the coder made some SPLENDIDLY fantastic improvements to the gameplay... so much so that the Amiga Chaos is infinitely better playable and replayable than speccy chaos ever was.

Quote:
There is another game further up the page called ChaosHeavy, I have no idea if this is part of the same game/family.

http://www.amigafuture.de/download/download.php
ChaosHeavy is the oldskool 1980's 64 color version of Amiga Chaos. Forget that version. You want to dl TotalChaosAGA.lha which is the 1990s AGA 256 color version. AFAIK it is still being developed today.

Here is an English fansite for the game with infos and screenshots and so on.

Its a great game and I love it.
A true Amiga Classic!
Old 01 July 2005, 16:12   #19
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

Quote:
This may be the better option. I didn’t realise that the game had its own site – looks like it has a big following but I cant access the site due to restrictions on my works internet.
If you can't reach that one you can try
http://xavprods.free.fr/chaos/index.html
or

There are some user reviews here:
User Reviews of Total Chaos AGA

It should be noted that this is a turn-based strategy game so actionfreeks need not apply