English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 October 2012, 13:53   #81
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

The AIAB packs themselves contain unique content.

The few whdload installs that were on the site aren't exactly difficult to get elsewhere...
Old 03 October 2012, 14:09   #82
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

All i need is Whdload 17 as currently it's at 15. My whdload key and games atleast most of them use 16/17

Is it possible to manually put Whdload 17 into this pack?, i have done the copy over but that didn't work as it breaks whdload.
Old 03 October 2012, 14:26   #83
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
All i need is Whdload 17 as currently it's at 15. My whdload key and games atleast most of them use 16/17

Is it possible to manually put Whdload 17 into this pack?, i have done the copy over but that didn't work as it breaks whdload.
yep, just manually copy over whdload files overwriting old ones.
I have never had it not work before. what errors do you get?
Old 03 October 2012, 16:17   #84
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Could you possibly run that file (if it's an executable), or unpack it (if it's an archive) and let us know which version it is, please, mate? We're still missing AIAB-r5a from that era.
AIAB Release Notes (version 2000r8)

I guess it isn't needed.
Old 03 October 2012, 17:56   #85
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@ptyerman
Cheers for the files.

@killergorilla
Thanks for the clarification. True, but where possible I'd like to keep things legal.

Quote:
The AIAB packs themselves contain unique content.
That little statement has sparked an idea. That being installable game patches, whereby after installing the game you run it's AIAB gamepack installer for that game. That would remove any legal issues. Could do it for any Back to the Roots game then. Would need artists though for game Icons. See Jaybees icons, attached, very nice.

Very rough idea for further investigation down the line.

@Akira
Thanks for checking the file, yes we've got that one.

to all you guys for your contributions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gameicons.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	32772  
Old 03 October 2012, 18:52   #86
MethodGit

That iconset reminds me - there are a few files by Jaybee on Aminet if you wish to include those as well...
Old 03 October 2012, 19:17   #87
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

These are the only files I found on aminet

GameNIcons-pre.jpg - Jaybee's home-made NewIcons for HD-installed games [PREVIEW] - (readme)
GameNIcons.lha - Jaybee's home-made NewIcons for HD-installed games - (readme)
GameNIcons2-pr.jpg - More of Jaybee's NewIcons for HD-Installed games [PREVIEW] - (readme)
GameNIcons2.lha - More of Jaybee's NewIcons for HD-Installed games - (readme)
AIAB-Grab.jpg - Latest 'AmigaInABox' grab [WinUAE] - What OS3.5 should have been? - (readme)

If there are others please point me in the right direction. Cheers
Old 03 October 2012, 21:20   #88
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi MadAngus,

I have uploaded MacAIAB r10c to The Zone for you.
Old 03 October 2012, 23:41   #89
MagikGimp

Send a message via ICQ to MagikGimp Send a message via AIM to MagikGimp Send a message via MSN to MagikGimp Send a message via Yahoo to MagikGimp
Don't forget that some of the WHDLoad installs are going to contain corrupt files making games impossible to complete. I agree, JayBee's icons are lovely but unfortunately were replaced by future installs. I should clarify that I'm referring to Killer Gorilla's packs and this FTP server (which have the latest distributions) in case people aren't aware. Don't know about the legality of these, don't care but that's not my issue!
Installing the latest WHDLoad is a simple case of running the installer over the files already there. If I remember correctly AiaB doesn't have a Help drawer in the system drive so you may want to put a nicer icon in that one.
Lastly, a note on those pre-installs- you should always uncompress them in the AiaB environment although you can probably get away with any that have been zipped (.zip). The LHA archives will not extract correctly (the files contained within must be "LHA'ed" to maintain their original structures) outside an Amiga environment; this was discovered fairly recently in regards to these certain games. Just extract to the RAM disc and drag-copy over to the games drawer, at least that's what I do.
Old 04 October 2012, 00:11   #90
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagikGimp View Post
Lastly, a note on those pre-installs- you should always uncompress them in the AiaB environment although you can probably get away with any that have been zipped (.zip). The LHA archives will not extract correctly (the files contained within must be "LHA'ed" to maintain their original structures) outside an Amiga environment; this was discovered fairly recently in regards to these certain games. Just extract to the RAM disc and drag-copy over to the games drawer, at least that's what I do.
Oooh! I recently had a discussion about this matter with Retro-Nerd 'cause I said to make what you say: unpack them in the miggy (environment).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Only app. 5% of the games get problems if you unpack them in Windows.

Last edited by Retrofan; 04 October 2012 at 20:00.
Old 04 October 2012, 03:16   #91
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@prowler
Cheers, lovely work.

@MagikGimp and All
I will have a discussion with FOL and see where he wants to go with the gamepacks.

The site work is nearly complete, will definitely have the fixed site uploaded by this weekend. This does not include permissions though.
Old 04 October 2012, 11:17   #92
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@Mod
If Bloodwych has no objections could this thread be renamed to "AIAB (Amiga in a Box) project.

I'll pm Bloodwych now.

That's the website all fixed and ready to be uploaded, so folks if you see a maintenance page that's me working on it. Will probably take a few hours when this happens so be please patient.
Old 04 October 2012, 11:50   #93
MagikGimp

Send a message via ICQ to MagikGimp Send a message via AIM to MagikGimp Send a message via MSN to MagikGimp Send a message via Yahoo to MagikGimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Oooh! I recently had a discussion about this matter with Retro-Nerd 'cause I said to make what you say: unpack them in the miggy.
Retro-nerd is right but why take the risk? As I say, .zips are fine but all LHAs were done like that for a reason.

As far as unique content goes, I'm not so sure other than his wonderful icons. The downloads I linked to come with manuals and such too. Personally I use a Games draw for all of my Workbenches that I can mount with WinUAE and leave the AiaB packs on their own, it's not like HDD space is a premium any more. One thing I will say is that I can't get IK+'s graphics to look right whatever I do. If anyone has any tips on that one I'd be very grateful to hear them.
Old 04 October 2012, 14:55   #94
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAngus View Post
@MagikGimp and All
I will have a discussion with FOL.
I should be on UA IRC Channel tonight.
Old 04 October 2012, 21:58   #95
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@Mod
If Bloodwych has no objections could this thread be renamed to "AIAB (Amiga in a Box) project.

I'll pm Bloodwych now.
Let me know the outcome, and I'll rename it if required.

Edit: I've found I have AIAB-r10d final version full and update archives dated 22-MAY-2005, but they are missing the appropriate readme file. I do have a separate copy of the correct readme file, and I will upload them for you when I have fixed them.

Last edited by prowler; 04 October 2012 at 22:04.
Old 04 October 2012, 22:13   #96
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@prowler
Bloodwych is OK with the name change.

r10d final would be great, cherry on the cake as far as that version goes.
Old 04 October 2012, 22:44   #97
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@prowler
Bloodwych is OK with the name change.
Done!

Quote:
r10d final would be great, cherry on the cake as far as that version goes.
There were actually three versions of AIAB-r10d. There were [WIP], [WIP2] and final versions dated 09-OCT-2002, 15-FEB-2003 and 22-MAY-2005, respectively, and I have all of them.

The one you have available for download on the site is actually the [WIP2] version.

There were also two versions of AIAB-r10b, and again the version you have is the second.

Edit: The AIAB-r10b.zip archive I uploaded to The Zone is in fact the first version, and I also have the corresponding AIAB-r10b.exe installer and AIAB-r10b-update.zip archive. Unfortunately, I don't have an original AIAB-r10b.zip of the second version.

Last edited by prowler; 04 October 2012 at 22:52.
Old 04 October 2012, 23:41   #98
PeterK

I did not really follow the discussions here, but just in case it could be useful, I uploaded aiab_r10c.rar and r10d-update-wip.zip to the zone. Ignore it, if you already have these versions.
Old 05 October 2012, 01:54   #99
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@PeterK
I've got them, thanks all the same.

@prowler
so my R10b second version is the final version dated 3/11/01

These are the files on r10b I have all are 3/11/01
aiab-r10b.zip
aiab-readme.txt
aiab.exe
r10b-update.txt
r10b-update.zip

Except MacAIAB.sit don't know what date that is, will need to get an expander and check.

Done confirmed MacAIAB.sit version is r10b and Date is 26/09/01.

@All
FOL has tested the r10.6 install on real Amiga hardware and got it working.
See this thread for details on the file edits need to make it work.

ptyerman uploaded r10.6 (20071213-aiab-r10.6.zip) to the zone. peterk uploaded a 20071213-aiab-r10.6.7z file if you prefer that format.

If your going to use AIAB please use the 10.6 version as it will be the basis for future development. Stable or not, it is being classified as stable.

Found a some spanners in the works, so I'm having to do a pile of file checks. So the site might be down for a day or two. I did say the weekend somewhere so you can count on that.
Old 05 October 2012, 22:07   #100
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
@prowler
so my R10b second version is the final version dated 3/11/01

These are the files on r10b I have all are 3/11/01
aiab-r10b.zip
aiab-readme.txt
aiab.exe
r10b-update.txt
r10b-update.zip

Except MacAIAB.sit don't know what date that is, will need to get an expander and check.

Done confirmed MacAIAB.sit version is r10b and Date is 26/09/01.
Right, thanks. So the two versions of AIAB-r10b are dated 29-JUN-2001 and 03-NOV-2011, and the MacAIAB-r10b.sit file is the earlier version, but the Windows installer, zip archives and readme files are the later version.

I was mistaken, then. I had thought the AIAB-r10b.zip file I uploaded was the earlier version, but in fact it's the later.

I successfully prepared an AIAB-r10d.zip file for uploading earlier this evening but, when I extracted it, I found that the 'Update.txt' readme file I had included is in Amiga format (no carriage returns) when I should be in Windows format. I will put this right and upload it tomorrow. (It's not a simple matter; I'm actually patching the compressed archive with a binary file editor to avoid touching anything else in order to make it as close as possible to the file Jaybee had originally intended to upload with the correct readme file.)

I really don't think it's worth preserving the earlier version of AIAB-r10b, unless you wish to include it for the benefit of 'completists', in which case I will upload that too

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I found these on my HDD:

aiab-apps1.zip
aiab-internet1.zip
aiab-internet2.zip
r10-update.zip

Any use?
Yes indeed, please upload those, Barry.

Last edited by prowler; 05 October 2012 at 23:40.