English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 November 2018, 16:54   #1
Foebane
Banned

Possible to run WHDLoad games as Read-only?

I'm thinking about trying to run WHDLoad games (in .lha archives from Retroplay) as bootable read-only archives in WinUAE, but some of these games require the saving of high-score tables or other info into the folder, but of course, WinUAE doesn't allow the alteration of such archives.

So how can I get WHDLoad to redirect or prevent the writing of such info. Or is there an alternative?
Old 08 November 2018, 17:26   #2
daxb

Try this: http://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#SavePath for redirect saves.
PreloadSize is written to program icon when started from WB. So don't start from WB.
Old 08 November 2018, 18:18   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

But then you have to edit all the Tooltypes, then unpack and reassemble all the archives
Old 08 November 2018, 18:29   #4
Foebane
Banned

This is only speculation at this time, I've got a system that uses a modified ClassicWB Lite HDF with the games already installed and set up, but I was thinking about by-passing the mass install altogether.

Last edited by Foebane; 08 November 2018 at 18:39.
Old 08 November 2018, 18:37   #5
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
But then you have to edit all the Tooltypes, then unpack and reassemble all the archives
That is not needed. SavePath can be set global (whdload.prefs).
Old 08 November 2018, 18:40   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok, but I do not think it's a good idea to use archives
Old 08 November 2018, 18:42   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Try this: http://whdload.de/docs/en/opt.html#SavePath for redirect saves.
PreloadSize is written to program icon when started from WB. So don't start from WB.
1. How do I avoid WB altogether? Put the .lha archive as the only boot option?
2. Where do I modify this global WHDLoad variable?
3. How can I run a game from the Shell?

Quote:
Ok, but I do not think it's a good idea to use archives
I could extract each .lha into its own tiny .hdf file and boot that, then I wouldn't have the read/write issues.

Looks like I've got some experimenting to do... Fun times. Honestly.

Last edited by lilalurl; 08 November 2018 at 22:59.
Old 08 November 2018, 19:16   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

It would not be better to put all the WHDLoad games on one, two or three HDFs arranged by theme
Old 08 November 2018, 19:40   #9
daxb

Usually WB start means double klick on program icon. Just start it from command line to avoid WB start. E.g. "whdload mygame.save preload". See whdload docs for more info.

s:whdload.prefs is the file for global settings. Open it with an text editor

But it seems your are on the wrong way like AMIGASYSTEM said already.
Old 08 November 2018, 19:43   #10
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
It would not be better to put all the WHDLoad games on one, two or three HDFs arranged by theme

If I could take a whole bunch of small .hdfs, equal to the number of games, and extract each game fresh onto each one, then there would be a unique configuration for each one and I could bypass the mass extract onto the ClassicWB .hdf.

I'd say each .hdf would be 6Mb at most, or make them different sizes to accommodate each game (2Mb, 4Mb, 6Mb).

But I do need to know how to properly run the WHDLoad games from the Shell: I tried "WHDLoad Vaxine.Slave" for one game and it ran, but I don't know if it took account of the WHDLoad variables in the icon information. I have used IconLoad on the icons themselves when in DOpus, so what is my best bet?
Old 08 November 2018, 19:56   #11
daxb

If you start a game from command line then of course the icon and its information are ignored. That was your goal if I understand you right. You can use "WBRun whdload mygame.slave" to simulate the double klick on game icon (WB start). AmigaOS unfortunately distinguish between WB start and CLI start.
Old 08 November 2018, 20:16   #12
Foebane
Banned

Yeah, I just tried to create a test .hdf with it's own configuration and "launch" archive (which have worked fine for the read-only demos), but it really is a lot of hassle, especially having to extract each game to its own .hdf, when ClassicWB has a custom folder for games, complete with tools to build lists for the GamesMenu launcher.

Also, normally, the ClassicWB .hdf on a fresh install is mostly empty in a 200Mb uncompressed file - by extracting lots of game data into it, it helps to fill it up and make proper use of this space, and the games are runnable from scratch.

I'm probably giving up too easily, but I just thought I'd investigate the option. But if bootable read-only WHDLoad archives are impractical, and I can't even use CLI start for the games, AND the games are already running perfectly fine on my current system, then what's the point?

If I was in the middle of a big game like Cannon Fodder, I could always back up the ClassicWB .hdf itself, so I wouldn't lose my progress. Or back it up some other way.

Thanks anyway, AmigaSystem and Daxb, for your assistance and generous advice.
Old 08 November 2018, 20:21   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
Also, normally, the ClassicWB .hdf on a fresh install is mostly empty in a 200Mb uncompressed file - by extracting lots of game data into it, it helps to fill it up and make proper use of this space, and the games are runnable from scratch.
Create a new 6/8 Giga HardFile and transfer everything ClassicWB, in this way you will have all the space you want
Old 08 November 2018, 20:30   #14
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Create a new 6/8 Giga HardFile and transfer everything ClassicWB, in this way you will have all the space you want
I heard that Workbench 3.1 balks at more than 2Gb in a hardfile.
Old 08 November 2018, 21:16   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

If you use a modern Filesystem (SFS/PFS) you do not have this limit.
Old 08 November 2018, 22:00   #16
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
If you use a modern Filesystem (SFS/PFS) you do not have this limit.
200Mb is plenty for me, as there's not that many Amiga games I like. In fact, I think I'm being generous with the 60 games I've already installed. However, I have 600 demos as well, and I've always preferred the latter anyway.
Old 29 January 2019, 18:14   #17
Foebane
Banned

BUMP

I've just discovered that with a System.hdf (ClassicWB) and using archives as read-only on WinUAE, that I CAN, in most cases, run some games (and certainly demos) direct from the archive and not have to extract (install) them first. A lot of these WHDLoad archives don't seem to need writing to, except the ones that store high scores, but even then no error messages occur, it just seems to ignore them and not save them.

I have a config attached to each WHDLoad archive, with each one asking if I want to install the game yes/no, but it seems I might be saying no more and more now.