English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 December 2016, 19:42   #1
Starglider 2

What's the best USB Floppy Emulator Drive these days?

Hi all, I've seen several different type of USB floppy emulators on eBay. Gotek, HxC, etc. Then I see people saying the firmware on Gotek is bad, but you can burn HxC firmware, but you have to buy it, and get a serial programmer, etc.

What a mess! I don't want to get the wrong thing.

What is the BEST USB floppy emulator drive right now for:

- Amiga 500
- Mounted externally not internally
- Connected to DF0: through back of case or with a switch
Old 20 December 2016, 20:35   #2
Sinphaltimus

I have 2 GoTek drives. One for Amiga currently with Cortex firmware that I am going to change to HxC. And one for my TI-99/4a with HxC firmware. I enjoy them both. Fir an extra $15 I did the lcd display mod. I went with GoTek for the price.

I know folks with Lethorak drives. Lcd built in. Emulates up to 3 drives in a single unit, much more expensive. Can't say anything else about those.I'm
Old 20 December 2016, 20:36   #3
Starglider 2

So can you buy a drive already with the best HxC firmware in it?

Thanks!!
Old 21 December 2016, 04:24   #4
Marchie

I have a Gotek in an A1200, haven't used it much yet, but I have no big complaints.

What are the advantages to the firmware upgrades? (or what are the problems people have with the standard Gotek firmware?)
Old 21 December 2016, 04:54   #5
puppypc

Yes, when I was shopping for one I saw plenty of Gotek drives on eBay selling for $40~ that had licensed HxC firmware installed (compared to $30~ for ones with the free firmware). I don't exactly know the difference between the two firmwares on a Gotek hardware, but it's not much of a price difference in Amigaland.

As for the "best", if price isn't an issue then it would be the SD-card HxC that Lotharek makes, because it is generally more compatible. He also makes a USB version, but I'm pretty sure that it only can emulate one drive instead of two.
I don't know it for a fact, but all the commentary online indicates that an Amiga 1000 will NOT boot from a Gotek drive, and you need an HxC, which is why I own one (I use an A1000, which will not run without a kickstart floppy in df0)

Since that issue doesn't apply to the A500, I'd say you should go ahead and get the Gotek with HxC firmware: you can always reflash it with the Gotek firmware, and see which works best for you.

Edit: the USB version of the HxC (that is, Lotharek's hardware and not a Gotek flashed with HxC firmware) is read only, and has to be connected to an actual PC for the images, instead of plugging a thumb-drive into it.

Last edited by puppypc; 21 December 2016 at 05:00.
Old 21 December 2016, 05:15   #6
Starglider 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypc View Post
Yes, when I was shopping for one I saw plenty of Gotek drives on eBay selling for $40~ that had licensed HxC firmware installed (compared to $30~ for ones with the free firmware). I don't exactly know the difference between the two firmwares on a Gotek hardware, but it's not much of a price difference in Amigaland.

As for the "best", if price isn't an issue then it would be the SD-card HxC that Lotharek makes, because it is generally more compatible. He also makes a USB version, but I'm pretty sure that it only can emulate one drive instead of two.
I don't know it for a fact, but all the commentary online indicates that an Amiga 1000 will NOT boot from a Gotek drive, and you need an HxC, which is why I own one (I use an A1000, which will not run without a kickstart floppy in df0)

Since that issue doesn't apply to the A500, I'd say you should go ahead and get the Gotek with HxC firmware: you can always reflash it with the Gotek firmware, and see which works best for you.

Edit: the USB version of the HxC (that is, Lotharek's hardware and not a Gotek flashed with HxC firmware) is read only, and has to be connected to an actual PC for the images, instead of plugging a thumb-drive into it.
Great explanation!

Thanks!!
Old 21 December 2016, 07:05   #7
McTrinsic

I have a HxC and wouldnt swap it for a Gotek.

The display is priceless .

Cheers,
McT
Old 21 December 2016, 07:12   #8
Starglider 2

Edit: Thanks guys, I've ordered a Gotek with HxC firmware on board (and a free 8GB USB stick) and am very excited! Now I just need a switch...

Last edited by Starglider 2; 21 December 2016 at 20:35.
Old 27 January 2017, 02:48   #9
walterg74

Quote:

That' not entirely correct... if it's your only amiga, sure. But if you have another Amiga (or a friend with one) you can simply configure it with a Kickstart disk assigned to one of the slots and the Amiga 1000 will boot just fine off it...

Quote:

Where did you hear that? The images loading is exactly the same... stilk uses a usb drive which is what you connect to the PC, not the drive!

Old 27 January 2017, 02:52   #10
puppypc

I don't own one, I'm just quoting his website. http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=113 and http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=118 both read:

Quote:
Additional info :
- USB Emulator need PC with free USB port to act as file feeder
- It is READ ONLY
so if I'm wrong then Lotharek desperately needs to update his store.