English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 06 April 2020, 12:59   #1
Scorcha

Help to unpack all archives included in tosec collection!

I'm faced with a dilemma that is holding me back from setting up my pc with a workable Amiga emulation setup. This is caused by the fact that the tosec collection I've downloaded is full of zips. Neither my Mac or pc seen to be able to comfortably batch process them because there are literally thousands of them (possibly 90,000 or more)

So my question is: is there any software out there that will solve my problem or what command line or power shell command do i execute to process all these archives please?

If it's a command line then I want to point it at the main folder of the collection, get it to search through for all zips in all subfolders, unpack all files in each zip into a folder with the name of the zip (because i found some random zips contained badly named adf files at times) and then, after definite, full successful extraction, i want the zips trashed (into recycle bin rather than fully erased, just in case). If an archive can't be fully extracted then i need the command to not trash the zip.

I could do with an amended command that will process rars too. And i could do with someone explaining what the sections of the command line are doing and advise how to adapt the command line to other operations of the same nature (ie; archives but at a different locations).

It seems like a big ask in a way but I'm guessing someone would have had the sense to have already wrote a command\script already for this as it faces all of us that download an Amiga collection...?

Thanks in advance guys

Ste

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 06 April 2020, 13:15   #2
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hi Scorcha,

Please turn off signatures in tapatalk.

On to your question. Can I ask why? Amiga emulators will work wirh zips
Old 06 April 2020, 13:18   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
I would say not advisable though i.e. if the game needs to write to disk e.g. saving options or high scores.

...but that will not be too many games TBH.

Anyway, personally all my .ADFs are not zipped or write-protected.
Old 06 April 2020, 13:18   #4
chip

Hi Ste

It's strange what you report

I personally use 7 zip to unzip the archives

Simply go to the folder with the zip, select ALL the file and click right mouse button

Then choose "extract here" (this should be the english translation) command

I made this under Windows 7 with the previous notebook and no problem at all

Regards, chip
Old 06 April 2020, 13:24   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I would say not advisable though i.e. if the game needs to write to disk e.g. saving options or high scores.

...but that will not be too many games TBH.

Anyway, personally all my .ADFs are not zipped or write-protected.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't winuae create a seperate save file if an image is write protected?
Old 06 April 2020, 14:13   #6
DamienD
Banned

Maybe, but no idea where it gets stored.
Old 06 April 2020, 14:24   #7
dreadnought

As chip says, try to use 7zip or winrar. I personally mostly use Total Commander with plug ins, and routinely pack/unpack large quantities of various formats.

It's true that a large Tosec zip can be an overkill for your system depending on your memory/processor. Even so, it should work, just maybe sometimes it'll mull over it for a few minutes.

The largest zip in the latest Amiga Tosec I have is 14GB (adf) and has ~30K archives. You can also try to extract them in chunks if your system can't handle that.
Old 07 April 2020, 03:00   #8
Scorcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippyM View Post
Hi Scorcha,

Please turn off signatures in tapatalk.

Oh wow! Winuae works with zipsnm a lot has changed since i used it years ago. Good to know. Although i would prefer to have all unpacked to be honest. And i did try 7zip but it didn't do anything. And if rather not have to fart about for hours doing batches of zips. That's why i thought a command would be able to be left processing them.

I'll have another go with 7zip.

I did find an almost perfect command on superuser.com but couldn't figure out how to adapt it to my locations. If i find it I'll post it for anyone to examine if they are curious and\or can amend it....?
Old 07 April 2020, 10:26   #9
dreadnought

I'm not really sure what difference a "command" would make here. After all, 7zip or winrar are just GUIs for internal commands, and they work just fine for most people. If you are struggling with unpacking this TOSEC then I guess the real problem is with something in your setup - OS, hardware, maybe even corrupt archive.