English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 May 2019, 17:16   #1
simulant

Amiga logo and brand

Hi does anyone know who actually currently owns the Amiga logo trademark and branding?

I have a crowdfunding campaign I'd like to launch but I don't want to infringe any copyrights or trademarks etc. With all the lawsuits, red vs blue, Escom, Amiga Inc. and previous owners and licenses it seems to be a bit of a minefield.

Basically I just want to be able to put the Amiga logo on my product and a small slogan above it saying "Designed for use with Amiga".

I know other products have just gone ahead in the past but I wanted to do things right and ask permission to be able to use the logo and boing! ball possible too.

Thanks for any help if anyone know who I can contact about this
Old 02 May 2019, 17:25   #2
oscillik

Haha!
Old 02 May 2019, 17:27   #3
kolla
Banned

Amiga logo and brand

Which logo?

The boingball has been fought over for soon 20 years, the checkmark/tick has been widely used without any legal fuzz since forever and can be considered public domain at this point.
Old 02 May 2019, 17:34   #4
simulant

Haha I know I'm probably worrying over nothing as everyone seems to just use whatever in the Amiga scene!

All I really wanted to use was the boingball and the slanted Amiga italic writing. Does anyone still own or have that under license?

I don't want to give details of the kick starter just yet as it isn't ready but I also want to give some proceeds to charity too - so they'd be allowing something for a good cause also
Old 02 May 2019, 18:14   #5
oscillik

My haha was because I assumed you meant the boingball and italicised serif typeface… there's like, 200 entities claiming ownership so you're gonna have to rethink!
Old 02 May 2019, 19:11   #6
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulant View Post
All I really wanted to use was the boingball and the slanted Amiga italic writing. Does anyone still own or have that under license?
Yes, please stand in line for the legal battle.
Old 03 May 2019, 11:53   #7
simulant

Hi thanks - surely that would mean all the new Amiga hardware and software etc that has come out in recent years would mostly be breaking copyright or trademark too? Like Armiga, new Amiga Compatible cases, keycaps, books with logo on etc etc?

As I say I preferably want to do it right and get permission first, but how do you do that when no one seems to know who owns anything?
Old 03 May 2019, 12:18   #8
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulant View Post
Hi thanks - surely that would mean all the new Amiga hardware and software etc that has come out in recent years would mostly be breaking copyright or trademark too? Like Armiga, new Amiga Compatible cases, keycaps, books with logo on etc etc?
As far as I know, all these projects got the official blessings.

Quote:
how do you do that when no one seems to know who owns anything
The problem right now, is that too many claim to own everything, so ownership is disputed.
Old 03 May 2019, 12:47   #9
simulant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
As far as I know, all these projects got the official blessings.

The problem right now, is that too many claim to own everything, so ownership is disputed.

If they did get *official* blessings though and now ownerships are disputed that would revoke those blessings. If in court "real" ownerships or authorities over trademarks and such were awarded to different parties then those official blessings wouldn't mean anything in retrospect??

I may be wrong but if anyone could guide me in to who I should contact for an official blessing with the current parties involved that are arguing over rights I'd really appreciate it.
Old 03 May 2019, 13:20   #10
amigang

Cloanto is now largely regarded as the owners of the Amiga brand. So Id ask them
mike@amiga.com
Old 03 May 2019, 13:37   #11
kolla
Banned

Amiga logo and brand

Indeed, I would talk to Cloanto. Hyperion seem incapable of communication.
Old 03 May 2019, 14:06   #12
simulant

Ok great thanks for the help, I've emailed Mike which is hopefully a good start to get some kind of blessing or approval. Thanks again