English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 August 2018, 17:16   #1
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

XSurf 100 and Rapid Road USB ports

I am having a hard time finding accurate info on this - I have an XSurf 100 and I am getting a Rapid Road USB adapter for it. I know it will enable the two USB ports on the XSurf 100, but am I still able to use the USB header on the actual Rapid Road to add two more ports? Or does it disable those ports when it is used on the X Surf?
I use a multi-card reader attached to my current Thylacine Zorro II USB card, and want to continue to use it.
I love my Thylacine card, but it's 350 kbs data transfer is killing me when I transfer video files! The 5-7 Mbs on the Rapid Road will make life easier!
Old 28 August 2018, 20:48   #2
Jope
-

You only get the ports behind the computer.
Old 28 August 2018, 23:36   #3
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

Hmmmmm... So the USB header is disabled. Bummer... I really like to use my internal card reader. Oh well, time to mod an external reader with an external USB header ..
Old 29 August 2018, 08:30   #4
Jope
-

I'm sure you can get a cable that converts an external usb a into an internal pin header, if you don't want to solder the wires to your x-surf.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50cm-USB-2-...sAAOSwa4FZr7fg and some pin strip..
Old 29 August 2018, 12:17   #5
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I'm sure you can get a cable that converts an external usb a into an internal pin header, if you don't want to solder the wires to your x-surf.
Yeah, I have one of these cables from when I toyed about with an internal card reader for my 1200 tower, you get one that has two USB-A plugs and gives you a standard motherboard header on the other end. Simplifies things no end and lets you feed all the USB to the front of the case.
Old 29 August 2018, 15:09   #6
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50cm-USB-2-...sAAOSwa4FZr7fg and some pin strip..
Yes!That is what I will need! Thanks my friend! And the second USB port will just go to a nice, fast hub! I appreciate that link.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:41   #7
McTrinsic

Afaik the internal one still work. You just can't use internal and external at the same time.
Old 30 August 2018, 09:49   #8
Jope
-

I guess it's time to beep them out with a multimeter. :-)
Old 30 August 2018, 18:26   #9
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

I will know in a few days when my Rapid Road comes in! I will let you guys know one way or another. I do have a cable that converts USB to the 5 pin IDC motherboard headers on the way, too. So I will be covered either way
Old 01 September 2018, 00:51   #10
SnkBitten
Amithlon Fanatic

I use the internal header connected to a front mounted multi-format USB reader on my A4000T with the X-Surf 100/RapidRoadUSB combo. I believe as stated you can use either the internal header or the external connectors but not both.
Old 05 September 2018, 05:37   #11
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

So I got my RapidRoad today and all my questions are answered. But I don't like the answer.... It is plugged into my x-surf, but if I plug my card reader onto the header,everything goes squirrelly. I plug in a flash drive, it is recognized,then it dies, then It pops up and then dies again.
With the card reader plugged I to the header, the in board USB on the X-surf acts the same way - recognizes and then drops the USB flash drive.
When I unplug the header, the rear USB works fantastic - I can copy files with zero issues.
They must use the same USB channels, and when plugged into the X-surf it must not switch between them. The card read just confused the header and throws it for a loop.
No big deal - I am getting a 10 pin header connected to two USB ports - so I will just plug in my USB hub, connect this cable to that and I will be in business.
This thing is FAST! My Thylacine Zorro 2 USB maxed out at about 384 kbs. My new RapidRoad clocks in an about 5.8 Mbs! That thing is about 2-3 times faster than the onboard IDE on my A4000!
Old 09 September 2018, 06:41   #12
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

For those who are interested (Hopefully everyone) I have posted a video review of my new Rapid Road USB that came in this week. You will find the links in this thread.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=93871