English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 May 2001, 00:05   #1
LaundroMat

Installing amitcp

Hi there,

I've just been trying to set up a system with WinUAE and the "Amiga in a box" tools (which has saved me a lot of time), and ofcourse I'd like to access the internet with my emulated Amiga.

I've downloaded the AmiTCP package from Aminet (v22), but when trying to install it, the install script produced an error. I chose to ignore the error (never a good thing), and then I got an OS error (you know, where all the processor registry data is listed), upon which I had to freeze the Install app.

Has anyone tried to install a fully functional TCP/IP stack? If AmiTCP is no good (which would surprise me), what else is?

tia.
Old 10 May 2001, 00:10   #2
Amiga1992

Hey!

No need to run AmiTCP (and even if you needed to run a stack, AmiTCP would be the last one I'd use).

WinUAE's bsdsocket.library emulation will let you use your PC's internet connection. This means:

- Connect the PC
- Launch WinUAE
- You've got an emulated Amiga with full TCP/IP access

Every network service you have access to with the PC, will be accessible too thru the Amiga.

If you had to install a stack in a real Amiga, I wouldn't even use AmiTCP. I'd use Miami which is fast, friendly and very cool.
Old 10 May 2001, 09:57   #3
LaundroMat

Didn't know about UAE inet connection

Ah, that's good of those friendly UAE people.

The reason why I try to install a TCP/IP stack however, is that Voyager, AmIRC or any other inet related doesn't start up correctly. SnoopDos reports no errors, and the last action is a dir change to SYS: (which means the app has launched correctly).

Anyway, I'll fiddle with it a bit more tonight.
Old 10 May 2001, 18:44   #4
Amiga1992

Well, I remember using them perfectly (they came with AIAB too). Something must be misconfigured, or something. Just UNINSTALL AmiTCP, whatever you have installed of it. It just will confuse the system.

Have you checked that you have bsdsocket.library emulation enabled? It's an option in one of the WinUAE menus. Make sure it is ticked.
Old 10 May 2001, 20:21   #5
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
The non-startup of some programs in the latest AIAB is a know bug.

Make sure, though, that you tick the 'BSD socket library emulation' box on the MISC tab of WinUAE, if that already is ticket then you can have a look at the AIAB forum (http://aiab.emuunlim.com/bin/wwwboard) and hopefully you will find an answer there (I know it WAS posted there, but James has deleted some of the older posts), I think it had something to do with James using the newer JIT version of AIAB, and setting it up with that version in mind, post a message on the board if you can't find the answer.

Hope this helped!

**UPDATE** Looks like you'll just have to wait for the JIT version of WinUAE, read http://aiab.emuunlim.com/bin/wwwboard/messages/357.html **

Thanks
James Thomas
Old 11 May 2001, 10:07   #6
LaundroMat

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on the forums.

Anyway, the Internet connection is not that important, but it could've been interesting. I'll wait, as a true Amigan is used to do

And I'll hook up my A1200 again, to play Ruff 'n Rumble anyway. w00t! I really can't wait till tonight. lol.