English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 09 January 2002, 23:57   #21
Mangar72

Terrorpods

Speaking of Terrorpods.. I have the original.. if that can help getting a working ADF out to the public let me know.. I'm not too familiar with the title to know why the version floating around doesnt work..

Old 10 January 2002, 02:21   #22
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, the version floating around is not really a floppy-based 'crack', but a WHD disk image which does not function as a real Amiga disk or adf. I don't recall ever seeing this game cracked. Maybe Galahad or some of the other old school sceners can verify this?
Old 10 January 2002, 06:28   #23
jmmijo

I seem to recall seeing one years ago when I used to run a Pizza Party at a local restaraunt. It could be diskcopied or fast copied as the custom disk format was removed. Psygnosis really had a thing for these custom jobs as their boot code just took over the entire machine and used it really as a 16-bit console before that really became popular
Old 10 January 2002, 06:58   #24
Mangar
Got the fever back

I could swear I recall seeing Terrorpods released back in the day.. Maybe I'm confusing it with my favorite bbs Terrordome. I dunno.. heh.. I honestly never heard of an uncrackable game.. Seems a bit unreal doesn't it? I remember guys like MOK loved challenges like that. I remember when brilliance or lightwave came out.. cant remember which program it was.. it was dongle protected and supposedly crack proof.. what a waste of time that was.. it was available shortly thereafter.
Old 10 January 2002, 07:22   #25
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yeah, I also believe that anything which can be copy-protected can be cracked, I just never saw one for that game (nor a 100% Dragon's Breath). Seeing those two in the flesh would be divine!
Old 24 January 2002, 14:57   #26
fiath

Wow!

Is this game really that rare?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISA...tem=1322244102
Old 24 January 2002, 17:03   #27
CreepingDeath

well seeing as everyone wants it, and nobody has it, yes
I used to have the original too

If that being sold there is an original copy, maybe someone from this board could buy it and try converting it for everyone
I have the manual so it wouldnt matter about the game protection - wouldnt need cracking, i could just upload a scan of the manual and include it with it
And i pretty sure the original had no copy protection cos at that time all i had to copy games was normal workbench
Old 24 January 2002, 17:05   #28
CreepingDeath

damn its been sold already :hooooo
Old 24 January 2002, 17:06   #29
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Getting an original isn't the problem - a number of people have it. I have a copy with a formatted disk 2...

The problem is doing a cracked or WHDLoad version!
Old 24 January 2002, 17:09   #30
CreepingDeath

i dont get why it has to be cracked :hooooo
Old 24 January 2002, 17:11   #31
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It's not possible to make ADFs from the original disks - they are protected...
Old 24 January 2002, 17:38   #32
fiath

Okay, anybody with the original (both disks) want to dump it with the CAPS tools? Msg me!

Worth a try...
Old 24 January 2002, 17:53   #33
MethodGit

I've heard you mention the CAPS dumping tools a few times before - but how does one obtain these tools? Nothing on your web page talks or allows links about them!

If these are the recommended tools to use when contributing to CAPS...
Old 24 January 2002, 18:03   #34
fiath

You get sent them when you enquire about dumping games. They are not much use to anybody else so we didn't see the point in providing a download...

Haven't I already sent them to you though? (I'm Kieron)
Old 24 January 2002, 19:56   #35
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by CreepingDeath
i dont get why it has to be cracked :hooooo
Creeping Death, we went over this earlier in the thread - the game used disk-based protection via MFM tracks. Scroll back up for the lengthy discussion about this. The original manual-lookup part was already cracked on the Trilogy release (just type anything). But it still will not work except on a real Amiga since the warped tracks do not get properly written to the ADF format.

I meant to reply to Galahad earlier about this game...
Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad
I used to have the Trilogy crack of Dragons Breath, and remember playing it quite distinctly, I didn't need any special copier to make it work, it worked. I suppose it is possible that the first version they released was fucked, but then, a cracking group releasing a game when it doesn't even get past the title screen is... well.... not likely. Trilogy were quite good in their day, I remember playing the game...
I remember playing the Trilogy crack just as distinctly, but it was still required that those tracks be applied to disk 1 via the warp file. I still have logged captures from some of the biggest BBS's of the day and I looked hard back then for a final release of this game so I could toss the version I still have. Again, a final version may have appeared, but I was never fortunate to have come across it. Nor was anyone else that I ever met, which probably explains why no 100% version appears to be in anybody's collection now. I realize you were more entrenched in the scene than I was then, since you were/are...well, Galahad! So, I am not saying you are wrong! Just saying that we don't have a working copy now for whatever reason(s).

At any rate, I'm gonna go ahead and upload the original DMS files and the warped tracks for anyone who is interested or for anyone who wants to have a go on a real Amiga. And when you undms the tracks, you can see the pretty Trilogy ASCII art that you miss using crap like DMS2ADF!
Old 24 January 2002, 23:17   #36
CreepingDeath

i take it disk2fdi has been tried too?

let me ask simple question..

If someone has the right copy (in what ever format is needed) and the right software or whatever.. is it possible to get this game to work on emu?
Old 24 January 2002, 23:26   #37
fiath

I guess we cannot answer that until a 100% dump of the game is put into a form that an emulator can read. Once this is done, the emulation might fail, so we really don't know. Having said this, if the emulation did fail, you can normally trace through and find out why (not easy) but then the emulator can be impoved...
Old 24 January 2002, 23:38   #38
jmmijo

Wasn't/Isn't the issue with custom disk formats that they load in the bootblocks and/or boot track and took over the machine. They basically used supervisor mode and a custom os and i/o routines. This is very timing dependent and I'm thinking this is why emu's can fail, even on adf's that can be read by said emu.
Old 17 March 2002, 20:22   #39
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
What has happened to DB/DL WHD installs?

Now I'll be damned.
Dragon's Breath/Dragon Lord have disappeared from the WHDLoad WIP list!

Does anyone know any more details WHY?
Seems that CFOU! has given up with the game...

Last edited by andreas; 17 March 2002 at 21:28.
Old 17 March 2002, 20:40   #40
jmmijo

Question

WTFO