English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 21 October 2001, 18:46   #1
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Smile Dragon's Breath - let's get this thing done!

Hi Cody and all the other Dragon's Breath nerds!

This could be a first attempt for getting a working cracked image of Dragon's Breath.

Must have been some fileserver from deep in the depths of IRC where I got those MFM dumps from, and I do not know if they work! (But I'm quite optimistic they do.)
I thought they were much more common, but obviously they aren't!

So Codetapper or others, please don't let us down and finally crack this beast!
Maybe some other guys with REAL Amigas could write these dumps back to a real Amiga disk, and check if they work too!

Last edited by andreas; 24 October 2001 at 01:51.
Old 22 October 2001, 18:00   #2
Amiga1992

Remember most MFM images cannot be written back to normal disks. So maybe it doesn't work.

But I let the experts speak Perhaps galahad wants to take a peek at this game
Old 20 December 2001, 02:42   #3
DPainter

I'm out of the loop on this one. Where exactly does Dragon's Breath crash on the emulator? This is where I can't get my version to work any further in Winfellow:
Old 20 December 2001, 08:38   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

That's as far as it ever gets. It's not cracked properly.
Old 20 December 2001, 15:25   #5
CreepingDeath

I actually think it could be where the emulator cant read the disks properly:/
I could be wrong ofcourse

Also have the same prob in a couple of other games..

Super Stardust - Says insert disk 1 shortly after booting when its already in

Populous (1 i think, could be 2) - Has a very similar prob saying insert the disk

Anyawys, I been looking for dragons breath for years - I had it on my A500, then got an A1200 - it didnt work ofcourse so i wiped it and re-used the disks

Also, how about someone with a non cracked version.. I still have the instruction manual for the protection!

I also really want Wipeout, but thats another issue - nobody has it full stop, even tho its in my drawer next to me on amiga floppy
Old 20 December 2001, 16:27   #6
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It's not an emulation problem, but a problem with the crack. I've tried running it on a real A500 and it did the same thing. I used a patch on the real disk which properly cracks it and it worked - I was able to play the game. However, whatever is written to the disk is not captured when you make an ADF of it.
Old 03 January 2002, 07:58   #7
jmmijo

Smile

Has anyone checked the original disk(s) to see if there is data out on cylinder 80 and/or 81???

Most Amiga floppy drives could read those tracks but could have problems writing to them.

Also you may want to use some sort of program on a real Amiga, such as X-Copy to check the disk all the way out to 81 and see if any data shows up.

I'd do this myself but I do not have any originals of this title.

P.S. I've just joined this forum, found it last week while searching for some classic titles for my 3 Amiga's that I just got out of mothballs. Just love everything on this board so keep up the good work everyone
Old 03 January 2002, 13:44   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, see you have to understand that version of Dragon's Breath that is circulating on the net (the only known attempt at cracking the game) was never 100% cracked. If there was, in fact, extended track data, it is no longer an issue. As I understand it, there are two MFM tracks (0 and 1?) on disk 1 that have not been cracked to non-MFM, so they have been archived using warpnib, which allows for the storage and transfer of this data format. It de-archives proper to a real Amiga floppy disk, but an adf does not support the length of the tracks that a real Amiga disk does, so the game will never work in emulation as long as this is the case.

I may have explained the above with some incorrect details, but Codetapper or Galahad or someone can, I'm sure, correct me. But that should give you the general idea, anyhow.
Old 03 January 2002, 14:02   #9
Drake1009

You mean it's possible to play on a real Amiga Twistin? And is it hard to achieve? (The files nescesary to do this)
Old 03 January 2002, 14:55   #10
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

All ya need is warpnib and a copy of the .wrp file with the uncracked tracks. I can post them for you if you want. It should work on your A500 without a hitch.
Old 03 January 2002, 16:02   #11
CreepingDeath

ok the copy thats going around will never work, that right?

So what if someone used some diff method and made another?
its possible it could work?
Old 03 January 2002, 16:46   #12
Drake1009

I'd like those files Twist if they'll work with the cracked version as I don't have the original. But then why need to crack the original?
Old 03 January 2002, 17:34   #13
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Dragons Breath (Trilogy crack) is 100%

Just to clear some things up.

The Trilogy crack of Dragons Breath WAS 100%, no-one in their right mind goes through the chore of decrypting the boot code and then not bother to see if it gets past the title screen!

The disk code for detection of DF1 is buggy, and it is the games fault that it falls over, not the crackers fault.

No offence to anyone, but, do you really think it would be the only version of the game if it wasn't cracked properly?

I was going to fix it, but CFOU! has started before me and he is also supporting the US version Dragon Lord as well. This will cure your ills on UAE.

The MFM tracks are simply used as a copy protection check, as long as the cracker bypassed the code to check for it, then UAE doesn't physically need the data on the tracks at all.
Old 03 January 2002, 18:22   #14
jmmijo

Actually this makes sense and is correct. I remember back in my days working for KJPB that many game titles, for instance pretty much everything from Psygnosis used custum disk formats. If you hex dumped the boot track you would find the custom loader for that title. If you looked at the code you would find that Psygnosis liked to put the Amiga into Supervisor mode and basically take over the machine. This allowed a flat 16-bit mode from which the game was the complete OS. Working with the fellow team members we found that sometimes they actually put a pretection check within the title as well, a non-standard track for instance. A favorite was the outer cylinders of 80 and/or 81.
Old 04 January 2002, 00:18   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
I was going to fix it, but CFOU! has started before me and he is also supporting the US version Dragon Lord as well. This will cure your ills on UAE.
Yes, but with a 'but'. This will mean that we won't get any disk version usable on ADFs, but a HD-only version. At least, it will be playable on emulation, then. But the "luxury" of a standalone ADF working OOTB is still a reason to crack it even though somebody else has started working on it. Remember that this can also be invaluable for REAL A500 users, because these guys would easily be able to transfer the ADF back to disk and have a working version on disks without having to apply patches.
For me, this almost sounds like some sort of rivalry between you HD-fixers : "this is my chore, keep your fingers off it!"

Last edited by andreas; 04 January 2002 at 00:26.
Old 04 January 2002, 01:00   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Yes, it brings us back to the Terrorpods thing again where we have no working floppy version. I know some users claim that we don't need a working floppy version, but I like to see both working floppy and WHD.
Old 04 January 2002, 01:13   #17
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Re: Dragons Breath (Trilogy crack) is 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Galahad/FLT
Just to clear some things up.

The Trilogy crack of Dragons Breath WAS 100%, no-one in their right mind goes through the chore of decrypting the boot code and then not bother to see if it gets past the title screen!

The disk code for detection of DF1 is buggy, and it is the games fault that it falls over, not the crackers fault.
That's as may be, but the bottom line is that it is a non-working release without the warped tracks. And I recall a message from Trilogy stating that they didn't have the time to fix it for this release and that it would be fixed later, but I never saw a fixed version released. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. But if there was, it sure got very little spreading since nobody I have ever met has seen a true 100% crack.

Quote:
No offence to anyone, but, do you really think it would be the only version of the game if it wasn't cracked properly?
I would like to think there is a working version out there, but I have been looking since the early 90's and have never seen such a beastie. Never saw a copy pass through The Boiler Room or Ice Station Zebra...

Quote:
The MFM tracks are simply used as a copy protection check, as long as the cracker bypassed the code to check for it, then UAE doesn't physically need the data on the tracks at all.
But the Trilogy crack wasn't complete even on the Amiga without said tracks, so perhaps the cracker didn't bypass the code after all? I don't know, as I don't crack, nor do I know why this crack is incomplete. I think the info I got came from DMS banners from the original postings on the BBS's.
Old 05 January 2002, 00:30   #18
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Hmm..

I used to have the Trilogy crack of Dragons Breath, and remember playing it quite distinctly, I didn't need any special copier to make it work, it worked. I suppose it is possible that the first version they released was fucked, but then, a cracking group releasing a game when it doesn't even get past the title screen is... well.... not likely. Trilogy were quite good in their day, I remember playing the game...

As for Andrea's assumption that I don`t want the `chore` of fixing something that someone else is fixing.... too right!

I would be a little fucked off if, having filled out the current install release section on WHDLoad for everyone to see, someone else ignored it and did it themselves...

CFOU! got there first plain and simple. Its only good manners that I respect that.

I MIGHT well take a look anyway to 'maybe' to an ADF version, but to be honest, UAE/Fellow users would do themselves a massive favour by using WHDLoad... Toni and the guys cannot and will not ever get every game working, such is the nature of some of the Amiga 'programmers'!
Old 05 January 2002, 01:16   #19
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
As for Andrea's assumption that I don`t want the `chore...
No, NOT AGAIN! :laugh :laugh
Another candidate for the "APOF"
(s4murai has also won Andreas' Prize Of Fools [tm] once, so you're the second one now! Congratulations, Mrs. Galahad! )
:laugh
Old 05 January 2002, 01:42   #20
birdy-scc
Banned

Eek Deliberately off-topic

"Look out old man, bandits at 4 O'Clock!"