English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 01 January 2021, 16:13   #1
SuperFuryAnimal

A 'longplay' issue

Back in the 90's when i turned my A1200 off for the last time for reasons i can't begin to remember i thought i had done very well at my time gaming on my Amiga. Happy with the games that i had completed and pretty sure that the ones i hadn't i had pretty much seen everything in the games.

Now i have some free time i have been watching some longplays on youtube and it turns out that my previous statement is not entirely accurate!!!.

So it would seem i have some unfinished business i must attend to, some games need 'closure'

Looks like i better find the best way i can to recreate my old A1200 and get started!!
Old 01 January 2021, 16:20   #2
chip

I well remember i started Amiga emulation for the same reason

To complete unfinished games on the real machine, like Gods
Old 01 January 2021, 16:33   #3
SuperFuryAnimal

I shall have to go down an emulation route myself, not sure my old A1200 would pass a 'smoke test'.

I have a Pi 400, think will look at getting that running as an amiga to start and see where i go from there.
Old 01 January 2021, 16:39   #4
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Yeah, know that feeling. And it's not always the games you expect.

A while ago I got an itch to make it to the end of Fury of the Furries. Great game that I've no idea why I gave up on it. And last week I watched a bit of Gunship 2000 and now have the urge to get top rank or whatever the end of it is. When I will find time is the big mystery.
Old 01 January 2021, 16:41   #5
SuperFuryAnimal

I now want to know how i was meant to work out how to finish Magic Pockets by myself, read the thread on how to and like ?????
Old 01 January 2021, 16:45   #6
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Ha! I remember that thread. It hurt my brain just reading it. There's a chance it will be the first game in this years super league competition, but I doubt I'll ever pull off that feat.
Old 03 January 2021, 21:47   #7
SuperFuryAnimal

Now its Gods, have they taken it away and changed it and made it more complicated in the last 20 years??? or is it me??
Old 03 January 2021, 22:05   #8
jotd
This cat is no more

Gods is easy to beat, even skipping the secret / bonus stuff. Even after 30 years I'm still able to do it. I know the game very well, but it's not difficult when you know what's coming. I'm definitely NOT an expert player. For instance, I can't even pass 1.2 at Turrican II...

Magic Pockets (yes that thread hurt, sorry I contributed to it) is another beast. To sum up the thread:

- I have strong reasons to believe that the only youtube longplay is a "fake". My whdload slave has a "T" key that sets the number of stars to 1 and pops the gold star the next time (if already in the "special items" selection). The gold star appears out of nowhere in the last level, allowing the player to complete the game. I played many times in the same conditions and could never get that star. So that player must have cheated at least once to complete the game
- someone could complete the game by following my advice: get fruit drink at the previous level, which awards 5000 or 10000 points, enough to advance the sequence to silver star at once, then getting gold is possible (but still not super-easy). The previous level is also tough so it's difficult to stay calm and get stuff. To try it quickly, use the NTSC version and the level code for level 24 (the level before "transport to get home")

That Magic Pockets game is IMHO much more difficult than Gods. You are often underpowered, specially in world 4. Plus the itch of visiting all rooms makes you hunt for silver+gold star combination, and you can lose credits trying that. Getting the gold chalice at level 1 (or 3) helps a lot, but then the game switches to 'hard' mode. Note that (is that a bug?) losing a game where you had the gold chalice and restarting leaves you the gold chalice power until you quit/reset the machine.

Superb game but the author must have supposed that people would become super-experts at the game mechanics so they could finish it. How many people really finished it without cheating/save states/level codes?

Last edited by jotd; 03 January 2021 at 22:13.
Old 03 January 2021, 22:08   #9
SuperFuryAnimal

I shall get to Magic Pockets in the fullness of time.....
Old 03 January 2021, 22:16   #10
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I well remember i started Amiga emulation for the same reason

To complete unfinished games on the real machine, like Gods

I love Gods! I kept about 5 Amiga 500 games (after I sold it) solely because they are great games I wanted them in boxes to display. One of the them was Gods. I never got very far in the original game, and plan to try to get further soon. It has a special feel to it.

I was very interested in the Megadrive and SNES ports when I heard about them but one is too fast (SNES) and the other lacks colours (Megadrive). None looks as good as the Amiga original IMO

As for longplays - my feeling is that Amiga games were never meant to be completed - except very rarely. I hardly finished anything and that seemed the natural order of things back then.
Old 04 January 2021, 16:18   #11
rothers

I spent ages trying to finish Quak with save states last year only to discover it has no ending it just gets more and more buggy and falls apart.

Weird way to code a commercial game. Especially considering it's a really good game to start with...
Old 04 January 2021, 17:08   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

Qwak was budget. now I know why

I recommend the modern Windows version. It's awesome.

Best version of Gods is the Amiga version. Console versions suck because to fast (on purpose because it's a console game), but colors are better.
Old 04 January 2021, 17:42   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Gods is easy to beat, even skipping the secret / bonus stuff. Even after 30 years I'm still able to do it. I know the game very well, but it's not difficult when you know what's coming.
I don't like that reasoning, you don't allow yourself to be good at the game this way. No. Gods IS difficult, and you are good at the game which for you makes the game easy.
Old 04 January 2021, 18:49   #14
jotd
This cat is no more

I mean: I played all Bitmap Bros games to death, and Gods is the one that I find the easiest.

Maybe Gods is not that easy, you're right. But for me it's the easiest of all Bitmap Bros games.
Old 04 January 2021, 18:50   #15
chip

Probably difficult of a game is subjective

For example i finished Benefactor, even if it is considered a difficult one
Old 04 January 2021, 19:36   #16
SuperFuryAnimal

Today was 'Magic Pockets Monday' thought i'd have a go at completing using the information from the thread mentioned by jotd.

So after prob 3 hours of playing i have discovered 2 things!!

1) Im not as good at Amiga games as i used to be
2) Magic Pockets is not welcome in my house anymore

Looks like im getting back to getting my game playing better
Old 05 January 2021, 13:11   #17
rothers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Qwak was budget. now I know why

I recommend the modern Windows version. It's awesome.

Does it have an ending?