English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 June 2012, 02:50   #1
trydowave

Amiga 600 won't boot.

I got an Amiga 600 a few months back and it was in pretty bad shape. In pieces actually. The Psu was dead so I brought a new one. The light now comes on but the screen is completely blank and the floppy doesn’t tick. Does anyone know what I can do? Here are some picks of the wreck that is my A600. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

http://www.trydowave.com/amigapics.new.web.htm

Last edited by trydowave; 07 June 2012 at 03:02.
Old 07 June 2012, 04:52   #2
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
I got an Amiga 600 a few months back and it was in pretty bad shape. In pieces actually. The Psu was dead so I brought a new one. The light now comes on but the screen is completely blank and the floppy doesn’t tick. Does anyone know what I can do? Here are some picks of the wreck that is my A600. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

http://www.trydowave.com/amigapics.new.web.htm
Hi,

First of all, do you see any change in the screen at all, does the black screen flicker at all. 9 times out of 10 the main reasons for failure to boot past the black screen are leaking capacitors (look for green solder joints at the motherboard), a bad KS rom or a failed CIA chip (normally U8). you really need someone with access to spare parts to do some testing. Don't throw it away though.
Old 07 June 2012, 14:37   #3
trydowave

The screen went the colour purple and white on two separate occasions. Im running through composite. I get nothing ftrough RF. I dont know anyone with an Amiga let alone someone with spare parts and the knowledge to repair them.
Old 07 June 2012, 15:59   #4
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
The screen went the colour purple and white on two separate occasions. Im running through composite. I get nothing ftrough RF. I dont know anyone with an Amiga let alone someone with spare parts and the knowledge to repair them.

take a close look at all the round can like capacitors on the motherboard, look at the solder joints on either side of them. They shouls be silver, if they are dull, green or dirty looking the capacitors may just need to be changed. You will have to throw a bit of money/time into it to rescue it.
Old 09 June 2012, 00:40   #5
majsta
www.majsta.com

Uh on the image there are number of soldering problems.
First of all there is no purple error code color!
Connect A600 to monitor and see what color is there.
But I think that this is the green due to Denise problem and need to fix that first so trace components related to Denise generated Green using schematics R215 for example also Q212, C212 and R212. When you get Green screen then real problems occur

Also if everything is fine here color is maybe red and this could be related to ROM so first change kickstart and then disassemble board and check traces on bottom layer...

And remember you can't fix anything if you don't improve your soldering skills...
Old 09 June 2012, 12:05   #6
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

I had a purple error colour on an A1200 = Roms not seated properly/dirty pins.

Try pushing down on the rom chip or removing, inspecting, reseating.
Old 09 June 2012, 13:07   #7
keitha1200

Post some detailed picture's of the caps as it's hard to tell
Old 09 June 2012, 19:24   #8
trydowave

Hi... this link is from a previous post.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62829
I took some close up pics of the A600 before I got the PSU. Hopefully they can help.
Cheers
Old 17 June 2012, 19:30   #9
keitha1200

I've had a old 600 laying in a box with a similar problem, anyhow wipped it out today, and there was a slight leak here:

(blue one)

And here:

However mines occasional works.
Old 18 June 2012, 00:54   #10
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
The three A600s here developed this same black screen problem over the last year or two. The other day a mate dropped off his old Amiga gear and I tested his A600, which worked fine for about five minutes, but when I rebooted it too had the dreaded black screen!

On this and other forums I've noticed a bunch of A600s getting this problem in the last year or so. It's the caps for sure.
Old 18 June 2012, 01:44   #11
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
The three A600s here developed this same black screen problem over the last year or two. The other day a mate dropped off his old Amiga gear and I tested his A600, which worked fine for about five minutes, but when I rebooted it too had the dreaded black screen!

On this and other forums I've noticed a bunch of A600s getting this problem in the last year or so. It's the caps for sure.

I'm curious, your mate dropped it over and his had black screen too, have you checked out your monitor ? and power supply, you may be looking in the wrong area
Old 18 June 2012, 01:56   #12
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Yeah, we have a pretty well decked-out Amiga room here, I tried it with an A500 brick and one of Mechware's APower PSUs, this is with all these A600s and other Amigas, using an RGB-S-Video adapter and the internal Composite-out just to be sure. The monitor works fine with other Amigas. This A600 of my mates actually had the purple boot screen up for a while until I rebooted and it went black. My mate had told me it had stopped working for him already, so I guess I was just lucky to get a few minutes of life out of her.
Old 18 June 2012, 13:21   #13
kipper2k

Electrolytic caps normally have a life from 1000 - 3000 hours before they degrade. So far this year i have fixed 2 LG plasma TV's that are are approx 4 years old as they would not turn on all the time. I changed the caps on the power relay boards and they both work great. Some caps will bulge and leak, others will just become weak and not leak.

Its time to change all the aluminium caps on the boards, after all, 15 - 20 years is a long ask for a capacitor to keep working. I think they've done well to last that long.Just make sure you get the ones rated at the correct voltages otherwise you'll be wasting your time. They are easy to get off the board, someone recommended just twisting them off and then cleaning up the solder pads. It works great, but do whatever you are comfortable with.
Old 18 June 2012, 13:36   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

An important point to note with aluminium wet-wear electrolytic's is that they need to be power cycled every three years or the electrolytic will erode the internal aluminium foil.

=)