English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 28 May 2007, 06:19   #1
laffer
Zone Friend

What's your favourite Alien Breed game?

I just started playing these games over again.. too bad I don't have anyone to play with

Anyway, I started with the very first game and I struggled with that one for some time.. it's pretty hard in single player! It seems the enemies can take the same amount of damage in both one and two player mode and there seems to be the same amount of them too.. I think it may be geared towards two player and they didn't balance it well enough for single player. It is a lot of fun though but you can't really explore the levels a lot because of the respawning enemies and very limited ammo.
Also - you have to watch that damn boot sequence for those index terminals every time you use one! That really annoyed me a lot.

Now, Alien Breed Special Edition is a lot better. They seem to have done a much better job of balancing this one.. the enemies die faster and you get more stuff on the levels. And you can skip that boot thing on the index terminals too which is a blessing!
In this game you can actually explore the entire levels.. it's a lot more fun I think.

I still haven't played Alien Breed 2 or Tower Assault.. I never had those for my Amiga back in the day and I'm looking forwards to trying them out once I finish this SE version of the first one.

And I don't really like the 3D ones.

So so far, my favourite game is Alien Breed SE.. awesome game
Old 28 May 2007, 09:50   #2
laffer
Zone Friend

Hmmm... I encountered an issue with Alien Breed Special Edition.. I suddenly became very rich! I didn't use a cheat or anything but all of a sudden I had over 800000 credits! Is this a bug in the game or something? It makes it all a lot more boring, the challenge is gone
Old 28 May 2007, 09:53   #3
s2325
Zone Friend

Tower Assault is somewhat easier because there you have retreat mode (walking backwards but shooting forward). I don't like Horror Continues with added falling meteors and shooting helicopters, they move and appear too random.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:20   #4
laffer
Zone Friend

You wouldn't happen to know if suddenly getting a lot of cash is a bug in the game? It was pretty boring after that, no challenge left.
Old 28 May 2007, 10:24   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

I don't remember that bug on real Amiga and/or WinUAE. When/where this happen?
Old 28 May 2007, 10:30   #6
laffer
Zone Friend

It happened after level 5 or 6 or something.. oh the level after that fake extra life that sets off the self destruct sequence when you grab it. The level after that one.
Old 28 May 2007, 15:54   #7
Carcenomy

Send a message via ICQ to Carcenomy Send a message via MSN to Carcenomy
I quite enjoyed Tower Assault, but I never managed to finish it. That's a big-ass game.
Old 28 May 2007, 17:24   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The Killing Grounds
Old 28 May 2007, 18:46   #9
Graham Humphrey

I like the first AB3D personally. Also SE92 is good fun.
Old 29 May 2007, 11:06   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I loved the original, I started playing Tower Assault for the first time (properly) the other day and quite enjoyed it.

With all the stuff I've been doing I've forgotten how much fun it is to actually PLAY amiga games.

AB3D was one of my faves at the time, TKG needed an uber amiga and ran like shite on my A1200.
Old 29 May 2007, 11:08   #11
Ironclaw
Banned

I like to breed with an alien.
Old 29 May 2007, 18:04   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Ironclaw

I dont think you have to, I belive your parents did.... tri-sexual.... means he willl try anything LOL

@laffer

Personally I adore 92SE and Tower Assault is a dream to play... its got a good story / plot line too.... not that we care too much about that when spanking xenomorphic parasitical life formsa and all that
Old 27 July 2007, 16:51   #13
Tom

Tower Assault for me.
Old 27 July 2007, 16:57   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

No.... there is another....

@Tom

Hello there

welcome to the EAB, i am pretty sure you will like it here .

I did enjoy tower assult, i feel its a better built game than say 92SE, BUuuuUUut... 92SE me and my bro played to completion! so theres a share history there, by the time tower assult came out, we had moved on to other abodes and games of interest

irony would be it wasn`t so long ago over christmass, me and my brother started playing TA in 2 co-op action#! ahhh awsome.

There was a MOD done for Unreal Tornament that gives you an overhead look of the field, it was awsome in detail, even includes a whole gui interface to, a REAL omarge to the original, if i find a linkie i will post it... unless some one beats me to it...
Old 27 July 2007, 17:24   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

glad to hear a few others say Tower Assault, because its undoubtedly my favourtie in the series... although they are all very enjoyable.

I just feel that not only does it have the superior cosmetics (graphics / sound etc) but it also has the most depth, and with its multi-route nature i dont think i have ever had the same game twice! couple this with the excellent atmosphere that they all have, and you really are onto a winner here i think.

and no, ive never completed it either... part of what keeps me coming back i think!
Old 27 July 2007, 23:09   #16
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

I'm not really a fan of the Alien Breed series however I did buy Tower Assault back in the day. Undoubtedly the highlight of the AB series, although it is still really really tough. The graphics are really nice, you have the ability to fire while retreating and (thanks to the soundtrack) the atmosphere is brilliant and highly immersive. I remember playing it in multiplayer and it makes the game 200% better.

First couple of levels are pretty good but I don't like the dark levels where you have a shitty little torch and have to look for the aliens blue eyes. The aliens never seem to stop spawning either and its pretty relentless. That level spoils it for me. You have to play the CD32 version if only for the incredibly embarrassing intro sequence. Amiga Format described it as Emmerdale meets Star Wars.

The 3D games were ok but obviosuly not in the same ball park as Doom. AB3D II looked really nice (especially the explosions) but the level design is crap and the difficulty curve is just off the scale. What were Team17 thinking?
Old 27 July 2007, 23:14   #17
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The 3D games were ok but obviosuly not in the same ball park as Doom. AB3D II looked really nice (especially the explosions) but the level design is crap and the difficulty curve is just off the scale. What were Team17 thinking?
Cash-in? Or was it a rhetorical question?
Old 27 July 2007, 23:29   #18
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Cash-in? Or was it a rhetorical question?
It was a historical question.
Old 30 August 2007, 19:42   #19
danwood

alien breed 3d,though tower assault ran it close.
Old 30 August 2007, 19:54   #20
Paul_s

Alien Breed 92 Special Edition for me