English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 26 November 2019, 13:47   #1
Glen M

Help choosing a VR headset

With Christmas not 4 weeks away we are really struggling with a gift idea for our 12 year old who is a massive PC gamer. Last year he got a new PC based on a ryzen 5 1500x with 16gb ram and a RX480 8gb gpu.

We are floating the idea of a VR headset, he has mentioned it but I am acutely aware that the RX480 won't drive a VR headset. We were initially looking at the Oculus Quest 64gb as its stand alone with the hope of future upgrading his GPU so he can play games likes the upcoming Half Life Alyx. Plan A was get the VR headset for christmas then a new GPU at his birthday in June. I know the 480 is under powered but my thought was it would at least give run a few games and give some idea of how they work in VR.

But the big hick-up is that I've read using the quest on a PC both is and isn't possible.

So questions.

Is the quest any good?
Is the quest compatible with PC gaming as well as stand alone?
Are there any other VR headsets sub £4-500 worth considering?
Old 26 November 2019, 19:39   #2
jmmijo

Sorry but I still have not purchase any VR unit due to space limitation, beside the fact I own quite a few VR ONLY titles on Steam now.

I would read and watch reviews and hopefully somebody else on the board has some experience with one or two of these devices.
Old 28 November 2019, 10:55   #3
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Oculus Quest will never play games like Alyx, it's just not powerful enough. It's a standalone kit, your computer is not involved. It's a wonderful plaything I'll tell you that, I was blown away by how easy it works and how smooth it operates. But the software is limited in what it can do and the resolution is not fantastic. It's the kind of VR set you get not so much for intense personal use but more to have fun when friends and family are over, especially if you are capable of projecting what the player is seeing on a TV or through a beamer.

If you want proper VR gaming... it is going to cost the big bucks. Expensive VR kit in the 800-900 range and a videocard to match.

See for yourself, check out the (rather limited) software library for the quest: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/ . Try to spot titles you know.

Last edited by gimbal; 28 November 2019 at 11:02.
Old 28 November 2019, 14:14   #4
Valken

I was looking at the Samsung Odessy+ or maybe just save up enough for the Valve Index Headset alone.

I don't have space for the controllers so would use KB and Mouse + the head tracking of the headset.

But the reality is I cannot do this until next year as there are more important life matters that needs my resources at the moment. Would still love hear everyone's suggestions.
Old 28 November 2019, 22:51   #5
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Oculus Quest will never play games like Alyx, it's just not powerful enough. It's a standalone kit, your computer is not involved. It's a wonderful plaything I'll tell you that, I was blown away by how easy it works and how smooth it operates. But the software is limited in what it can do and the resolution is not fantastic. It's the kind of VR set you get not so much for intense personal use but more to have fun when friends and family are over, especially if you are capable of projecting what the player is seeing on a TV or through a beamer.

If you want proper VR gaming... it is going to cost the big bucks. Expensive VR kit in the 800-900 range and a videocard to match.

See for yourself, check out the (rather limited) software library for the quest: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/ . Try to spot titles you know.
I was under impression that Oculus Rift S works with PC for PC games?!

Usually on sale for $400, now for holidays is $350.

https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/
Old 28 November 2019, 23:37   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

But the Rift is not the Quest.
Old 29 November 2019, 13:41   #7
ExiE

I am not sure if it is a good idea to encourage 12-year-old kid in heavy gaming but it is your choice. Anyway, I would recommend try the VR in the shop, at the friend, ... first to find out if it is not causing any problems to him (anxiety, nausea, eye strain, stability, ...)
New HF may help VR a lot but it is still unclear if it is the future of gaming. (quite similar to 3D in TVs)
Old 29 November 2019, 21:48   #8
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
New HF may help VR a lot but it is still unclear if it is the future of gaming. (quite similar to 3D in TVs)
3D TVs were dead on arrival, just a huge gimmick that only adds discomfort to the viewing experience.

But VR gaming is really awesome - IF you can stomach it. It's funny to see how people react differently to it. The Oculus Quest has a free program where you float around a space station called Mission: ISS. The moment I went outside I was like "alright, I'm flying down to Earth!" and shot myself into outer space. Other people were holding on to the fake space station for dear life crapping their pants because there was no floor beneath them anymore Never mind that they were just standing around in the living room.

Of course it's not "the future of gaming", needing to have a headset on is a bother which you certainly don't want to do hour after hour. Its incredibly tiring too. But it's definitely a device that'll be a standard plaything in a lot of households much like consoles.
Old 29 November 2019, 22:02   #9
ExiE

Quote:
But it's definitely a device that'll be a standard plaything in a lot of households much like consoles.
Or maybe not. At least Microsoft is not so sure...

VR not a focus of Project Scarlett, says Phil Spencer
https://stevivor.com/features/interv...-phil-spencer/
Old 02 December 2019, 15:46   #10
Glen M

We have decided to not bother with it this year. Its not his using it that concerns me but rather his not using it. Until it becomes more mainstream I think he can stick to the PC and a monitor for now.

I see there is a nintendo labo VR thing that might be worth a shout for his switch, its only £20 now so would do as a stocking filler if nothing else.

I would like to get something VR even just for that having friends and family over but its a lot to shell out just for that.
Old 03 December 2019, 10:43   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

wise choice, the tech is still too much in the baby growth phase. You buy a Quest now and then you can be darned skippy that at the start of next year Oculus announces the Quest 2 with twice the horsepower. Besides that I have the sneaky suspicion that the release of Alyx is going to set the bar much higher for VR sets.
Old 03 December 2019, 13:43   #12
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
But the Rift is not the Quest.
Sorry, my bad. I was under impression that you suggested that computer VR gaming was not possible without spending 800-900 bucks for a VR set.

As for possible future version of VR that is better, isn't that curse of everything related to computers and tech??