English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Demos

Old 19 April 2017, 23:09   #1
MartinW

Arte Timing Problems

Hello,

Is there anything software wise that might cause timing problems with the Arte demo?

My hardware is a self built GB-A1000 running the stock 68030@50Mhz, MMU & FPU enabled, 2MB chip and 8MB 32bit Fast. Oktagon for the HDD. I've always had problems with this demo in that it will get so far in - usually just past the picture of Einstein, sometimes further and then the music will speed up, slow down and generally go all over the place.

Usually it eventually causes a software guru but last night it got all the way through and has done on some occasions in the past. It obviously goes back to playing at normal speed on and off as well.

I did originally have hardware problems when building the machine but generally speaking the machine is very stable now.

Any thoughts?
Old 19 April 2017, 23:24   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Problematic CIA chips?
Old 20 April 2017, 00:00   #3
MartinW

Oh, now there's a thought. I think that's one area of the system I've not checked. In the past I've been jumping to the conclusion of the more complex parts. Of course I probably don't have any spare 8520's to swap out.

Is there any software that can be used to test them?
Old 20 April 2017, 01:19   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Oh, now there's a thought. I think that's one area of the system I've not checked. In the past I've been jumping to the conclusion of the more complex parts. Of course I probably don't have any spare 8520's to swap out.

Is there any software that can be used to test them?
Swap them over, they are compatible with each other. One going down possible, both, unlikely.
Old 20 April 2017, 23:29   #5
UberFreak

Are you sure this demo is meant to run on 68030 ?
Try running it with WHDLoad.
Old 20 April 2017, 23:43   #6
MartinW

Well it runs on my A1200 with ACA1233/40Mhz. I'm already using WHDLoad to run it.

I swapped the CIA's over and it didn't help unfortunately.

I'm still wondering if I've got a software issue somewhere here. If I switch the fast mem to 24bit (there's a jumper for it on the motherboard) then I get a s/w guru at every reboot. I've not looked up the values yet. Probably totally unrelated but it might be an indication that my install is wrong somewhere.

[EDIT] Software Failure E008 FFFF, not Guru Code

Last edited by MartinW; 21 April 2017 at 00:02.
Old 23 April 2017, 14:49   #7
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
Are you sure this demo is meant to run on 68030 ?
Try running it with WHDLoad.
WHDLoad is fine for games, but it SUCKS for demos. I know, I've tried.
Old 23 April 2017, 15:33   #8
UberFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
WHDLoad is fine for games, but it SUCKS for demos. I know, I've tried.
I completely agree, which is why there's a KS1.2 A500 on my desk
Old 23 April 2017, 19:00   #9
MartinW

Well I know that WHDLoad isn't the problem. A friend has the same machine and it works fine for him using WHDLoad.

It's looking more and more like a hardware problem but I have now got info on his exact software specification so I'm going to build my OS the same as his with the same patches and CPU commands, etc. just to make sure there isn't anything software related with my setup causing the problem.
Old 02 May 2017, 23:33   #10
MartinW

So, it's not the CIA's - I have replaced them both. It's not Paula - that was a long shot anyway but since it was slightly related to sound I tried another.

If I enable MMU in WHDLoad then the demo plays 99% correct, there is just one small bit that speeds up.

What is curious is that I know someone else with the same machine (GB-A1000), the same OS (CWBADVSP 3.1) and the same CPU / FPU (68030RC50 / 68882) and he does not need to set the MMU option for it to play at the correct speed all the way through.

All I can wonder is if there is a small difference in our CPU or something.

Obviously in terms of playing the demo I'm happy with that now. The reason that I am being a bit fussy about it is because I want to be sure that I have a good base hardware before going ahead and spending a good amount of money on building the 68060 accelerator card and graphics card. I want to make sure my system is as stable as it can be first.
Old 19 August 2017, 13:12   #11
MartinW

I just came to this sub-forum to post something else and I noticed my old thread here. I figured I'd update it with the answer.

It looks like I had a problematic 68030 in some way. I've since upgraded to an 060 accelerator and Arte works flawlessly via WHDLoad. I don't recall if I'm still using the MMU option. I think that I am.
Old 19 August 2017, 14:51   #12
jotd
This cat is no more

it's not a whdload problem. It's just that demos are shoehorned to be fast & smooth enough and target only A500/7Mhz ECS. Other configs may work, but you have issues.

(Most) games are not programmed so "sharply" (fortunately)