Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

i always target stock A1200 for my games, or stock A500(+)/A600 if it's not AGA
Old 14 October 2015, 20:33   #42
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
My software, PT-1210, runs on a stock machine and proudly so.
I googled that. Very impressive
Old 14 October 2015, 20:54   #43
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydragon View Post
What do you guys will be the future of Amiga?.
Probably more flamebait like this.
Luckily this kind of nonsense rarely surfaces on eab.
Old 14 October 2015, 21:50   #44
eXeler0

Two ppl like the same song. One likes it for the lyrics, the other for its melody. They argue forever about why the song is great and who is right...
Some arguments have no end in sight.. ;-)
Old 14 October 2015, 23:37   #45
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
Two ppl like the same song. One likes it for the lyrics, the other for its melody. They argue forever about why the song is great and who is right...
Some arguments have no end in sight.. ;-)
Amiga users who like unexpanded retro Amiga hardware can continue to use it and those of us who want new enhanced Amiga hardware can use it. Where is the argument? Who can limit our Amiga freedom?
Old 15 October 2015, 00:12   #46
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Amiga users who like unexpanded retro Amiga hardware can continue to use it and those of us who want new enhanced Amiga hardware can use it. Where is the argument? Who can limit our Amiga freedom?
The argument between ppl telling each other what they should or shouldn't use their Amiga for with the frame of reference being their own perception of what the Amiga is.
Old 15 October 2015, 00:33   #47
Combofate

as i m not an programmer i can only hope.
ECS version of Aladin & Banshee made by fans (maybe EHB)
Some New kistarter case like the A1200 but for A600 and A500 this time
find unreleased finish game like Hammerin Harry ( i was looking at the phillipe dessoly amiga screen shot last week on his facebook)
Some kind of trick on whdload to play game like Leander,Chuck Rock and other with music And SFX together.
some great new Accelerator by individual or others cool guys like the vampire one.

edit: Bruce lee AtariST port to Amiga and Renegade&Gryzor CPC6128 port to Amiga.
or May be the New Bruce Lee II C64 port to amiga is so awesome
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Combofate; 15 October 2015 at 01:00.
Old 15 October 2015, 03:13   #48
daxb

@Akira:
I guess you misunderstood me. PT-1210 is an exception. As you said, nearly nobody cares about stock Amiga for programs but nearly the same goes for expanded Amigas. So we have many existing programs that could profit from better hardware. IMHO a win-win situation.
Old 15 October 2015, 03:15   #49
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

The future of Amiga will no longer exist, and any homebrew games are going to be made for the Classics.
Old 15 October 2015, 04:34   #50
Amiga1992

Quote:
Where is the argument? Who can limit our Amiga freedom?
There's no limiting, there was a (probably troll/flamebait) question asked and some opinions like mine are "it's a shame that interest is focused onto something else", because we're really few and we can't agree on which way to go. Together it'd be best.
But as I said I tracked this "problem" down to the late 90s, so it's not a thing of now.
Old 15 October 2015, 05:03   #51
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
No one restrains anyone's freedom, these are just opinions. I sure hope no one here thinks anything I say is the only true gospel. (If they do please PM me so I can tell you how to give me money! )

You are free to enjoy modern FPGA-based monster 68k-s designed with the weird constraint that they must be stuck to a vestigial outdated A500/A1200. I do not understand why one would want to briddle modern hardware with such a weird constraint, especially to run old software which also depends on an outdated OS.

But it's 100% fine if people like it. And even if it were legal for me to physically prevent you from doing it I would still let you enjoy this weird hobby.

But I also think it is important to mention that this is completely equivalent to strapping a Space X rocket to a Ford Model T and arguing that this makes the Model T relevant or worth using for modern uses.

Why not just use the Space X rocket by itself? Just because you happen to have spare Model T tires in your garage? Really?

Writing software for the stock models however, makes way more sense.
It's like creating nice circuits and shows where the Model T can be appreciated for what it was when it was relevant. It puts its historical significance in an even better perspective because it shows what it could do compared to what other cars could do at the time.

Just like making an almost arcade perfect port of Space Harrier on the Amiga OCS would:
- it would be playable now as-is
- it would be fun and useful (as useful as Space Harrier can be)
- it would be impressive and prove a real point about the machine actual capabilities
- And I would buy it, moreover, because the one we got back then was barely average.
Or make a conversion of Id Software's Catacomb-3D clone on OCS, which is comparable hardware to what that game ran on at the time (286 + EGA).

But run old-software, on an old-OS, faster? Why?
Why not new software? On a practical to use OS? With modern features?

The Amiga experience is outdated. It is only valuable in comparison with the PC-experience or Mac-experience of that era. Even AROS is outdated and if I wanted to use an open source OS I would use Linux, not AROS.

You guys are using hyper modern nuclear powered exo skeletons to move around your 80 years old grand mother when she is perfectly capable of walking by herself and amaze people with her bright intelligence and reduced but still very high agility compared to people her age. It is a disservice to both the exo-skeletons and your grand mother.

Stop being ashamed of her and love her as she is, however handicapped she is compared to young people. She lost her youth, that's life.
She is still damn wonderful though. Do what you can with her while she is still here.

And Akira's ProTracker Turntable software is a great illustration of that: if your grand mother can do something fun and modern why not ask her to do it? Everyone wins!
Old 15 October 2015, 10:53   #52
cugar124

Strange to hear the same old stuff being talked about 25 plus years later remember the x86 cards that out preformed a standalone pc or mac version which gave u a mac inside. Amiga has always been about using older Commodore/Amiga hardware with options to add extra. Why cant we have a 4000/3000/1200 expansion which then allows us to run linux or os 4.2 beside or beloved 3 series os what it means is one box 2 monitors if your greedy. Purist will see this has been Amiga since the kcs pc upgrade came out for the 500. I have been blessed to see the revelotion from the beginning watching with amazement as new types of computer goodies hit the market to my ultimate dream of working fixing amigas pcs and mac. My problem now is it has all been done now games are boring after a few days intel keep revamping the same old chip Amd Have flopped taking Radeon with them the xbox one is no better that the 360 kids today have lost the fun of new firms. Hell i had to learn 6 different loading patterns for discs and tapes and u know what it was brillant. So getting back to Amiga if guys can raise cash for a case then time the new fpga card came out for the 4000 and 1200 and helped us remember our roots.
Old 15 October 2015, 12:40   #53
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

when i'm developing for Amiga, i like to do all my development on an Amiga, of course it's nice for it to be fast as well, if there is any number crunching involved, which there often is. I write custom development tools and sometimes have to generate data files. Having an 060 has certainly made my life easier.
Old 15 October 2015, 16:25   #54
daxb

@ReadOnlyCat:
You are still preaching your opinion. Watched too many kitten videos?! :P
Old 15 October 2015, 17:54   #55
eXeler0

@ReadOnlyCat its not the logic in your reasoning thats at fault here. Its your expectation that everyone else will have a logical approach to their love for retro things. 😆
We have all lived different lifes and we all have our personal frame of reference. Just leave it at that. If someone wants to try to run Quake 3 on an OCS Amiga.. let them - without questioning the logic or reasons. Just sit back and enjoy your own personal Amiga experiences ;-)
Cheers
Old 15 October 2015, 18:07   #56
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@eXeler0
That's one of the best (as in most reasonable) posts I've read in a while here
Old 15 October 2015, 18:37   #57
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
@ReadOnlyCat:
You are still preaching your opinion. Watched too many kitten videos?! :P
If you want me to preach your opinion you will have to either convince me or pay me.
Old 15 October 2015, 18:47   #58
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@cugar124
Do you ever had to look for jog as Graphic Artist for press and then when they ask you what computer you have at home you answer an Amiga with Mac Emulation, and they snicker and slam the door in your face? I had to, was not funny; Amiga was phenomenal but some people not even thought was a real computer, more like a Games Machine (ok it was but thanks to beings A games machine it was also an amazing computer, another topic) and that, boy, DID hurt pride...
Old 15 October 2015, 19:05   #59
seko

if i have got enough time, i want to finish Remake robocop for amiga.

below Level 1 and level 1 boss scene preview

[ Show youtube player ]

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 15 October 2015, 19:10   #60
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

@seko
a bit OT but if you need for some more movie-like soundtrack call me, have lot of orchestra samples since working on HOMM 2 soundtrack ^^