English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 August 2009, 16:14   #21
mattbarton.exe

I sympathize with you, Adropac2. I saw a sign at my grandpa's dancing studio that said "Life is too short to dance with ugly women." I thought about that and applied it to gaming: "Life is too short to play crappy games." Yet I find that so often I feel obligated to play something I really don't enjoy just because I happened to buy it or everyone else says it's so good.

I am very careful when I choose games never to pick something that I don't personally enjoy playing. I have great profound respect for the "big ones," but I just don't play them. It's probably been years since I cranked up Pac-Man, and for some crazy reason prefer Great Giana Sisters to SMB. :P I always find myself slipping back to the old favorites regardless of their initial popularity. Thus, I can talk your ear off about Mindwalker, Faery Tale Adventure, Empire, The Settlers, King of Chicago, or Alien Fires...

Hey, did you any of you guys ever see this game?
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/details.php?id=1292

Brings back some fond memories...!
Old 31 August 2009, 20:30   #22
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
I saw a sign at my grandpa's dancing studio that said "Life is too short to dance with ugly women."
Matt - Thank You for telling us this - I am going to try to use this expression every day... for the rest of my life.
Old 01 September 2009, 00:13   #23
Adropac2
Zone Friend

I find even the so called worst of games(obviously not all of them) i can sit there and enjoy.I very easily get pulled into just about any of the older game enviroments no matter how simple and really it's my only complaint of a lot of modern games

A good guideline i find for choosing a game iv'e yet to play is looking out for games that are forever brought up in forums like this one.Like you say though there needs to be something appealing about wanting to play the game in the first place, regardless of if people hail it a classic or not, as you may end up having no fun at all with it - sometimes worth a risk as well though.Certainly i play anything that personally i like the look of but also has been suggested, and i don't reckon you can go wrong this way

King of Chicago is still a very well put together example of how Cinemaware did things rather differently and another one of those games that is quite unlike anything else - again it feels more like an experience than a game which is likely how it was designed to be anyway
Old 01 September 2009, 02:50   #24
Pyromania

Matt what video camera did you shoot that with? Nice episode.
Old 01 September 2009, 03:22   #25
mattbarton.exe

Hi, Pyromania. I'm using a Canon Vixia HG20 camera. It pretty sweet, but definitely pricey at $600. However, it's one of the few HD cameras I found at that price range that have an external MIC input, which was important to me. However, looking back on it, I think I could have done just fine with a non-HD camera and saved a lot of money.
Old 01 September 2009, 03:55   #26
Pyromania

@mattbarton.exe

Good video quality and good price! It cost a lot less than the camera we use.
Old 28 September 2010, 13:08   #27
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateblind View Post
Hi Matt.

I know there is a bigger user-base at youtube, but have you thought about using a site that allows videos to be longer than 10 minutes or do you like having a limit? Does it help make sure you don't waffle on for too long?
Or why not do these in a text format rather than video? Or at least please provide a transcript for those of us on low-bandwidth connections
Old 21 October 2012, 14:09   #28
s2325
Zone Friend

Gameplay of Amiga version: [ Show youtube player ]