English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 01 February 2015, 00:51   #1
Der_Richter

Populous European Championship disks?

Was reading through an old issue of swedish magazine "Datormagazin", namely the sept-oct 1989 issue.

In this there is an article about a swede who participated in the "european populous championship" (and lost by the way) finals.

The championship was apperantly held by modem with finalists sitting at different magazine offices or in the UK, at the publishers office.

It was won by a french guy named Regis Perichon according to the article.

More interesting is the pictures for the article, depicting two "custom" disks for the game, used specifically for these finals.

From the article intro:

"Just a few days before the start of the competition, we recieved two disks from Electronic Arts in Britain, this new black game disk contained a completely new scenario with previously unknown characteristics"

Has these mystery add-on disks, only used in this competition been found? Would be cool to see these "master" scenarios...

Old 02 June 2015, 04:56   #2
PanameUSA

Hi,

Stubbled on your post while doing a search in Google based on my name. I'm actually the French described in the article. The final between The UK, Germany, Sweden and France took place as described in the article through modem; I was located at the headquarters of the now defunct "Tilt" magazine; dedicated to video games. It was played on Amiga although I trained on an Atari. And yes, the map was new (none of the 500 levels in the commercial game)

To your request...

Unfortunately, TILT does not exist anymore so there goes the French lead for the disk. I could ask relatives in France (i am living in the USA now) to unearth the French article to get the name of the journalist assigned to the contest.

Alternatively, you might want to contact Peter Molyneux, the game designer. I was briefly in contact with him when he was at FireAxis (doing black and whites) and he remembered the contest and provided a courteous answer. Could send another out of the blue message. It's been a long time but... Who knows.

It was a really cool game with an amazingly well balanced AI. Countless sleepless nights but got two weeks vacations to Hawaii as a reward.

Best of luck to you,

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Richter View Post
Was reading through an old issue of swedish magazine "Datormagazin", namely the sept-oct 1989 issue.

In this there is an article about a swede who participated in the "european populous championship" (and lost by the way) finals.

The championship was apperantly held by modem with finalists sitting at different magazine offices or in the UK, at the publishers office.

It was won by a french guy named Regis Perichon according to the article.

More interesting is the pictures for the article, depicting two "custom" disks for the game, used specifically for these finals.

From the article intro:

"Just a few days before the start of the competition, we recieved two disks from Electronic Arts in Britain, this new black game disk contained a completely new scenario with previously unknown characteristics"

Has these mystery add-on disks, only used in this competition been found? Would be cool to see these "master" scenarios...

Old 02 June 2015, 06:35   #3
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

This is really nice therad!