English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 04 May 2009, 15:47   #21
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Thank you, another one of your wonderful posts.
If you took your finger out of your butt you would realize I answered to whoever replied to YOU who said "hey man thank you for the facts, case closed", and not to you.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 05 May 2009, 20:17   #22
Predabot

I'm... still very surprised that you were actually serious about making games for the Amiga back in 97... I mean damn. The craze of Playstation, Nintendo 64, PC with 3D accelerators off the charts, quake1-2 and even HALF-LIFE just around the bend.

Incidentally, I think 97-98 was around the time when your current development-platform Flash, was getting really big, wasn't it? I remember being pretty impressed with the possibilities for interactive web-content with Flash back around that time.
Old 06 May 2009, 00:26   #23
Squize

"I'm... still very surprised that you were actually serious about making games for the Amiga back in 97... I mean damn."

It was all about keeping the dream alive. At that time no one wanted to admit the Amiga was all but dead, we were all living in a bubble of hope.
We'd all scoff at pc games needing gigs of hd space to install and no ones sound card working etc. etc. just not believing that things could really be screwed as badly as they were.
PPC was going to be our fresh start and make everything right again.

Although '97 does seem quite late, maybe that dates wrong ? I'm not sure, at my age everything further back than last week is a little blurry.

"Incidentally, I think 97-98 was around the time when your current development-platform Flash, was getting really big, wasn't it?"

I think it was the time that it was the law that every site had to have a 30 second intro for no other reason than every other site had one, and the web was just dripping with cash then so getting some wanky design agency to move some vectors around over a logo for a bath full of cash was the norm ( "Skip Intro" *shudder* ).

In many ways Flash isn't too far off being on par with an Amiga in terms of power ( Not that big a deal I know, Flash running on a quad core PC with 4 gig being on par with a 68020 aga machine ) it's just the industry isn't set up to make Amiga like games.
Clients for the most part really don't get games, they get pretty graphics, but if you were to say offer a client Ruff 'n Tumble or some simple but pretty game that could be put out in episodes they'd take the latter option every time.
I counted up all my games the other day, including the one I'm working on now, I've done 82 since 2003. One of those has been a platformer, and only a handful of shoot'em ups ( For clients, more as personal projects ).
Just shows what the market wants.

I think a game like ScaryGirl is the first time anyone's really had the budget and freedom to just make a full blown game, and it shows.

Anyway sorry, I'm making this FlashKit again

Out of interest, I guess games are still being developed now ? Is everyone using Blitz or the like ? If anyone's got some youTube links to recent stuff that'd be cool, it'll help keep the thread away from Flash anyway

Squize.

Old 06 May 2009, 01:09   #24
Predabot

Squize: Very interesting game! The intro is quite impressive, complex yet simple. Dunno' if you've seen the mirrors Edge beta? It's not at all as advanced as Scary Girl but shows a bit of the right kind of ideas and good use of controls and physics.

http://mirrorsedge2d.com/

2D games are definitely still in development, stuff in both pixels and vectors are released all the time for the portable platforms. Game Boy Advance had a pretty darn good library, all the way up to it's retirement a few years back. Today Nintendo DS and Playstation Portable are the go-to places for 2D gaming as well.

The advent of downloadable games, have just recently started making headway, making it possible for even really small developers to release games, which doesn't have to be so advanced or big. Nintendo Wii, Playstation3 and Xbox360 now all have download-services. I hear the Wii is finally getting support for Flash as well.

I'd say Aquaria is how a modern 2D pixel-based game looks and feels like.

http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/

Currently available for PC mostly, I think? The DL-thrend is spinning out of the console-sector and onto PC as well. I have no idea what kind of devkits are used to make 2D pixel-games nowadays tho, anybody with inside info??
Old 07 May 2009, 00:39   #25
Squize

Yeah the Mirrors Edge adver-game is really nice, done by the guy who did the Fancy Pants games.

Sorry mate by new games I meant more on the Amiga. There are still Spectrum games being published and nes carts being produced etc. I was just wondering if there was any die hards still producing good quality Amiga games ( And not just ppc ports of old and now open source pc games, I still remember the Quake port being the coolest thing ever ).

btw whenever I do any pixel art I always fire up personal paint rather than try and do it in photoshop. I was a Brilliance boy back in the day, but PPaint seems to do the job ok now.

Squize.

Old 07 May 2009, 09:30   #26
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Squize - do you know what happened to the rest of the games released by Shoah? I know Sublime games did a couple for them, and as far as I'm aware there are only the demo versions on Aminet - it would be great to get a complete Shoah collection of the full licenceware releases.
Old 07 May 2009, 10:09   #27
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squize View Post
Yeah the Mirrors Edge adver-game is really nice, done by the guy who did the Fancy Pants games.
You think it would be possible to develop something like this on the Amy?
Old 09 May 2009, 15:13   #28
Squize

Hey HS I don't know if the full versions of the games are floating around anywhere, to be honest we sold next to nothing.
We got on coverdisks and had great reviews but literally a handful of sales.

I've not spoken to the other boys in years but I think Steve took Sublime forward a long way ( I've got it in my head he really got to grips with Blitz on the PC ) so you may be able to track him down.

"You think it would be possible to develop something like this on the Amy?"

Yeah def. Super Frog was years ahead of it's time, they really nailed that. I know at the time we just took it to be our Sonic ( Rather than Zool ) but there engine did everything that current Flash ones are doing.
( It's all the more impressive when you consider the things that are being coded now use vector maths for the collisions for which there was loads of documents and tutorials about, all based on time steps etc.
Those guys did the same thing in assembler. Just amazing work ).

Squize.

Old 31 May 2015, 23:14   #29
s2325
Zone Friend

Per-Ola Eriksson posted gameplay on YouTube, scrolling is very smooth, you may think it's commercial title. I think game just need radar as enemies are too fast. If you like Uridium clones - try this one.
AdSense AdSense