English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 14 August 2007, 22:53   #21
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

I agree with Andreas here. If the original disk image is AmigaDos format, why not just ADF the whole thing and spread that?

All that happens with multiple cobbled-together versions is you end up with more and more junk on the net, alt versions in TOSEC, nobody ever knows which is the real one or which was possibly virus damaged/repaired/cleaned. When the game needs to be WHDLoad installed suddenly there are multiple versions to support, file and datestamps change, root blocks 880-881 on the disk get modified etc. Just pointless when a single clean ADF of the disk can be spread imho.
Old 15 August 2007, 16:53   #22
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
If the original disk image is AmigaDos format, why not just ADF the whole thing and spread that?
TOSEC already contains an original disk 1 (supposedly) as well as a crack, so with the original disk 2 I upped they should have an original set with the next update. Somehow I wouldn't hold my breath, though, as people have posted here before that games they've submitted ages ago still haven't made it into TOSEC despite updates coming and going.

Quote:
All that happens with multiple cobbled-together versions is you end up with more and more junk on the net, alt versions in TOSEC, nobody ever knows which is the real one or which was possibly virus damaged/repaired/cleaned.
Precisely why I think it's a futile exercise submitting originals to TOSEC. They're QA is terrible and probably always will be. They never seem to throw anything non-working, virus-ridden etc. out of the Ami collection, even if they already have other working copies. Too many disks in there are still mislabelled (i.e. wrong game name/cracker/publisher/release yearr etc., game marked as working when it doesn't etc. etc.), so you can't have any real confidence that the small no. of originals that are in the collection are indeed that. I could go on and on, but I think you get the drift and most of it has been said before anyway.

At least SPS and WHDLoad has had strong QA from the outset, so original submissions are far better off going to those sources instead IMHO. Even more so, when you consider that most new releases make it out on to the web and torrents within a matter of days (unlike TOSEC contributions which could be delayed months/years until another update is made, or simply just fall into a big black hole).

Quote:
When the game needs to be WHDLoad installed suddenly there are multiple versions to support, file and datestamps change, root blocks 880-881 on the disk get modified etc. Just pointless when a single clean ADF of the disk can be spread imho.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here TBH, but since when have the WHD patchers relied on TOSEC instead of contributors or SPS for originals? I'm quite happy to email you the game if you want to fix it and have KG include it in his packs once the patch is released. I reckon a WHD fix will be much more useful in the longer term than a simple clean ADF of this game (TOSEC inclusion undetermined atm), don't you?

Last edited by DrBong; 15 August 2007 at 17:59.
Old 15 August 2007, 17:17   #23
BippyM

Amiga tosec is such a huge beast, and before ido took over and I got involved it was a mess..

It'll take forever to go thru and remove the crap, the problem that will always arise is that if we remove a non-working game suppose, the following week someone will say "hey I have a non recognised version" and well back to square 1!

The solution IMO is to create a bad games, bad apps etc dats and move all crap in there, so it can be scanned and safely deleted
Old 16 August 2007, 13:15   #24
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here TBH, but since when have the WHD patchers relied on TOSEC instead of contributors or SPS for originals? I'm quite happy to email you the game if you want to fix it and have KG include it in his packs once the patch is released. I reckon a WHD fix will be much more useful in the longer term than a simple clean ADF of this game (TOSEC inclusion undetermined atm), don't you?
All I'm saying is if Cody reconstructs a disk, it is not going to be the same as the original, and if anyone then submits it to TOSEC we have 2 versions.
I'd prefer Cody's reconstructed one was deleted by everyone and the original was spread, that's all. I don't use TOSEC either, I think it lost the plot several years ago and the only thing I use it for is when I search games on planetemu which presumably uses TOSEC names for the files.

And yes I'm glad WHDLoad doesn't rely on TOSEC for originals as you say! Too many of those almost blank ADF's due to a custom MFM game being ADF'd by someone lacking a few spuds of brainpower!
Old 01 May 2015, 14:38   #25
butfluffy

this game looks like fun guys but due to the age of this thread it's impossible to find which version from the tosec set is not corrupt before playing.
there is no cr General Zoff - Skylab version in tosec any longer let alone trying to find the fixed disk 2 adf for that set.
there is however 2 verions, one cracked by the movers and the other cracked by HQC.
does anyone know if either of these two sets are good versions with a non corrupted landscape file on disk 2?
Old 01 May 2015, 17:24   #26
mai

Both TOSEC disks 2 have different corrupt files, unfortunately still not marked as bad!
Should not be a problem to create working disk 2.
Old 01 May 2015, 18:51   #27
butfluffy

could anybody here who knows how please create a working disk 2 or upload the fixed disk 2 previously mentioned in this thread?
i would do it myself if i knew how and the game looks like fun.
Old 01 May 2015, 18:57   #28
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I've re-uploaded the fixed disk 2 to the Zone.
Old 01 May 2015, 19:08   #29
butfluffy

thanks so much
does the fixed disk 2 have to be played with any specific disk 1? i guess a better question is which disk 1 version is a verified good dump and works with the fixed disk 2?