English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 29 October 2006, 16:20   #21
MrA600HD
In rust, we trust.

Good responses people, just the kind I was hoping for !

keep 'em coming !
Old 29 October 2006, 20:08   #22
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Because even when I have had a really shitty day, coming home and looking over at my A1200 always makes me smile, and using it makes me forget all about what had upset me in the first place
Old 30 October 2006, 13:52   #23
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA
Because even when I have had a really shitty day, coming home and looking over at my A1200 always makes me smile, and using it makes me forget all about what had upset me in the first place
I totally understand what you mean

Actually when it comes to the A1200, i never thought i would ever like it more than the A500. But as time went on, all that changed. I guess also the fact that i only used my A500 from 1990 - 1993 and using my A1200 from 1993 - 2000 would have made the difference . LOL..

And after 6 years of hibernation, she came back this year!..
Old 31 October 2006, 02:30   #24
boing_1000
A1000 Addict

I stick with my A1000 because this computer was my childhood. I used to love playing this Sesame Street coloring game on it. I was using this computer since I was like 2. I first played Shadow of the Beast when I was like 4 or 5, same with Lemmings. I hold onto it because I miss my childhood so much, I can't even describe it.
Old 01 November 2006, 16:02   #25
MainCore

The OS !!!

The Amiga OS is truly a masterpiece. It can do multitasking even with 256KB and a Motorola 68000 @7.14Mhz (yes, you read it right KB and Mhz). Try to do the same with the other OS you all know...
Old 03 November 2006, 12:39   #26
the_Agent

Hello,

The Amiga 500 was my first computer back in 1989. All of my friends at this time told me to buy a C64 but I decided to invest some more money and bought an A500. Half a year later, all my friends bought one to :-)
First games where Marble Madness, Test Drive and Insanity Fight, which I played day and night. For a long time the hardware stayed the same and so the coders learned to to incredible things with it. Today, PC hardware is changing all the time and nowbody has to struggle with it anymore. If it doesn't run with 2.4 GHz, they say buy a faster one, thats sad. No hardware is pushed to the limits anymore.
It's a lot about the memories, but I play a lot with it these days. Especally Super Cars II, Bubble Bobble and Chaos Engine IMHO the greatest games ever.

Old 14 November 2006, 11:32   #27
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I used to have a serious gaming addiction that started on the Amiga and ended when I nearly killed my education with constant gaming (not only computer gaming but also Magic: the Gathering). For years I had to live without my old Amiga games and thought that I would never play them again which, to say the least, made me feel very unhappy because I'm a sucker for nostalgia. But then I discovered Winuae, EAB and planetemu in exactly that order and the addiction was back

During my "away time" I turned myself into an amateur game developer for fun and I'd been trying to recreate Amiga games in the past, to fill the void I guess. I would still do that today, but since I've gone back to school I'm getting so many programming assignments and projects that I have no time left for my personal projects

He, I can remember staring at blown up sprites in Amiga Format magazines and recreating them in my own pixelart utility back in the day. Other sprites I even recreated from memory :s
Old 19 November 2006, 08:30   #28
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainCore
The Amiga OS is truly a masterpiece. It can do multitasking even with 256KB and a Motorola 68000 @7.14Mhz (yes, you read it right KB and Mhz). Try to do the same with the other OS you all know...

In 1985 that was cool but in 2006 that don't mean assnuts in a jar.
Old 26 November 2006, 21:59   #29
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainCore
Spot on. It does the job plain and simple... solid as a rock too Great software and funky hardware...

Amiga =
PC =
ST =

I could goto bed with my A500's they're just the bestest.

P.S. I love the old Amiga vs. ST debate too as I can smack some ST users on the head

P.P.S. Mr. a500 I salute you sir, that's one GREAT quote

Last edited by Paul_s; 26 November 2006 at 22:05.
Old 26 November 2006, 22:06   #30
shillard

Windows = Corner Church.

Mac = Sunday School.

Amiga = Pagan sex magik under a full moon.
Old 26 November 2006, 23:29   #31
Xeon

It brings you back to the time that you really looked forward to getting a new game, that most of the times was rewarding. Not like these days with every game that comes out, you have the same BS upgrading and tweaking and this is after patching the freaking game a dozen times, and by the time all the bugs are gone by patching, the game dies.
Old 01 December 2006, 22:12   #32
Mike UK
Motorollin

Amigas I always thought its what a computer should of been the games arent trying to be anything else but good Computer games and not trying to be something its not aka film etc.

Was weird really the choice i had back when they got released was do you want a computer with a disk drive or a monitor lol (Amiga = disk drive PC = Monitor)
Old 02 December 2006, 15:13   #33
Photon

I enjoy not having to rely on others' code. Amiga (without graphics card I should say) is the most modern computer that allows you full control of the hardware at full speed. For me it's programming in either super high level languages or assembler. Not some ugly looking hack language in between.
Old 02 December 2006, 16:33   #34
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

mr_A500 sums it up for me, the Amiga was the last great HOME computer. It represents a lost concept as well as an era
Old 01 October 2007, 23:32   #35
WAKAMA

Why do we do it?

My first computer ever was an Amiga 500 with a hard drive. I have some of my favorite childhood memories playing on that machine with my friends.
Old 02 October 2007, 01:00   #36
Stokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I love the Amiga, because I can actually tell you where each and every system files lives on my harddisk!! I kinda know or can easily find out what each one does too!
This lets me tweak and hack and fiddle till my hearts content...

Now I dont what you guys think, but Windows seems to gleefully try and hide what it is doing from me....
That pretty much sums up why I prefer AmigaOS to Windows. Knowing what a file does, what wasn't there yesterday, what I can do without, is next to impossible with XP, even after being brutal with nLite.

Plus, it's the closest thing I've found to a single user, GUI oriented Unix. I recently set up WinUAE while my A4K is being rebuilt. Even though I've encountered problems getting things working the way I want, it didn't make me want to kick the machine across the room like Windows or Linux often does.
Old 02 October 2007, 03:26   #37
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i'm always on amiga because it's a shame that it disappear.
because every time i sold my amiga, i miss her then i buy back.
Perhaps there is a soul in this computer, i don't know.
Because others computers or consoles does not have surprised me year after year, i mean a so long time.You know when a game go out now it doesn't surprised me but when i saw amiga games first in magazines and after infront of a real amiga, whaou incredible : unreal, agony, beast 1, beast 2, cinemaware series and the music bitmap brothers etc...
And because i know the place of every libs, files etc in the workbench.
And because the amiga has continue to advance, ppc, 3d games, new programs, but all of this is shrinking dangerously.
amigaos4.0 seems to arrive on a1200 ppc and a4000 ppc, all seem to continue to move slowly then the amiga is not yet dead, and i can't let her gone.
So only we could have firefox and openoffice.
I hope, i wasn't too long i know :
Old 02 October 2007, 03:28   #38
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainCore View Post
I agree completely
Old 02 October 2007, 09:57   #39
Andec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
I like to use this quote (made by me, naturally):

"Amiga is the link between the mysterious originality of early computers and the boring tedium and painful stupidity of modern shit computers."

Meaning: Early computers were mysterious, interesting, original and most of all FUN. They were for intelligent hobbyists to use their intellect to make or do something interesting. Amiga was the ultimate pinnacle and sadly the last of the era of mysterious, interesting, original, fun early hobby computers.

The death of Amiga (or a few years before - the "dying of Amiga") marks the beginning of the era of boring "computing for the masses". The very nature of "computing for the masses" means it is no longer for intelligent hobbyists, but for every brain-dead moron and senile grandmother who needs to be shown repeatedly how to double-click. These masses of morons then decided with their ill-informed and stupid purchases, the garbage computers that would go on to be the most successful. The evil corporations making these garbage computers subsequently (and illegally) crushed all competition.

Computers now are about as interesting as a donkey's anus and about as fun as reading a Japanese phonebook while getting smacked across the face with an electric eel.
My sentiments exactly.

I came to the miggy (A500) later than most. But the miggy was the last truly home computer. PC's today are boring. I hate coding for them (unless it's C on Linux platform). Bring back the days when a compiler would fit on 2 or 3 floppies instead of 2 or 3 DVD's!
Old 02 October 2007, 10:46   #40
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500 View Post
The death of Amiga (or a few years before - the "dying of Amiga") marks the beginning of the era of boring "computing for the masses". The very nature of "computing for the masses" means it is no longer for intelligent hobbyists, but for every brain-dead moron and senile grandmother who needs to be shown repeatedly how to double-click. These masses of morons then decided with their ill-informed and stupid purchases, the garbage computers that would go on to be the most successful.
This quote hits it right on the head!, and i never actually thought of that way, but it certainly explains "exactly" why computing has become so boring now.

There couldn't truer words said