English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 13 August 2018, 11:26   #1
Glen M

CRG - Casual Retro Gamer youtube channel

Well I've gone and done it, something I've been toying with for quite a while now I took the plunge last week and finally uploaded my first youtube video on Saturday past.

So my channel "Casual Retro Gamer" is going to take a not so serious look at retro gaming, rather than a lot of channels at the minute that go to the Nth detail I will just be looking at retro games for what they are. Game reviews will be done in a lets play style plus I am intending to do pick up video, basic hardware tear downs and maybe a series showing the build of the man cave.

My first video looks at that time the Amiga tried its hand at a mode 7 style racer with Xtreme Racing.

My next video will also look at an Amiga game and will be uploaded on Wednesday this week (15th August)

I'm only starting out with this and I'll be the first to admit I'm not that good but with time I hope to get better. The video quality will also improve with time once I get my man cave built and can get my big PC setup again.

I would be most grateful for any comments, suggestions or criticisms.

Feel free to check out my channel at the following link

EDIT: I've changed the title of this thread, hopefully that is ok, to mirror a change to the youtube channel. I've changed things up with mid week CRG Plays episodes when I play through a game of choice then at the weekends its hardware discussion, repairs, mods.

Last edited by Glen M; 07 March 2019 at 16:11.
Old 13 August 2018, 21:53   #2
kriz

Subscribed Looking forward to see what you will do and what will happen next, respect for recording the real machine ..
Old 14 August 2018, 00:13   #3
Glen M

Thanks Kriz. I'm just finishing off the editing for my next video and it'll be uploaded tomorrow night.
Old 14 August 2018, 00:25   #4
-Acid-

I subbed as well but don't want to see "let's play" videos. What you did with Xtreme Racing was good explaining what is happening as you go, the hardware requirements and talking about comparisons with other games etc. But just sitting watching someone fumble through a game without anything else going on is boring, i'd rather watch a speedrun or 100% walkthrough than those type of videos.
Old 14 August 2018, 09:43   #5
Glen M

My next video will be uploaded later tonight night. Its similar to Xtreme Racing but I'm looking at a beat em up this time so it does move a bit slower, not as much to talk about. I do try to keep it as interesting as possible but I agree with your comments Acid. I don't want to be just sat there in the corner pressing buttons.
Old 14 August 2018, 10:35   #6
seuden
uber cool demi god

Subscribed.
Old 14 August 2018, 19:45   #7
Gordon
Settler

Good first start. You have a nice camera personality (if that's the right way to describe) But I think game reviews should be less than 10 minutes. I look forward to your future work!
Old 14 August 2018, 21:51   #8
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It's not my fave genre, but I can appreciate that you know your subject and I take my hat off to anyone who can deliver these kind of monologues off the top of their head and make it sound like a chilled out chat in the pub.

My advice for what it's worth is only take the spontaneity path when you're knowledgeable on a topic (as you have done here). So many people fire up a game they've never played before without doing the most basic research and the commentary consists of "I don't know what I'm doing, what just happened?, why am I stuck?". They get it uploaded ASAP and move onto the next game. What's the point in that? Maybe it's a numbers game?
Old 15 August 2018, 00:09   #9
Glen M

Episode 2 is now online

[ Show youtube player ]

Join me as we take a look into Fightin Spirit. For me personally the closest we ever got on the Amiga to a true Street Fighter clone.

So I did try this time to shorten the recording through editing but its still over 20 minutes. Maybe I should have cut more out rather than letting the game run at times but its my trying to ensure I cover everything and show enough of everything to get a feel for the game across. I find sometimes game review videos are over before they start but I think I'll find a natural video length the more I get into it.

I tried this time to script the intro and ending. Don't know to be sure maybe comes across a bit forced. I don't mind writing these types of things and they sound good in my head but by the time its out my mouth (when I can speak lol).... I'm not sure.

Give it a watch if you have time and as always I welcome any comments, suggestions or criticisms.
Old 18 August 2018, 00:48   #10
Glen M

Episode 3 is online

[ Show youtube player ]

With all the recent controversy surrounding ROMs I take a quick look at my history using them and I offer my solution to the problem

As always comments, suggestions or criticisms welcome.
Old 18 August 2018, 09:43   #11
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post
So I did try this time to shorten the recording through editing but its still over 20 minutes. Maybe I should have cut more out rather than letting the game run at times but its my trying to ensure I cover everything and show enough of everything to get a feel for the game across. I find sometimes game review videos are over before they start but I think I'll find a natural video length the more I get into it.

I tried this time to script the intro and ending. Don't know to be sure maybe comes across a bit forced. I don't mind writing these types of things and they sound good in my head but by the time its out my mouth (when I can speak lol).... I'm not sure.
It sounded planned in contrast to the gameplay commentary, but it wasn't awkward at all. Just be careful it doesn't get too formal or you'll have to change the name of the channel.

I wouldn't worry too much about hacking out segments to shorten it. People have fast forward buttons if they want to skip ahead. If you were going to tighten it up at all I suppose you could truncate any parts where you're not talking since that's what you're presenting that's unique. Anyone who only wants to see the gameplay footage can check out the longplay.

I've spent quite a bit of time with Fightin' Spirit myself and agree that it's the best one-on-one beat 'em up on the Amiga. It's amazing how far Light Shock managed to push our forsaken Miggy.
Old 18 August 2018, 10:30   #12
Glen M

Yeah I was thinking I need to get more casual in my reviews. The 3rd video about roms is even more serious lol.

Next video is going to be laid back.
Old 22 August 2018, 22:29   #13
Glen M

Episode 4 is online so join me when we take a look at a Capcom Plug and Play TV console.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 August 2018, 09:03   #14
Dynamic_Computi
10MARC

I will take a look at your channel. Sounds interesting. The more of us out there talking about our hobby the better! If you need to bounce editing ideas off anyone, let me know. I have been hitting Adobe Premiere pretty hard since I started my own Retro Cast at www.10marc.com
Old 26 August 2018, 22:43   #15
Glen M

Well no video this weekend as I was away. I have a new webcam to get setup and the cave is starting work soon so things are looking up. Next video will be online during the week.

I've had a few comments saying quality isn't good enough and I need to improve the setting but those things will come with time. I know it's 2018 and I know there are those youtubers that produce professional videos but I've started this channel with what I have to hand and yes it's amateurish but it will get better as I get more used to it.

Dynamic Computi, thanks for the offer but I'm happy enough to play with the editing software myself. I think I'm getting a bit better at it with each video so far. I'm using vsdc which is free (bonus) and really easy to get used to. Will do me for now.
Old 27 August 2018, 21:51   #16
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I vaguely remember having a quick dabble with VSDC and finding that it has some weird foibles that turn video editing standards on their head. Like the bottom track being superimposed over the top one. I seem to remember keyframes being a bit illogical too.

I don't suppose it matters if it's the first tool you've used and you're comfortable with it. Just be prepared to unlearn things if you switch. In my experience all video editors approach something or other in a way that makes no sense.

Interesting new angle you've hit upon there Marc. I can see that going down well with the diehard real Amiga techies.
Old 29 August 2018, 00:58   #17
Glen M

[ Show youtube player ]

Latest video is online were I take a look at Guardian on the CD32. This video is a bit different as I've removed my in screen video of me playing the game. The video is a lot short and more onto a game review rather than a lets play of the previous game videos. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this new style.

I've ordered a new capture card so hopefully once I get that and get setup, that along with my new camera and tripod will get the channel to a better looking state.
Old 01 September 2018, 20:15   #18
Glen M

[ Show youtube player ]

In my new video I take a look at the recently announced Streets of Rage 4
Old 09 September 2018, 15:54   #19
Glen M

[ Show youtube player ]

In this weeks video I take a look at 3 FPS games on the Amiga. Gloom, Alien Breed 3D and Fears. I will turn this into a series in the coming weeks/months and look at more games in this genre.

As always comments and suggestions welcome. If you watch the video I would be very grateful for a like or even a subscribe. My new man cave is coming together and will be finished in the next fortnight or so after which the channel will expand to cover a lot more platforms and show more hardware videos.
Old 11 September 2018, 18:27   #20
Zak
ZapĀ“em

My video request as described in this thread:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94173