English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 27 April 2018, 05:51   #1
jmmijo

Windows 10 Build 1709 Issue

Has anybody installed this update yet and did you have any issues ?

On my work VM it has apparently wiped out my user profile and docs, etc...

But I did some digging and possibly found that this update maybe creating a temp profile due to some unknown reason.
Old 27 April 2018, 11:30   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

We have deployed it since Janurary at work, no problems running updates through Software Centre, or imagining.
Old 27 April 2018, 14:33   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yes, was using version 1709 build 16299.x since last autumn and no issues, moved to a different SSD a few months ago, kept my profiles and programs, no problems.

For over a week now using version 1803 (build 17134.1 is currently RTM cause 17133.x had BSOD problems and was demoted) that's going to be deployed in ~2 weeks.
Old 27 April 2018, 14:43   #4
Leffmann

Works fine here, but there are some other odd issues I haven't seen before. One thing is that something that runs in the system with admin privileges (my own account is a plain user) keeps disabling Windows Defender real-time protection at random times.
Old 27 April 2018, 18:30   #5
jmmijo

Thanks for all the replies, it does appear to be a pretty random thing, found this article on Toms Hardware about this issue:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...d-account.html

Appears to be the Windows Update causing a temp profile creation during the update ?

Bookmarked the page and will attempt another update after my work shift on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

If it happens again which I bet it will then I will check this out and see if it works.
Old 27 April 2018, 19:09   #6
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
For over a week now using version 1803 (build 17134.1 is currently RTM cause 17133.x had BSOD problems and was demoted) that's going to be deployed in ~2 weeks.
Neither work with my gigabyte motherboard fan controller software so I have had to get back on the insider preview skip ahead version, 17655, surpisingly less issues all round.

MS haven't got round to adding the bugs yet.
Old 27 April 2018, 19:51   #7
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

When we did an upgrade at work from 1703 (Anniversary) to 1709 some of the features from the older version were depreciated within 1709 which caused no end of problems (would never sysprep after the upgrade due to Miracast).

The fix for Miracast is here: http://alexappleton.net/post/1597027...-display-media

The solution above made me (I remember saying to myself at the time "f*** this s***") and I ended up rebuilding from scratch using a 1709 iso.

I had another computer brought to me not so long ago where a different upgrade had trashed their user profile (ran a temp profile and couldn't access data through it), exported user data and wiped/started from scratch (and installed an SSD to help things along in the future).

Is it just me or are these 'huge' OS upgrades kinda silly? OK, if you have a speedy computer with SSD drive it's not that bad but sheer hell for those running a moderate i3 with a run of the mill hard disk. You can be looking at 2 hours plus sometimes for upgrades to go through (tablet PCs with low cost eMMC storage are dreadful for it).

Sorry ranting about it now... on the whole, 10 isn't that bad but I really want to get my mits on Windows 10 LTSB which does away with all the bloat.

Last edited by Paul_s; 27 April 2018 at 20:05.
Old 27 April 2018, 20:11   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Neither work with my gigabyte motherboard fan controller software
I'm not a FAN of software solutions when it comes to cooling, so many things can go wrong, ever since I've been overclocking my old Voodoo3 2000 and the software hang itself leaving me either at max speed or too low for the temp output...
Using the Gelid SpeedTouch 6 fan regulator here with seperate temp sensors.
Old 28 April 2018, 16:47   #9
Raid27
I have a joystick

If you tink Fall Update 1709 was bad, just remember that MS is close to releasing the Spring update any time now.
Old 28 April 2018, 23:13   #10
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid27 View Post
If you tink Fall Update 1709 was bad, just remember that MS is close to releasing the Spring update any time now.
Sure, but I may not have any trouble with that update
Old 29 April 2018, 19:48   #11
BarryB
Amigaholic

I'm sticking to LTSB 2016, will update that sometime in 2020 when M$ fix most of the bugs in LTSB 2019

I think only this version of 1607 will get updates after April 10th and Home/Pro users will be forced to update to get monthly security updates, very cavalier of M$ to do that, leave people vulnerable and force an upgrade to carry on getting security updates! It's just another example of M$ obsoleting an OS version to be more like Crapple
Old 29 April 2018, 20:12   #12
jmmijo

And it happened again but with the knowledge from that Toms Hardware Forum post I was able to reset back via a reg entry.

So strange that it appeared on this single machine rather than any others.

But I kept a print out of that reg entry so I could refer to it again if need be.

Old 30 April 2018, 09:14   #13
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I think only this version of 1607 will get updates after April 10th and Home/Pro users will be forced to update to get monthly security updates, very cavalier of M$ to do that, leave people vulnerable and force an upgrade to carry on getting security updates! It's just another example of M$ obsoleting an OS version to be more like Crapple
As most people get or got it for free, MS can do what they want as far as I'm concerned.

Sooner put up with constant updates, and new features than pay for it.
Old 30 April 2018, 21:21   #14
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
As most people get or got it for free, MS can do what they want as far as I'm concerned.

Sooner put up with constant updates, and new features than pay for it.
And there you have a prime example of bending over and letting M$ loose on yer butthole
Old 04 May 2018, 12:32   #15
Axxy

It seems that the 1803 update was made available on the 30th April. All I did was check to see if there was any Updates available, I had no idea there was a Spring update coming, which Windows duly downloaded even though I have it set to not download them.

And what a mess of an update it is. It's wiped out my gfx drivers and f*cked over email and some apps are not even working. I'm also noticing some very high disk/cpu usage when the computer is idle.

<grrr>

AV was also borked but I managed to get it working (after an uninstall/reinstall), with certain features still not functioning properly. I only usually get issues on the Laptop with updates, not on the desktop.

Last edited by Axxy; 04 May 2018 at 15:21.