English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 December 2020, 01:29   #441
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwallace View Post
If you're talking about the DVDs and CD-ROMs for 'home' use, that things like SINGE use, then they edit and manipulate the video to the point that they no longer line up framewise at all.
Yeah, I'm talking about the SINGE files as that's all anybody has been able to find.
Old 05 December 2020, 11:48   #442
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
There's two there, both Gallagher's Gallery - the MJPEG is a better quality and should be more seekable
Wow, the quality is much improved in this version
Old 05 December 2020, 13:28   #443
DamienD
disengaged

Did some comparisons running the old video vs. jwallace's new one in WinUAE.

Besides the much improved video quality; when watching the intro on the old video, it fails shortly after Gallagher says "Why it's a shooting game..." and resets the system.

With jwallace's new one you can view the full intro
Old 05 December 2020, 17:40   #444
jwallace

Yes, the old one is missing approximately 2 minutes of attract mode, all the credits and (and this is something the user wouldn't have known) a few minutes of blank screen. There's two segments with this blank space in the disc, and I'd think it was representing footage that had been cut, or other language.

As I say, if anyone has the DEXTER data for ALG games, this method is pretty robust now.

Although I would appreciate it if someone mirrored those videos on a more legitimate host, I don't seem to have Zone upload access.
Old 05 December 2020, 20:08   #445
DamienD
disengaged

Quote:
As I say, if anyone has the DEXTER data for ALG games, this method is pretty robust now.
There was a guy who posted in this thread that had some Dexter videos, but was unwilling to share: Westonboy88

Quote:
Although I would appreciate it if someone mirrored those videos on a more legitimate host, I don't seem to have Zone upload access.
Regarding the "XVID" version you did; as LanceT mentioned it's not available on the hosting site.

See here for access to The Zone!: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26201

It's only a temporary storage area though (60 days) and you are limited to 80MB files...

What you really need is an Amiga File Server account, but 50 posts are required for that.

I downloaded your file so can upload to the above though

Edit: Ok, have now uploaded all working ALG games to here: /Misc/American Laser Games

Last edited by DamienD; 05 December 2020 at 20:33.
Old 06 December 2020, 14:52   #446
DamienD
disengaged

Guys, what ever happened with these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Just FYI, a friend has managed to find a laserdisc of Mad Dog McCree 2 in English and rip it, but it might be a week or two before they can get around to uploading it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceT View Post
@DamienD... The thing about the yellow cross (player 1) is when the gun is in the holster it is not going to be at the center coordinates. It wouldn't show up on the screen until the gun is lifted. So even though it would still be there it would be hidden as the blue does on a two player machine.

Here is something I will leisurely be working on in my spare time. The crackle in the audio is due to me running in virtual box (win7) while running win 10 apps.
[ Show youtube player ]
Not sure if I should use the original video or the singe version.
Had to 1st convert the ogg sound files to mp3 in order to load them in after effects which accepted m2v video files.
Old 06 December 2020, 18:11   #447
jwallace

Thanks for the upload, I'm surprised the XVID version isn't up, but the MJPEG version is closer to the original in terms of quality, and of course, has more key frames so the seeking is better.

It should be the same base link for XVID, but the end is
'file/vsynqdic73xiqbn/ggXVID.avi/file'

The only advantage it has is it's a more commonly used codec, and it's a bit smaller, but I'm a quality snob so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

I have no desire to post for posting's sake, but if anyone can direct me towards actual laserdisc or .ldimg files for these I'll happily do the conversions. Not sure if I've already said this, but I'm pretty sure a user on here said they had them, but couldn't do anything with them (I want to say it was westonboy88, but I'm not sure of that name). I've tried reaching out, but so far no joy.

If anyone else is on the hunt or can help me, I believe the .ldimg was originally put together for a product called Dexter, which supported all known laserdisc games as a solid state player replacement, so there should in theory be a video for everything it purported to run.

Gallagher's Gallery is the freak of them all though, as I think the people with the home rights released everything else, with possibly the exception of Fast Draw Showdown, and that will look wrong in emulation as the game is designed to run on a rotated monitor in portrait configuration, which I don't think is an available setting. It also uses a holster switch, but I think that's the same as the reload one we already have, just mounted differently.
Old 21 December 2020, 22:02   #448
jwallace

Has anyone checked Platoon (one of the games we have full video for)? In theory, it's the ALG hardware with a different ROM scramble, but it looks a bit different when you merge the ROMs together, for one thing, the image doesn't seem to start with anything meaningful until $1000 (header notwithstanding), and the diagnostics seem utterly unscrambled.

I've attached a merged ROM for those people with more expertise to take a look, I don't know enough about the Amiga side to see if this is mapping correctly or not.

This is literally the one from Dragon's Lair Project merged into one file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Platoonv4merged.zip (118.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by jwallace; 22 December 2020 at 15:17.
Old 22 December 2020, 20:23   #449
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Afaik no one has reversed the ROM encryption yet.
Old 22 December 2020, 22:36   #450
jwallace

I see now, although it looks like it has a correct header right at the start of the ROM, there's a lot of padding straight after it instead of the 'correct' program.

I should have realised it wouldn't be that simple, but I'm prepared to see if I can find it. Of course, the assumption that it shuffles at the 0x7ff byte mark isn't guaranteed here, but I don't see why they'd reinvent the wheel when effectively they're piggybacking an existing hardware setup anyway (the dumping notes seem to suggest this was on an ALG RAM/ROM board).
Old 05 January 2021, 22:19   #451
jwallace

OK, so Platoon appears to have a standard header at the start of the ROM, and then at around $1000 in the file ($f01000 in mapped space) there's a softlock as it branches to itself (60.00.ff.fe)

Everything else looks like normal code, albeit in a number of languages which I presume is configured in the real thing. I know people were checking with wrip before - I can't on this but I'm wondering why there's something trying to execute there - there's only the one header at the top, after all