English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 September 2012, 01:20   #1
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Amiga going with the times

In this day and age, i feel the Amiga is slipping away into obivion.

Even though today, allot of history is re-made like Another World, Monkey Island series games, Giana Sisters, for the ipad,, (most are remakes, and i have to sadly say, there better in every way), this kinda slowly says "The Amiga is still a great machine, this thise older games can"t be remade due to copyright etc", but the games that are, i prefer these *new* ones over the old Amiga ones.

Slowly, i thnk this "trend" will slowly seep in, and eventually, the Amiga will become"a thng of the past"' even though not all will be available... As there are just some good stuff on the Amiga, that will NEVER hit the iPad, but what will happen, when you start thinking your beloved iPad is more fun than the Amiga?

And it will come .... Only time will tell.
Old 24 September 2012, 01:37   #2
Smakar
Amiga Fan in Phoenix

Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I've spent close to 20 years "keeping up with the times" on PCs, both in my professional life and as an avid gamer. Yes, I've had some wonderful times with PC games, particularly with games from Bethesda (Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim) as well as the two Witcher games. And 18 years after I boxed up my Amiga 500 and placed it in the attic, this summer I've brought it back down and booted it right up, because the games of the past which I'm replaying (Eyes of the Beholder I and II, Ultima series, and Forgotten Realms series) have a charm which modern games seldom match. It's the same reason I often prefer old movies, such as George Pal movies or anything by Ray Harryhausen, over newer movies with fancy special effects but empty characters and stories. Not to mention the dozens of Amiga games which I missed but are now available by download (legally). And given that I'm in my latter third of my life, I doubt I will get through them all before I go to that big Amiga in the sky.

I really, REALLY hope the Amiga isn't slipping away into oblivion. And seeing the activity on this board, as well as enhancements being developed (e.g. ACA500/ACA1220, and the Zeus68K) I'm very optimistic for the future of Amiga.
Old 24 September 2012, 01:53   #3
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
In this day and age, i feel the Amiga is slipping away into obivion.

Even though today, allot of history is re-made like Another World, Monkey Island series games, Giana Sisters, for the ipad,, (most are remakes, and i have to sadly say, there better in every way), this kinda slowly says "The Amiga is still a great machine, this thise older games can"t be remade due to copyright etc", but the games that are, i prefer these *new* ones over the old Amiga ones.

Slowly, i thnk this "trend" will slowly seep in, and eventually, the Amiga will become"a thng of the past"' even though not all will be available... As there are just some good stuff on the Amiga, that will NEVER hit the iPad, but what will happen, when you start thinking your beloved iPad is more fun than the Amiga?

And it will come .... Only time will tell.
Amiga isn't slipping into oblivion at all.

A cursory search on Google will tell you that much.

I have a PS3 and a Wii and a fairly powerful-ish PC. All of them can do games the Amiga couldn't remotely dream of.

However, a lot of modern stuff whilst polished and lovely to look at, rarely has much soul to it.

Without multiplayer, COD wouldn't be the phenomenon it is, crappy AI is hidden by the fact that most of the games are played against humans.

I can still play an Amiga game today and enjoy it as I can a PS3 game.
Old 24 September 2012, 19:47   #4
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

I don't have an iPad and I never will, for starters. Sure, people who are only into the Amiga for specific games/software might lose interest as those titles are ported to modern platforms, but a lot of us are into the Amiga because we like the Amiga. That's not going to change unless other platforms start becoming a lot more like the Amiga. AROS aside, that's more than slightly unlikely.
Old 24 September 2012, 21:07   #5
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Personally I find the Amiga is far too often ignored in general, especially amongst industry and development types.. Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs...We hear about these guys a lot...Whenever there's a documentary on TV about home computers the Amiga is lucky to get a passing mention...I'm not saying there's no recognition out there for the Amiga but considering how far ahead of the curve it was to everything else it just seems weird. Is the Amiga the black sheep of computing?
Old 08 October 2012, 02:04   #6
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

You wouldn't exactly see an Amiga in a business today though would you, for graphic development ?
Old 08 October 2012, 05:34   #7
commodorejohn
Shameless recidivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_Forever View Post
You wouldn't exactly see an Amiga in a business today though would you, for graphic development ?
No reason you couldn't...
Old 08 October 2012, 09:08   #8
moijk
License to Bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofchaos View Post
Personally I find the Amiga is far too often ignored in general, especially amongst industry and development types.. Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs...We hear about these guys a lot...Whenever there's a documentary on TV about home computers the Amiga is lucky to get a passing mention...I'm not saying there's no recognition out there for the Amiga but considering how far ahead of the curve it was to everything else it just seems weird. Is the Amiga the black sheep of computing?
Well, Eagerly awaiting the Viva Amiga movie:

http://vivaamigafilm.blogspot.no/

Next year people will at least get a documentary that highlights the Amiga. Not catering the uk ego as in the uk documentaries where Acorn and Sinclair are the highlights. or the US ones where Microsoft and Apple goes head to head.

But I could really like a Atari vs Commodore movie like the acorn vs sinclair one. that could be a fun one given the historical twists.