English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 April 2012, 14:19   #61
diablothe2nd

Also in the guide the partitions stated are:

FAT (windows)
Games (i assume this is also FAT, for windows)
AmithlonSys Fat 32 (this i assume is the 32mb partition i've created with the bootloader)
VirtualHDD which is the &76 partition referred to in the guide, should this literally be just a blank parition with VirtualHDD as a label?

EDIT - ok i think i've got this, found 76 in the list which states amithlon virtual disk... i think i've cracked it!

hold onto your helmets....

Last edited by diablothe2nd; 03 April 2012 at 14:28.
Old 03 April 2012, 14:27   #62
fishyfish
Banned

Well technically the amithlonvirtualdisk I speak of is a partition, but amigaos will see it as its own harddrive.

I'll go through it to avoid confusion, but it sounds like your "boot"/fat partition is all good and ready to go if its getting to the insert disk/kickstart screen.

Anyway, llive boot the aros disc and load aros hdtoolbox, select ata.device. You should then see your fat partition and whatever else you created. Delete everything that you created besides your fat partition. Then create a new partition that is the size of the remainder of your drive. Then use "chage type" on that partition and you'll get a list of options of which Amithlon VIrtual Harddisk is one of. Save that and you should be good to go and only need to be able to boot into the minimal os3.9 install amithlon provides. From there partition your "drive" (the amithlon virtual harddisk u created) and install amiga os (make sure u select boot on the partition you want to boot from, but I assume you knew that if youve got an amiga?)

There could be a crossed wire or two between us though as well as I dont know exactly what theyve done with the updated amithlon isos you got. Worst case scenario you could live boot with the updated one, and install with the original iso I linked to. Might worke. Just not sure how files, etc. are placed with the updated one (cant imagine its drastically different though)
Old 03 April 2012, 14:35   #63
diablothe2nd

thanks! i nailed it just before you posted it

it's a little unclear in any docs i've read about the &76 partition and what it is, and should/shouldn't do with it. i thought it was basically a primary partition with logical sub sections.

guess i over thought it! lol

thanks for the help, it's installing right now and yes, it's blazingly fast!
Old 03 April 2012, 14:43   #64
fishyfish
Banned

Cool, glad you got it sorted.
LIke I was saying last night it can seem a lot trickier than it actually is. Once a person gets thier head around what's actually happening though it's actually fairly straightforward (albiet a touch cumbersome).
Old 03 April 2012, 14:50   #65
diablothe2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
Cool, glad you got it sorted.
LIke I was saying last night it can seem a lot trickier than it actually is. Once a person gets thier head around what's actually happening though it's actually fairly straightforward (albiet a touch cumbersome).
yeah, if i had to do it again i think i'd managed it in under an hour it's all about popping the cherry

i just installed the icon in root of cd called "OS3.9+BB2+Updates" and.....

ZOMG

its beautiful, and still blazingly fast!!!
Old 03 April 2012, 15:11   #66
fishyfish
Banned

The thing I like about amithlon over (win)uae is the feel. It's hard to articulate the difference between them, but with amithlon it's like you can feel how close it is to the metal and it really does feel like a native system (I guess in some ways it is though).

I dont like to be negative towards winuae, cos its a great program and I can appreciate the technical side of it, but for me amithlon has always been my choice between the 2. It's like having a crazy fast draco machine as opposed to running a fast VM.
If I didnt have a real classic amiga then it'd be a bit more difficult choice (although there's a cool little tool called euaeload that makes it simple to be able to run custom hitting software through 68keuae fairly transparently), but seeing as I do it's no contest.

Good to her youre enjoying it and feel free to ask still if you have any questions.