English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 06 May 2024, 00:49   #1
albino

Street fighter 2

Just watched the youtube video of pixel shade regarding street fighter 2 AGA, very interesting give the feeling that amiga was underused.
Tough it focus specially on the AGA chipset, i was wondering what would be a perfect port with OCS chipset! I know it would be far behind an AGA port but would it be better than the SUPER STREET FIGHTER VERSION?
Old 06 May 2024, 05:08   #2
dreadnought

Sure, sure, that's one wound that hasn't been reopened enough
Old 06 May 2024, 07:27   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

You can have a look at these places to know about other people thinking :

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=105694

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=84957

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=113735
Old 06 May 2024, 07:57   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

Specially on that game (but also on other games) it's not really helpful to suggest that someone (but who?) ports a game, specially when it's been discussed to death, and when already 2 not so bad commercial versions (means people got paid during months) exist, and after all those discussions, no one started anything.

Getting Scorpion engine, getting the original sprite sheet, and trying something would be an improvement.
Old 06 May 2024, 10:11   #5
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
Just watched the youtube video of pixel shade regarding street fighter 2 AGA, very interesting give the feeling that amiga was underused.
Tough it focus specially on the AGA chipset, i was wondering what would be a perfect port with OCS chipset! I know it would be far behind an AGA port but would it be better than the SUPER STREET FIGHTER VERSION?
I do think it's worthwhile mentioning that the video in question was a mock-up and not running on actual hardware. While most/all of what is shown is technically possible on the AGA chipset, it's questionable if all these elements can be combined as shown in the video. IIRC, the way colours would need to be reloaded mid-scanline would rapidly become extremely tricky or perhaps even impossible.
Old 06 May 2024, 10:12   #6
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by albino View Post
i was wondering what would be a perfect port with OCS chipset! I know it would be far behind an AGA port but would it be better than the SUPER STREET FIGHTER VERSION?
Probably yes.
Shadow Fighter is the best example how far you could go with OCS/ECS type of Street Fighter 2 game.
[ Show youtube player ]

It's simply incredible how they achieved even parallax along with everything else. Even parallax on floor!
Although, if I would be that skilled coder, and code Street Fighter 2 in this type of engine, I would probably remove all parallax if it would give me more colors, or bigger characters, or more animation frames. Playability first!

Mortal Kombat 2 is another amazing coding example of how far 1VS1 fighting game can look and feel on OCS.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 May 2024, 18:44   #7
albino

It doesn't make any sense to me, if you compare shadow fighter to ssfighter 2 it have bigger sprite, more colors, plenty parallaxes....if freestyles coder had less skills why at least they didn't manages to improve the sprites or bobs size?
Old 06 May 2024, 19:20   #8
Cris1997XX

Can you guys drop these frickin' discussions already, pretty please? We've been talking about "the perfect Street Fighter 2 port on Amiga" for years and literally nothing happened, Super Street Fighter 2 on A1200 is probably the closest we will ever get unless someone actually starts developing a new version.
Old 06 May 2024, 19:54   #9
albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris1997XX View Post
Can you guys drop these frickin' discussions already, pretty please? We've been talking about "the perfect Street Fighter 2 port on Amiga" for years and literally nothing happened, Super Street Fighter 2 on A1200 is probably the closest we will ever get unless someone actually starts developing a new version.

EAB is bigger than the world, the purpose of a community forum is to talk about anything and nothing. If you don't feel ease with this topic or any others, feel free to avoid it. That's what i would do.
Old 06 May 2024, 20:15   #10
Megalomaniac

I think Super Street Fighter 2 didn't push the technical limits as well as Shadow Fighter (and Fightin' Spirit) did because it was made under different conditions. The latter were labours of love done by beat 'em up loving Amiga addicts who wanted to show the machine's full potential, and perhaps right that lingering wrong that SFII was so bad and Body Blows not much better. The former was a capable effort but made with a deadline and a maximum cost, with publishers who perhaps knew deep down that the Amiga (and, perhaps, 2D beat 'em ups) weren't as big as they once were.
Old 06 May 2024, 22:12   #11
jotd
This cat is no more

MK2 makes a lot of compromises (AFAIR R. Costello used only 8 colors for characters, allowing to reduce to only 3 planes to blit) but is a great effort. I prefered MK as MK2 gameplay is too hard...

Shadow Fighter is sure impressive, but it's a game built around the amiga limitations. Porting SF2 would require a lot of compromises like done for MK & MK2 so it can be smooth, likely to end up very close to the existing versions.
Old 06 May 2024, 22:17   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Is there no way SSF2 could be hacked for faster machines to use bigger graphics?
Old 06 May 2024, 23:21   #13
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roondar View Post
I do think it's worthwhile mentioning that the video in question was a mock-up and not running on actual hardware. While most/all of what is shown is technically possible on the AGA chipset, it's questionable if all these elements can be combined as shown in the video. IIRC, the way colours would need to be reloaded mid-scanline would rapidly become extremely tricky or perhaps even impossible.
Pixel Shade is actually making some impressive games running on real hardware.
So unless you're questionning his honesty, I don't think why what he shows would'nt be achievable on an A1200 if he says so.
There is probably a trademark reason why he didn't went further in this demo.

Last edited by sokolovic; 06 May 2024 at 23:27.
Old 06 May 2024, 23:30   #14
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

As far as i remember he recognized - like me - that the copper change halfway the scan was not feasible as he thought; this does not mean that a different method cannot be used
Old 06 May 2024, 23:35   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
So unless you're questionning his honesty, I don't think why what he shows would'nt be achievable on an A1200 if he says so.

even if it runs on A1200 (ok I believe him), going from a demo to implementing the whole game with A.I. and all characters & background is a long shot...
Old 06 May 2024, 23:45   #16
AestheticDebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post

One of the difficulties with coding on the Amiga is that it can be true you could do X with copper effects and true you could do Y with sprite tricks, but it doesn't mean X and Y are necessarily possible at the same time. And even if X and Y are both possible, they might have too large an impact on the blitter timing to do everything required.
Old 07 May 2024, 01:03   #17
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AestheticDebris View Post
One of the difficulties with coding on the Amiga is that it can be true you could do X with copper effects and true you could do Y with sprite tricks, but it doesn't mean X and Y are necessarily possible at the same time. And even if X and Y are both possible, they might have too large an impact on the blitter timing to do everything required.
Just add a 030 CPU and 4MB fastRAM as a requirement, you'll have less limitations for graphics
Old 07 May 2024, 05:02   #18
daver

a lot of games on the amiga could be improved if it was coded with support for better hardware and not be limited for stock machines. maby we should have a poll system where users could wish for games they would like to be improved and offer a bounty as an incentive for coders, would perhaps help getting the ball rolling.
Old 07 May 2024, 05:22   #19
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Indeed, but as amigan I thought that the "add more hardware and RAM" approach was in most cases not "kosher", and still now I have an hard time to go around it...
Old 07 May 2024, 07:26   #20
Pyromania

SSF2 redone for the Vampire V4 SA and add-on Amiga Vampire V4 boards would look amazing If done right.