English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 19 February 2013, 19:11   #21
jimmer78

Hmm,

Strange I updated to latest version of WUAE and now it will not boot in that either.

So I used diskpart to clean the card as recommend in Johns CF walk-through, but now Winuae wont even detect the card at all when in workbench using HDToolbox, doesnt come up using either the IDEo controller or the winuae controller!!!

Windows sees it as unallocated space 8G.

What do I need to do?

@fitzsteve, yeah was selected to boot...wish it was that easy!
Old 19 February 2013, 20:12   #22
jimmer78

fitzsteve I need your genius!
Old 20 February 2013, 00:10   #23
demolition
Unregistered User

Are you running WinUAE as admin? Otherwise it won't be able to use a blank card.
Old 20 February 2013, 15:40   #24
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I just did this - hdtoolbox could see a disk, but the status was 'unknown'. When I defined a new type and read the drive configuration, it had an error and said it was type 7, so I guess maybe that's why it won't work.

Wasn't there some software fix to this issue?
The type 7 error is strange. Maybe that's some bug in the ROM scsi.device. Normally, with a real SCSI controller, type 7 devices are optical memory devices; for example a magneto-optical drive.

A few years ago I developed a patch for HDToolBox so it works with both type 0 and type 7 devices. You can patch your copy of HDToolBox so it doesn't give the type 7 error.
Old 20 February 2013, 17:01   #25
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
The type 7 error is strange. Maybe that's some bug in the ROM scsi.device. Normally, with a real SCSI controller, type 7 devices are optical memory devices; for example a magneto-optical drive.

A few years ago I developed a patch for HDToolBox so it works with both type 0 and type 7 devices. You can patch your copy of HDToolBox so it doesn't give the type 7 error.
Yes, which is what I used in Edit 2 in that same post, which solved the problem. I think with Windows maybe it's a question of whether write cache should be enabled or not. With type 0 (fixed drive) cache is on and type 7 designates a removable type which should have no cache enabled (for quick removal)?
Old 20 February 2013, 17:22   #26
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Yes, which is what I used in Edit 2 in that same post, which solved the problem. I think with Windows maybe it's a question of whether write cache should be enabled or not. With type 0 (fixed drive) cache is on and type 7 designates a removable type which should have no cache enabled (for quick removal)?
Removable/fixed is separate from the drive device type. For example Zip, Jaz, SyQuest etc. are type 0 removable drives since they're not optical. It's probably some strange bug in the A600/1200 scsi.device SCSI emulation which causes HDToolBox to get confused. Maybe it returns bogus data in the first byte of the INQUIRY data for some CF cards?
Old 20 February 2013, 17:25   #27
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmer78 View Post
Hmm,

Strange I updated to latest version of WUAE and now it will not boot in that either.

So I used diskpart to clean the card as recommend in Johns CF walk-through, but now Winuae wont even detect the card at all when in workbench using HDToolbox, doesnt come up using either the IDEo controller or the winuae controller!!!

Windows sees it as unallocated space 8G.

What do I need to do?

@fitzsteve, yeah was selected to boot...wish it was that easy!
Perhaps this helps:

in diskpart enter

select disk n
create partition primary
delete partition

or in Windows disk management right-click on the grey area left of the unallocated space and select "initialize disk" from the menu. Initialize as MBR, not GPT.
Old 20 February 2013, 18:29   #28
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I did debug this some time ago: "Type 7" error is ROM IDE scsi.device "feature". Emulated SCSI Inquiry returns device type 7 if IDE Identify Device command returned data has word 0 bit 15 set ("reserved for non-magnetic drives" says ATA-1 spec, later specs say "ATA device if zero")

But after ATA-4 or so, word 0 bit 15 is set if drive supports "CFA feature set" (Some CF specific commands supported). Weird redefinition.

EDIT: My theory is that bit 15 was supposed to mean optical drive in some preliminary IDE CD spec but it was dropped and replaced with SCSI over IDE (ATAPI), I guess probably due to backwards compatibility reasons and because CD is much more complex than HD. (HD is just a chunk of linear blocks, CD has tracks and sectors have different sizes etc..)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 20 February 2013 at 19:10.
Old 20 February 2013, 19:51   #29
jimmer78

Ah, I ran as admin and it works! Thanks demolition.

Doh!