English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 06 October 2017, 02:28   #21
Franchute13
Registered User
Franchute13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Argentina
Posts: 234
Limbo running C64 :P
[ Show youtube player ]
Franchute13 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 06 October 2017, 11:24   #22
S0ulA55a551n
Registered User
S0ulA55a551n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rhondda, Wales
Age: 41
Posts: 490
I hadn’t seen the 64 version. Very impressive. Is that stock ? I never suggested that the Amiga couldn’t do a port just that why limit it to a stock machine. What serious Amiga user is running a stock machine in this day and age ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S0ulA55a551n is offline  
Old 06 October 2017, 11:29   #23
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I hadn’t seen the 64 version. Very impressive. Is that stock ? I never suggested that the Amiga couldn’t do a port just that why limit it to a stock machine. What serious Amiga user is running a stock machine in this day and age ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lots of Amiga users use stock machines to play games how we used to and remember.
Not everyone wants to pay over the odds for outdated hardware to try and force the Amiga into this century, it died in the 90s get over it!
Amigajay is offline  
Old 06 October 2017, 11:31   #24
S0ulA55a551n
Registered User
S0ulA55a551n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Rhondda, Wales
Age: 41
Posts: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Lots of Amiga users use stock machines to play games how we used to and remember.

Not everyone wants to pay over the odds for outdated hardware to try and force the Amiga into this century, it died in the 90s get over it!

I ran a stick Amiga for very little time so to me remembering was always an expanded 500 and then really expanded a1200. Even back then. Don’t get why everyone wants to limit the potential of poets by running an 500 with 1/2 meg ram.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S0ulA55a551n is offline  
Old 06 October 2017, 11:36   #25
Amigajay
醉拳
Amigajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I ran a stick Amiga for very little time so to me remembering was always an expanded 500 and then really expanded a1200. Even back then. Don’t get why everyone wants to limit the potential of poets by running an 500 with 1/2 meg ram.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We didn't mention an A500, I suggested an 2mb 020 with options to increase detail for faster CPUs, hardly limiting potential if you can change the options.
Amigajay is offline  
Old 06 October 2017, 11:49   #26
Steril707
OCS rocks!

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 370
For me as a coder, I wonder what the appeal would be for a "somehow inbetween" version of Limbo.

First off, if I want to play Limbo, I can do that on around 3 or 4 different devices in this household.

The C64 version is impressive, because it's taking what the C64 has to offer, and pushes it to its limits.

If somebody took a stock Amiga, and made something comparable with the Blitter, Sprites and Coppermagic the Amiga has to offer, it would be fascinating for me.

Using a 030-config with the sole intention to use the faster CPU to bring more stuff unto the screen sounds boring to me.

Your mileage may vary, off course...
Steril707 is offline  
Old 06 October 2017, 14:45   #27
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 19,265
Yeah that is always a question, if you are going to do a port, you have the skills, why not do an original game?

The issue usually comes down to content creation. When porting, you have everything laid out for you already: the level designs, graphics and style, music... all you have to do (almost) is put it together. Usually also games are initiated by coders, who might not want to deal with getting someone else involved with those other departments, so a port is tempting in the fact that you can maybe do it all on your own.

Sure, Limbo on the C64 is impressive, but as you said, it's a game available on so many other platforms, that beyond the novelty of "wow that runs amazing", dunno what extra value it might have.

PS: lots of people prefer stock machines. I know I do. I have even taken the accelerator out of my A1200. Runs more stable without that piece of shit in it and the constant fiddling and arm wrestling with it for stuff to run properly!!
Another important stock configuration is the CD32. A lot of us love that thing, personally I use it as my main Amiga gaming platform.

Accelerators only ruined hardware milking in the Amiga. If we had none, the level of code prowess you see coming out of the C64 would also be a thing on the Amiga.
Akira is offline  
Old 06 October 2017, 15:25   #28
Steril707
OCS rocks!

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Munich/Germany
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Accelerators only ruined hardware milking in the Amiga. If we had none, the level of code prowess you see coming out of the C64 would also be a thing on the Amiga.
This!
So much...
Steril707 is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limbo Of The Lost killergorilla HOL data problems 6 03 August 2014 14:09
Lost in Limbo CD32 wakeupbomb request.Old Rare Games 8 03 July 2008 03:28
Limbo of the lost is here MrX_Cuci project.aGTW 33 20 June 2008 19:15
Limbo. (A Loco Roco clone? for the PC?) Shoonay Retrogaming General Discussion 4 09 January 2008 12:32
aGTW: Limbo of the Lost Playable demo viddi project.aGTW 2 22 February 2007 10:53

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.06593 seconds with 13 queries