English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 09 January 2018, 14:25   #2121
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

A few entries that passed my eyeballs: Netflix's Bright. Quite okay, but ultimately not really too out of the ordinary. It's a great concept for something better in a future movie, this ends up being a sort of origin story that boils down to a weird crossover of a David Ayer "guys with guns" movie and orcs and elves fantasy, with the odd joke thrown in for good measure. That concept alone keeps the interest alive long enough, but don't expect to give the movie much thought after it finishes. IMO they were too conservative with this, if they had made it full on wacky it would probably have left more of a lasting impression. 6/10

Kong: Skull Island. Definitely better than Godzilla and there were a few scenes that I thoroughly enjoyed; Kong is handled with respect too. But... meh. The military dudes want to shoot up the place aspect of it fell very flat for me. Conceptually it seems like the movie is split between being devised by a person who had the imaginary force of a child and a person who had no imagination at all; I wonder if the same duo worked on Avatar. 6.5/10
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 January 2018, 22:29   #2122
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Kong: Skull Island soundtrack is far better than movie as whole.

It had some retro feel that I did not find in other n-th 'sequal/remake'.
Old 21 January 2018, 21:07   #2123
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

A movie that could have been the next Star Wars, if only the main character, Valerian, wasn't the biggest douche nozzle in the world. I wanted to blame the actor picked for the role, but no. It's just the role itself. How to self-sabotage: make your main hero a weirdo that looks like a teenager with a split personality where one is a jerk and the other is a sleezeball.

And make his partner, Laureline, a hottie with an equally split personality; I wonder what the instruction for Cara Delevingne was; we're going to show you off in a really skimpy bathing suit [ Show youtube player ] right off the bat, for the remainder of the movie try to be as unappealing as possible. It'll be edgy. Her interpretation: basically act like a teenager with mood swings. Ugh.

But that's really all I can spit on in this film, other than that it's an inventive piece of work that blows the imagination. Even after several series and many seasons of Star Trek, I was still surprised by some of the creations in there. It starts really strong (David Bowie + Rutger Hauer: applause) and from that strong opening really cannonballs into different levels of zanineness. I'm not even going to spoil any of it, just go see it with your own eyes.

The movie has its flaws; it tries to be funny at times but doesn't really succeed and Clive Owen was just a terrible choice, he really needs to let his Sin City performance go at some point. But all that just takes a backseat to the true marvel of the movie: the vast, colorful and diverse universe that has been sculpted for it and boy does the movie deliver.

Great world, decent story, spectacular CGI (the movie is 99.9% CGI by the way), good side characters, god-awful hero characters. Definitely worth spending 2 hours with.

7/10
Old 21 January 2018, 21:16   #2124
DamienD
Global Moderator

Yeah it was ok; nothing special

6/10 or maximum 7/10 in my books...
Old 26 January 2018, 15:44   #2125
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I actually liked and enjoyed watching 'Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets'.

I agree, it was somewhat questionable to select main character, and tell the truth, I had no idea that Cara Delevingne was enchantress in Death Squad, and she pulled her part well in this movie.

Presentation is really breath taking and I really liked all CGI that imho it was really well done.

Too bad there most likely will not be follow ups on this movie. I really like good science fiction movies.

7.5 / 10
Old 28 January 2018, 21:22   #2126
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I just watched the remake of "It".

Not bad at all, bring on chapter 2
Saw it yesterday. It was alright, but rather than make it a psychological horror they went for full on gore and monsters. Which is alright, it makes it less of a retread of the dated miniseries.

Nice special effects, some real attention to detail there.

6.9/10
Old 30 January 2018, 17:19   #2127
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.

Definitely better than the first movie in some ways; love Krang, Love Bepop, Love Rocksteady. Really well done character designs. Also some good humor here and there.

Don't love the age old sequelites problem where family problems become a plot point. It's the Turtles, you can make up any bullshit story and make it work and then it is the old "oh noes, we feel so undervalued in this team" deal. Pick up a comic book or watch a cartoon episode and draw some actual inspiration from something, please :/

Also don't love how Shredder is just pointless in this movie and acts completely out of character. Again: so much potential to just make Shredder and Krang go ape shit together and actually pose some sort of a threat before screwing each other over to be top dog. But nope, poor writing all around.

6/10
Old 05 February 2018, 15:43   #2128
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Atomic Blonde (2017) - Before watching this movie, I was thinking this will be another Jason Borne/Bond movie, with main character killing everyone with still well made hair and not a single scratch. Well, that didn't happen, instead you see well made action movie, spy network in East Germany, the wall and well played characters, including James McAvoy, Charlize Theron and Sofia Boutella. Add to that nice romance between Theron and Boutella - reason more to watch the movie.
Police and secret agents brutality reminds me of some stories I heard from folks from east part of Germany while living in Germany in first half of 90s. (For short time I was working in Leipzig)

Good movie - 7.5 / 10
Old 16 February 2018, 15:16   #2129
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Caught Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix, a documentary about people of different levels of obesity that get caught up into juice diets. It's rather feel-good in nature, I enjoyed watching it. If you are too big or even obese it may be very confrontational however.

I'm not a fan of juice diets or juicing in general, I think destroying the natural fiber structures of fruits and vegetables is very counterproductive to what you want to achieve; not to mention taking away the necessity to chew which is an important factor in the digestive process. I can't deny the results shown in this docu though (which are probably not shown exactly as it happened as it is and remains an edited piece of film), for people wickedly obese it may not be such a bad thing to do this as a hard reboot of the system.

60 days of it still seems excessive and may cause some damage if done to the wrong body. If you do something like that, by golly do so under constant supervision. just winging it is how people end up permanently damaging their organs.

7.5/10; fun, inspirational but can use a bit more instruction to it regarding medical supervision.
Old 16 February 2018, 17:10   #2130
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Very often I would watch a movie that I heard about in this topic, and this is one of instances, rather bad one.

Saw Killing Gunther (2017) - and all I can say - how in the world would they give it that high score on IMDB?! F-that, movie is trash, junk, not funny or even interesting. IMHO 1/10 is bit too high for that movie.

Now, talking about movie that got me surprised - Hitman's Bodyguard (2017). Jackson and Reynolds are really good mix and I was expecting somewhat good comedy, instead we got quite well made action filled with humor and somewhat interesting plot with twist of who is 'good' or 'bad'. This is also first movie that I've seen Salma Hayek swear in both Spanish and English. Definitely worth watching! 8/10
Old 18 February 2018, 00:20   #2131
DamienD
Global Moderator

Just finished watching Baby Driver.

Decent movie and entertaining
Old 18 February 2018, 16:12   #2132
DamienD
Global Moderator

A friend recommended Dredd; pretty cool

Way better than the Stallone one i.e. Judge Dredd...
Old 18 February 2018, 21:53   #2133
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like them both in their own way. Dredd is cool and actually has some properly written bad guys; don't really like Lena Headey but in that movie she kicks ass. Judge Dredd is very campy and quotable with cartoony bad guys, exactly how a sci-fi action movie from the 90's was supposed to be.
Old 26 February 2018, 20:45   #2134
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Saw Black Panther with my son, and just like all Marvel movies, Disney made this one another eye candy with good action, acting and just right mix with jokes. I must say that Michael B. Jordan played his evil part so well, and unlike in many cases where evil character does not have good reason to act as he is, this one is well made story addition to Marvel universe.
Also to mention Mr. Serkis, with continuation of his character from Avengers: Age of Ultron.
As I was too lazy to check what time movie starts, best option was to see it on IMAX, and as this was really eye candy - well worth the money.

8/10
Old 04 March 2018, 20:53   #2135
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

London Has Fallen

An unnecessary sequel to Olympus Has Fallen. Its standard boom boom bang bang stuff; Gerard Butler still looks like a badass with an automatic weapon in his hands. Its kind of fun to see London being assaulted, bombarded and demolished, that's about as much you will be able to get from the movie.

5/10

I wonder what the next one will be. Berlin has Fallen? Moscow has Fallen? Tokyo has Fallen?
Old 07 March 2018, 15:51   #2136
blade002
Zone Friend

There is NOTHING worth seeing now, the movie industry is literally dead.

The ONLY decent thing I've seen within the American film industry of late is Blade Runner 2049, a work of art.

Audiences need to stop paying for crap and demand more, more than Comic Books and play it safe material.

BUT... this was ALSO fantastic.

Loving Vincent
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by blade002; 07 March 2018 at 16:29.
Old 08 March 2018, 14:08   #2137
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

That is just a BS talk...

Sure there are always good movies to see, that will surprise you.

As for comic book movies, most are really well made and enjoyable experience. Not sure why you bash them.
Old 08 March 2018, 21:05   #2138
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I mean there aren't many movies that leave a deep lasting impression, but then again those were always the rare gems. surely there are fewer now though, even the ones that should be amazing based on historical pedigree (Alien: Covenant...) really aren't.

That just means we need to celebrate those rare gems like Blade Runner all the more intensely

Meanwhile I saw Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV. A friggin' 2 hour companion movie to the game.

Beautiful CGI with really poor lip syncing (I guess the software is optimized for Japanese text...), it starts rather confusing just dumping you into events with very little ways of understanding what's going on. During the movie you don't really get much opportunity to get to know any characters, they're just there doing stuff and they're all just made of wood. There are lots of visually spectacular action scenes involving impossible physics and huge monsters - in true Square Enix style its animated in a very chaotic and shaky-cammy way, I guess you need a 120hz 4k television to really catch what's going on at all times.

So it ain't exactly Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children but it was a good 2 hours nonetheless. It's cool to see the magic trickery performed in the game being done with far more graphical detail. And speaking of those huge monsters... I had a bit of a nerd-gasm when I noticed which enemies are stomping around in there exactly. Even if this movie does its very best to have nothing to do with Final Fantasy (not even a victory tune anywhere!), that is all reversed when it comes to the bestiary.

6.5/10
Old 08 March 2018, 22:11   #2139
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
The ONLY decent thing I've seen within the American film industry of late is Blade Runner 2049, a work of art.
Totally agree my friend; the best movie of last year without doubt

Followed by Dunkirk

...and yes, I too are sooooo bored of all these silly comic book movies.
Old 09 March 2018, 00:46   #2140
malko

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.
Definitely better than the first movie in some ways; love Krang, Love Bepop, Love Rocksteady. Really well done character designs. Also some good humor here and there.
[...]
Scenario is far from quality and I found the film really so-so.... Maybe too much CGI with turtles full to bursting with growth hormones . Fortunately there is Megan Fox ...
My preference goes to the three originals films that were made in the '90.
AdSense AdSense