English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 30 September 2016, 03:48   #61
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

How to use it?

I want to post now HOW can you use the Retro Image Tool, as it's my favourite tool for converting images to 16 colors.

Well, first you have to get an image to fit with your existing Palette.

How?

First you have to be using the amount of colors you want for the palette you are going to create. Then open your FullPalette prefs (Sys:Prefs/FullPalette) and then you can see an image of the palette you are actually using. Extend that window to be larger.

Then open the SGrab program and using the "Mark & Grab" option select the images of the colors of your palette only and save that image for example as "16 colors Palette.png" or "256..." depending on the amount of colors you are using. That will be your palette now.

Then open the "Retro Image Tool" page. http://tool.anides.de/
You just click on the page and then it appears an image. No tool, anything there. What do you do? You've got to close (right top) the existing image. Then you click on the empty screen. Then a window pops out so you can select an image of your PC. You then select the image of the palette that you've created, for example the "16Colors Palette.png". That image will appear then.

On the left select then the image to be shown as "Original" (the top option) and click on the Check mark to be set as default -your palette now-. Then you click again on the empty screen and then you can select another image. Select the one you want to convert to the palette you've installed. It will take a while sometimes to appear -and it can't be an iff image- and then select it to use "Global" as colors. Then it will be converted to your palette.

Click on the top right, "Save" and it will be saved in your Downloads folder. ... That's it.

Last edited by Retrofan; 29 October 2017 at 02:30.
Old 08 October 2016, 17:03   #62
pandy71

Dreaming about something like this http://www.leonik.net/dml/sec_pcs.py for Amiga... it is really strange that Atari ST outperformed Amiga on this area not due of hardware superiority but programmers skills on Atari.
Old 06 October 2017, 01:17   #63
AnimaInCorpore

Some news after almost one year: HAM loading added. Now you can watch those images as well. File name for saving is now derived from the original name. WIP: PCHG mode support.
Old 06 October 2017, 01:25   #64
Marcuz

Great news! Thanks mate!
Old 06 October 2017, 12:11   #65
AnimaInCorpore

PCHG loading implemented.
Old 20 October 2017, 09:46   #66
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Just want to drop by to say that this tool is really amazing, and saves me a lot of work when prototyping graphics for my Amiga game projects..
Thanks a lot, man!

If there is one thing that I'd really love to have, it'd be the ability to save images as bmp.

Any possibility to get that?

Plus, could anybody give me some hints about how to read in pchg iff format in asm?

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 20 October 2017 at 10:24.
Old 20 October 2017, 13:19   #67
AnimaInCorpore

Great to hear that the tool is helpful for you. Thanks.

So do you need a „PC compatible“ format to work with or the BMP format in particular?

For the PCHG format I would take a look at Aminet. AFAIK there are some libraries to be found.
Old 21 October 2017, 13:22   #68
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

It's not only helpful, but really gives me lots of creative ideas...
Awesome piece of work...
Old 12 December 2017, 07:06   #69
AnimaInCorpore

The new upcoming version of the "Retro Image Tool" is available for testing at this address:
http://tool.anides.de/new/

Using the latest Firefox browser is recommended.

Please note that the full functionality isn't available yet and will be updated in an non regular manner but you can have a look on the new UI. Also note that at the time of writing only loading (JPEG, PNG, GIF and IFF) and the "presets" are implemented so far.

Feedback of ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:13   #70
nobody

Maybe you could improve it by adding a color histogram check (usage % of every color in the image)?

This is original image about 128 colors,

This is how the previous version converts it to 16 colors

And this is how i converted it manually by checking every color importance in histogram and merge with a nearby color.

Old 23 May 2018, 19:18   #71
JellybeanStylin

Could you possibly make an offline version in case you, or your site, dissapears? There are no tools like this that I know of, and doing it manually is a pain. Great work. I love this tool.
Old 23 May 2018, 19:40   #72
AnimaInCorpore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellybeanStylin View Post
Could you possibly make an offline version in case you, or your site, dissapears? There are no tools like this that I know of, and doing it manually is a pain. Great work. I love this tool.
Thanks.

Just download the following files to the same local folder:
Code:
http://tool.anides.de/index.html
http://tool.anides.de/main.js
http://tool.anides.de/quantize.js
http://tool.anides.de/sw.png
Then start it by double click on "index.html". Please note that Chrome refuses loading from the local file system automatically so the inital image is not shown.

Last edited by AnimaInCorpore; 23 May 2018 at 19:40. Reason: Cosmetics
Old 27 May 2019, 12:24   #73
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Wow, that's fantastic, thanks.

Is there a way to get it to batch process images?
Old 29 May 2019, 12:03   #74
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

It turns it already kind of does batch processing. Drag and drop loads of pics at once and it'll crunch through them in sequence. Nice.

Here's my demo results...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 June 2019, 00:48   #75
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Can "checks" be given a variant that only dithers in the X axis (i.e., produces alternating columns of vertical lines similar to that commonly seen on the Mega Drive)?
Old 05 November 2019, 13:03   #76
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I think the "EHB" setting doesn't produce anything different from just 32 colours at the moment?

I remember that this was working in an earlier version of the retro image tool... :/
Old 29 November 2019, 19:01   #77
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I found this thread on this retro image tool by accident as I was looking for a way to convert images down to retro sizes...and BAM...found my dream tool!

Firstly, I need to thank you for all of your hard work!!

Secondly, sometimes I need to be able to remap images to my palettes perfectly, and your tool does that...no other tool does that as far as I am aware!

Please could I request a downloadable version for offline work? I understand if this isn't do-able.

I am hoping to create some CRT rendered screenshots of Scourge of the Underkind for promotional use, I will of course credit your fantastic program for that.

Thankyou again, so much.
Old 29 November 2019, 20:10   #78
Megol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNipple View Post
<snip>
Please could I request a downloadable version for offline work? I understand if this isn't do-able.
<snap>
Simply right-click on the background and save the complete page then click the saved .html file.
Old 29 November 2019, 20:28   #79
redblade
Zone Friend

He just posted above for the old version that it's javascript files, and you can download them locally onto your computer.

main.js
quantize.js
remap.js

An amazing tool
Old 01 December 2019, 13:27   #80
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
He just posted above for the old version that it's javascript files, and you can download them locally onto your computer.

main.js
quantize.js
remap.js

An amazing tool
Fantastic! Thanks for the help guys!

Is work continuing on Retro Image Tool 2? I hope so