English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 April 2010, 11:18   #1
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Amigakit's 4 Way Buffered IDE

Mostly just to get a CDRom going for now on my Tower (Since the SCSI is gone) I've bought a 4 way Buffered IDE from Amigakit. I know it won't be very fast on the native IDE but at least ti will be functional for now...

I'm going to be using the 2.5in HDD on the first port and CDRom on the 2nd port, I'm guessing the adapter the below should work on the secondary HDD IDE port, but I'm wondering if I can use it 'FAT' formatted (like my CF on the PCMCIA) or does it have to be FFS. The latter wont be a big deal as I can transfer files to it via WinUAE but I'd prefer FAT to be honest.

Thanks Guys

Steve.
Old 29 April 2010, 11:31   #2
thomas

If you follow the various threads about CF-IDE adapters in this forum you will notice that many CF cards refuse to work when used as slave together with another device. So you should consider connecting HDD and CD as master and slave to the first channel and the CF adapter alone to the second channel of the 4-way kit.

Also to run a CF card together with IDEfix software, you need some patches for IDEfix. You'll find links in some threads on this forum, too.

Regarding FAT, yes it is possible to access a FAT formatted HDD or CF card. It's not recognised automatically, though. You need to install FAT95 software and create a mountlist a.k.a. dosdriver.
Old 29 April 2010, 11:42   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If you follow the various threads about CF-IDE adapters in this forum you will notice that many CF cards refuse to work when used as slave together with another device. So you should consider connecting HDD and CD as master and slave to the first channel and the CF adapter alone to the second channel of the 4-way kit.

Also to run a CF card together with IDEfix software, you need some patches for IDEfix. You'll find links in some threads on this forum, too.

Regarding FAT, yes it is possible to access a FAT formatted HDD or CF card. It's not recognised automatically, though. You need to install FAT95 software and create a mountlist a.k.a. dosdriver.
Thanks Thomas, I had a search and found stuff about CF/s and IDE fix already that I will follow, it was the FAT formatting I couldn't find on the search but you've given me some keywords to follow

Also just to give a little more info on why I want to do this... I have a nice little 256mb CF card that I use to transfer files to my A1200/A600 and it has all my useful files already on there and it would be nice to be able to pop this in the back of the tower when I want to transfer stuff. I know that it will not be hot swappable, but thats ok my miggy boots real fast

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 29 April 2010 at 11:49.