English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 February 2010, 18:06   #1
Washac

Amiga to VGA

Hi All

Seeing as Amigas look blocky on Flatscreen TVs I am thinking of going the VGA route.

You can get flatscreen VGA monitors for quite nice prices these days.

I could search this out via Google as to what exactly I would need to connect the Amiga to VGA, cables, convertors etc.

Good to ask people who more than likely have done or are doing this and have the correct knowledge.

Thanks for reading
Old 12 February 2010, 19:23   #2
thomas

Why do you think a flatscreen monitor would look different than a flatscreen TV ? The TV is just the same as a monitor plus a tuner.
Old 12 February 2010, 19:26   #3
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Agreed. It will look exactly the same as it does on the TV.
Old 12 February 2010, 20:20   #4
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Why do you think a flatscreen monitor would look different than a flatscreen TV ? The TV is just the same as a monitor plus a tuner.
Hi

Do you know something, I dont know why I thought it would look any different.

I have an old Commodore 1084S which is a bit grubby but it still works, seems I'm gonna
have to give it some TLC in respect of a new D type input socket, it has got wobbly over
the years and causes the screen to flick different colours now and then, mains switch is
knackered also, dont know where I will get one of those though. I can feel a project
coming on

Last edited by Washac; 12 February 2010 at 21:24.
Old 12 February 2010, 23:58   #5
Cammy

Your Amiga output will look better on a CRT monitor than it will on any LCD screen because the screen adjusts itself to the resolution you're outputting. If you have an Indivision for your Amiga, it will convert all signals to something a CRT VGA monitor can handle, and it will look just as good or better than it did on your 1084 monitor. If you use an Indivision and a LCD monitor you will notice that the image looks slightly blurred because the pixels are interpolating between each other to fill in the gaps between the pixels that are being output from the Amiga. The same thing will happen if you use an S-Video adapter and a LCD TV. The only way to avoid the blurry pixel look from an LCD screen is to run your Amiga in the same native resolution as the monitor. Since the highest resolution an AGA Amiga can output with the Indivision is 1024x768, you could find yourself a 15" LCD monitor with this native resolution, and your Workbench and applications will look very nice on the monitor (provided you're running in HighGFX mode) but your games will look pretty bad. A 320x256 game, for example, is doubled in size and then centred inside a 800x600 or 640x480 output, depending on what your monitor detects. Either way, you get a big black border around your games, or you get 16 lines cut off.

Last edited by Cammy; 25 February 2010 at 18:34.
Old 13 February 2010, 11:54   #6
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdyT View Post
The power switch I used to repair mine was SW00450 from CPC, that was a few years ago now but they still sell them. chsinteractive also sell the same one under Part number MS139.
Thanks will go check those out
Old 13 February 2010, 13:35   #7
Washac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Your Amiga output will look better on a CRT monitor than it will on any LCD screen because the screen adjusts itself to the resolution you're outputting. If you have an Indivision for your Amiga, it will convert all signals to something a CRT VGA monitor can handle, and it will look just as good or better than it did on your 1084 monitor. If you use an Indivision and a LCD monitor you will notice that the image looks slightly blurred because the pixels are interpolating between each other to fill in the gaps between the pixels that are being output from the Amiga. The same thing will happen if you use an S-Video adapter and a LCD TV. The only way to avoid the blurry pixel look from an LCD screen is to run your Amiga in the same native resolution as the monitor. Since the highest resolution an AGA Amiga can output with the Indivision is 1024x768, you could find yourself a 15" LCD monitor with this native resolution, and your Workbench and applications will look very nice on the monitor (provided you're running in HighGFX mode) but your games will look pretty bad. A 320x256 game, for example, is doubled in size and then centred inside a 800x600 or 640x480 output, depending on what your monitor detects. Either way, you get a big black border around your games, or you get 16 lines cut off.
Hi Ya

Thanks for the info.

I have found a 17inch flatscreen with a 4.3 aspect ratio with a VGA input.

What exactly do I need to buy to make the connection ?

Thanks.
Old 14 February 2010, 00:13   #8
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
IF it is a monitor, you need a scandoubler, either an old external unit or an internal one. In last case prefer an Indivision AGA.
Old 14 February 2010, 05:12   #9
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
or the vga monitor must sync down to 15khz